Multivariable calculus, Integral using spherical coordinates

In summary, Homework Equations asks for a triple integral over the ball x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 16 where 2 ≤ z. The Attempt at a Solution uses spherical coordinates to set up the integral, but does not evaluate it.
wildleaf

Homework Statement

Using spherical coordinates, set up but DO NOT EVALUATE the triple integral of f(x,y,z) = x(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(-3/2) over the ball x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 16 where 2 ≤ z.

Homework Equations

x = ρ sin ϕ cos θ
y = ρ sin ϕ sin θ
z = ρ cos ϕ
ρ^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

∫∫∫w f(x,y,z) dxdydz
= ∫from θ1 to θ2 ∫from ϕ1 to ϕ2 ∫from ρ1 to ρ2 f(ρ*sinϕcosθ,ρ*sinϕsinθ,ρ*cosϕ) (ρ^2*sinϕ dρ dϕ dθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I graphed xy, xz, yz plane, and from there I tried to find θ, ϕ, and ρ. For ρ, I got 0≤ρ≤4, I am not too sure about the bottom bound (0). For ϕ, I got 0 ≤ ϕ≤ pi/4, I was told that the top bound (pi/4) is wrong. For θ, I got 0 ≤ θ ≤ pi, I think both the bounds are right for this one.

Then I plugged them into the triple intergal and changed x(x^2+y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) into spherical coordinate to get "ρ^-2*sinϕcosθ"

∫from 0 to pi ∫from 0 to pi/4 ∫from 0 to 4 ρ^-2*sinϕcosθ (ρ^2*sinϕ dρ dϕ dθ)
= ∫from 0 to pi ∫from 0 to pi/4 ∫from 0 to 4 (sinϕ)^2 cosθ dρ dϕ dθ

Can you please help me find the correct bounds for θ, ϕ, and ρ and I believe the function in spherical coodinates is right. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wildleaf! :smile:

(have a a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
wildleaf said:
For ρ, I got 0≤ρ≤4, I am not too sure about the bottom bound (0). For ϕ, I got 0 ≤ ϕ≤ pi/4, I was told that the top bound (pi/4) is wrong. For θ, I got 0 ≤ θ ≤ pi, I think both the bounds are right for this one.

yes, in this as in many integrals over a sphere, you can have either 0 ≤ θ ≤ π or 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π … which one you use for θ will affect the limits you use for ϕ :smile:

before we go any further, how would you describe the region (in words)? :wink:

ρ doesn't go from 0 because you have that plane at z=2 and figure out where that intersects the sphere it will help with the angle. I don't want to help to much.

In the xy plane, the region is a circle with radius of 4. The yz and xz plane looks similar, it also a circle with radius 4 but there is a line z = 2, and we want the top of the circle. HELP! ME!

In the xyz space, it would want the top half of the circle.

on the bounds of rho , we have z=2 and [itex] z=\rho cos(\phi) [/itex]
so [itex] \rho [/itex] will go from [itex] 2sec(\phi) [/itex] to 4 and that will make sure we are in the top half of the sphere .

Ohhh...
This is if I choose 0 ≤ θ ≤ π ?

θ will go from 0 to 2π . ϕ will go from 0 to where the plane intersects the sphere. which would be. and rho will go to what i said above.

0 ≤ θ ≤ 2n, 2sec(ϕ) ≤ ρ ≤ 4, 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ pi/4?

everything looks good except that top bound for ϕ , cos(ϕ)=1/2
what angle has a cosine of 1/2 , i got the 1/2 from 2/4

FAQ: Multivariable calculus, Integral using spherical coordinates

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables, such as three-dimensional space. It involves the study of limits, derivatives, and integrals in these contexts.

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use two angles, representing the latitude and longitude, and a distance from the origin to define a point.

How do you convert from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ), use the equations ρ = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = arctan(y/x), and φ = arccos(z/ρ).

What is an integral using spherical coordinates?

An integral using spherical coordinates is a method of calculating the volume under a three-dimensional function in spherical coordinates. It involves integrating over the radius (ρ), latitude (θ), and longitude (φ) to find the total volume.

What are some applications of multivariable calculus and spherical coordinates?

Multivariable calculus and spherical coordinates are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and 3D objects.