Moving USB Boot Drive (RasPi OS) from Raspberry Pi 4 to Pi 5

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
If I just take the USB boot drive (Raspberry Pi OS) from a Pi 4 and plug it into a new Pi 5, will it work seamlessly just as before? Will it work at all? Or, is there a risk that it will become unusable on the original Pi 4 board?

... Given that it has been in use for a year and has lots of packages and upgrades installed on it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It will probably be fine. If it were me, I'd make a backup first, though.

Likes FactChecker and Swamp Thing
Vanadium 50 said:
It will probably be fine. If it were me, I'd make a backup first, though.
For an OS drive, "backup" means image clone.
The personal data of yours should be usable, but the OS and drivers are probably not directly usable.

Same processor, same architecture, same installer image - while it is not guaranteed to work, the odds don;t get much better. And yes, a backup means an image.

Likes FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
Same processor, same architecture, same installer image
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that 4 and 5 were so similar.

They have different SOCs, but they are still ARM cores.

Just learned that support for Raspberry 5 begins with the OS version based on Debian Bookworm.

If I try to boot from an old OS version, it says Raspberry Pi 5 is not supported on the installed OS, giving me an option to try anyway by setting an override flag. I decided not to try that, so I downloaded the latest OS for my Pi-5.

Likes FactChecker
Swamp Thing said:
Just learned that support for Raspberry 5 begins with the OS version based on Debian Bookworm.

If I try to boot from an old OS version, it says Raspberry Pi 5 is not supported on the installed OS, giving me an option to try anyway by setting an override flag. I decided not to try that, so I downloaded the latest OS for my Pi-5.
Thanks for the update. That is a wise move and definitely the safest.

Related to Moving USB Boot Drive (RasPi OS) from Raspberry Pi 4 to Pi 5

1. Can I simply move my USB boot drive with RasPi OS from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Raspberry Pi 5?

Yes, you can move your USB boot drive with RasPi OS from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Raspberry Pi 5 without any issues. The Raspberry Pi 5 is backward compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4, so the boot drive should work seamlessly on the new device.

2. Do I need to make any changes or configurations after moving the USB boot drive to a Raspberry Pi 5?

No, you should not need to make any changes or configurations after moving the USB boot drive to a Raspberry Pi 5. The operating system and settings should remain intact and work as expected on the new device.

3. Will moving the USB boot drive affect the performance or functionality of the Raspberry Pi 5?

No, moving the USB boot drive from a Raspberry Pi 4 to a Raspberry Pi 5 should not affect the performance or functionality of the new device. The Raspberry Pi 5 is designed to be compatible with existing setups, so you should not experience any issues.

4. Is it safe to hot swap the USB boot drive between Raspberry Pi 4 and Pi 5?

While it is generally safe to hot swap USB devices on Raspberry Pi devices, it is always recommended to shut down the device properly before removing or inserting any storage devices. This helps prevent any potential data corruption or damage to the device.

5. Are there any specific considerations I should keep in mind when moving the USB boot drive between Raspberry Pi models?

One consideration to keep in mind when moving the USB boot drive between Raspberry Pi models is to ensure that both devices are running compatible versions of the operating system. Additionally, make sure to back up any important data on the boot drive before transferring it to a new device.