Modeling Using Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the general solution of a tank with a decreasing volume that is proportional to the square root of the volume present. The first attempt at solving involves separating the variables and integrating, with the resulting equation being kt+C. The second attempt involves using initial and second conditions to find the constant of integration and proportion, respectively. Finally, the question asks for the volume at t=5 minutes, with the answer being V(5)=0. However, this answer may not be correct as it is unlikely for the tank to have zero gallons at 5 minutes.
olicoh

Homework Statement

Suppose the rate at which the volume in a tank decreases is proportional to the square root of the volume present. The tank initially contains 25 gallons, but has 20.25 gallons after 3 minutes. Solve for the general solution (do not solve for V).

The Attempt at a Solution

dV/dt = k√(V)

That's as far as I got. I know I have to "separate" the variables and whatnot, but there is no 't' to separate and differentiate from. I guess the equation would be: ∫1/√(V) dV = k∫ ___ dt
So my question is, since there is no 't' in the equation, what do I differentiate instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
your setup is correct, k is just some constant and whenever you integrate a constant with respect to x, t, z, etc. your left with k multiplied by the variable you integrated with respect to
so in your case, for the RHS youll get kt+C

miglo said:
your setup is correct, k is just some constant and whenever you integrate a constant with respect to x, t, z, etc. your left with k multiplied by the variable you integrated with respect to
so in your case, for the RHS youll get kt+C
That's what I thought. I just wanted to double check. Thanks!

I have another question (actually 3 questions):

3) Use the initial condition to find the constant of integration, then write the particular solution (do not solve for V).

Attempt at solution: 2√(25)=k(0) + C
My answer: 2√(V)=kt+10

4) Use the second condition to find the constant of proportion.

Attempt at solution: 2√(20.25)=k(3) + 10 --> 4=3k+10 --> -6=3k
My answer: k = -2

5) Find the volume at t = 5 minutes. Round your answer to two decimal places.

My attempt at the solution: 2√(V)=(-2)(5) + 10 --> 2√(V)=0
My answer: V(5)=0

^^^
For number 5... I'm not sure my answer is right. Using common sense, I don't think it's possible for the tank to be at zero gallons at 5 minutes. I think I might have done something wrong at number 4.

FAQ: Modeling Using Differential Equations

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on the rate at which it changes. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena in science, engineering, and economics.

2. How are differential equations used in modeling?

Differential equations are used to model a system by describing the relationships between the different variables involved and how they change over time. By solving these equations, we can predict how the system will behave in the future.

3. What types of systems can be modeled using differential equations?

Differential equations can be used to model a wide range of systems, including physical systems such as motion and heat transfer, biological systems such as population growth and disease spread, and economic systems such as supply and demand.

4. What are the benefits of using differential equations in modeling?

Using differential equations allows us to create more accurate and realistic models of complex systems. It also allows us to make predictions about how the system will behave in different scenarios and to understand the underlying mechanisms that drive the system.

5. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

There are several techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for different types of equations. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, are also commonly used for solving differential equations.

Back