Motion on Incline Homework- Solve 215 N Box Force & Friction

In summary: F=mgsin35, but I'm not sure what N is..In summary, the problem involves a 215 N box on an inclined plane at a 35.0º angle with the horizontal. The components of the weight force are 176 N in the x direction and 123 N in the y direction. For parts c, d, and e, you can use Newton's second law and the equation for coefficient of friction to find the force of friction and the coefficient of friction. The force of friction is equal to mgsin35 when the box is at rest and equal to F=ma when the box is accelerating down the incline at 5 m/s^2. The coefficient of friction is equal to
young

Homework Statement

A 215 N box is placed on an inclined plane that makes a 35.0º angle with the horizontal.

a) Draw a free body diagram which indicates all forces acting on the box.
b) Calculate components of weight force parallel and perpendicular to the plane.
c) If the crate is at rest, calculate the force of friction.
d) Now assume that the create accelerates down the incline at 5 m/s^2. What must force of friction be?
e) Find the coefficient of friction in part d

Homework Equations

http://www.algebralab.org/img/d0c27dd9-1bf4-48da-96bd-89f6397bc762.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/vectors/u3l3e7.gif

I know how to draw the free body diagram. I think the components of the weight force is mgcos35 and mgsin35 which is 176 and 123 respectively. I don't know how to do questions c, d, or e.

4. Sorry

I know I sound stupid asking this amateur question. I really need to stop sleeping in physics class...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
young said:
I know how to draw the free body diagram. I think the components of the weight force is mgcos35 and mgsin35 which is 176 and 123 respectively.
"respectively" will depend on which component you are stating first! The perp component is mgcos35.
I don't know how to do questions c, d, or e.

For c, what can you say about the force of friction if the box is at rest? For d, use the equation F=ma, which you state on your web link, but remember that F is the resultant force! For e, do you know an equation involving the coefficient of friction?

Your components are correct. Beware of the signs of these vector-components, but first things first:

Following the picture you added in the link, we define the x-axis along the incline (positive direction go in UPWARD direction) and the y-axis is perpendicular to the incline.

The gravity on the box gives us indeed :

1) x direction : -mgsin35
2) y direction : -mgcos35

Watch your signs of the vectors. Both components are in the opposite direction of the positive directions of x and y axis, hence the -.

Next questions :

c) the box is at rest (read : not moving down). This means that friction is strong enough to avoid the box from coming down. In b) you calculated the gravitycomponent along the x axis, which is the force responsible for sliding the block down. Apply Newton's second law (in the x direction) with these data

d) again, apply Newton's second law with the given data (both in x and y direction)

good luck

marlon

yeah thanks guys i think i figured it out. Friction is the same as mgsin35 since its at rest. friction with the acceleration would be F=ma. coefficient is F=(mu)*N

FAQ: Motion on Incline Homework- Solve 215 N Box Force & Friction

1. What is the formula for calculating motion on an incline?

The formula for calculating motion on an incline is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the force of a 215 N box on an incline with friction?

To calculate the force of a 215 N box on an incline with friction, you will need to use the formula F=μmgcosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What is the role of friction in motion on an incline?

Friction plays a significant role in motion on an incline as it acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can either increase or decrease the net force on an object. In this scenario, friction is responsible for slowing down the box's motion and preventing it from sliding down the incline too quickly.

4. How do you find the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

To find the coefficient of friction for a given surface, you can use the formula μ=F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object.

5. Can the force of friction ever be greater than the force of the object on an incline?

Yes, the force of friction can be greater than the force of the object on an incline. This can happen when the incline is steep, the coefficient of friction is high, or the mass of the object is large. In this case, the object may not be able to move at all or may move at a slower rate due to the strong force of friction acting against it.