Need a free backup program for Windows

In summary, the conversation is about finding a free and simple program for differential backups on a Windows laptop. The user mentions previously using "Karen's Replicator" but is unsure if it's still up to date. They also mention FreeFileSync and ask for suggestions. Another person suggests using Macrium Reflect Free and mentions it can only do differential and full backups. The topic of using robocopy is brought up, but the user wants to avoid command-line methods.
Doc Al
Mentor
I'm looking for a free (and simple to use!) program to do differential backups of my files on my Windows laptop. I don't want anything encrypted, just something that can compare files to the backup and add/subtract whatever's been changed.

Years ago, I used "Karen's Replicator". Not sure if that's been kept up to date (after Karen's death). I see something called FreeFileSync, but know nothing about it.

Suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've been using Macrium Reflect Free (free version) for a while and so far, so good. The free version can only do differential (and of course full) and not incremental backups.

Is robocopy good enough?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is robocopy good enough?
I want to avoid command-line backup methods. (I'm lazy!)

Well, you can schedule the task. Then there is no user interface, graphical or otherwise.

Related to Need a free backup program for Windows

1. What is a good free backup program for Windows?

A good free backup program for Windows is EaseUS Todo Backup Free. It offers comprehensive backup and recovery features, including system backup, file backup, and disk/partition backup.

2. Is Windows Backup and Restore a reliable option for free backup?

Windows Backup and Restore is a built-in backup tool in Windows, but it may not be the most reliable option for free backup. It lacks some advanced features and flexibility compared to third-party backup programs.

3. Can I use Google Drive or Dropbox for free backup on Windows?

While Google Drive and Dropbox offer cloud storage services, they are not designed specifically for backup purposes. They can be used for storing files, but they may not provide the comprehensive backup features that dedicated backup programs offer.

4. Are there any limitations to using a free backup program for Windows?

Some free backup programs for Windows may have limitations on the amount of data you can backup, the types of backup options available, or the frequency of backups. It's important to review the features and limitations of each program before choosing one.

5. How often should I backup my Windows computer using a free backup program?

It is recommended to backup your Windows computer regularly, ideally daily or weekly, depending on your usage and the importance of the data. This will ensure that you have up-to-date backups in case of system failures or data loss.