Need a little help with motion on an inclined plane

In summary: So I'd say that your diagram is not very clear.In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of an object on a tilted plane with a weight of 1.4 kg and a coefficient of friction of 0.2. The forces involved include the normal force, friction force, and the force moving the object. The solution involves breaking down the forces into components parallel and perpendicular to the surface, and using relevant equations to solve for the acceleration.
inv4lid

Homework Statement

On a plane tilted at the angle of 30 degrees with the horizon lies an object, whose weight is equal to 1.4 kg. The coefficient of friction between the object and the plane is equal to 0.2. Find acceleration.
OXOeVi-kSKaohskdwF8JPg.png

m = 1,4kg; (weight)
Angle (A) = 30 degrees.
COF µ = 0,2
Ff - friction force
N - reaction
F1 - force that moves the object (the very-right one)

Homework Equations

(vector form of resultant force) Ff + N + G + F1 = m*a;

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to project forces' vectors on OX and OY axis.
Projecting on OX we get:
Nx = N;
Gx = 0;
F1x = -F1; (against OX)
Ffx = G*sinA;
Using that data, we can obtain something like that:
N + G*sinA - F1 = m*a;Projecting on OY we get:
a = 0;
F1 = 0;
Ny = mgcosA;
Gy = -mg;
Ffy = 0;
-> mgcosA - mg = 0 ; - somehow weird, correct me pls.
I'm also not sure about the N projected on OX.
ty in advance!

Attachments

• OXOeVi-kSKaohskdwF8JPg.png
    OXOeVi-kSKaohskdwF8JPg.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the acceleration parallel to the surface the object is gliding on (30° angle to the horizontal), correct? Then it is easier to project the forces on a rotated coordinate system parallel to the surface and normal to it (according to the directions of your forces ##N## and ##F##).

What are the forces ##F_f## and ##F_1##? Your ##N## does not act orthogonally on the surface. Did you draw it like that on purpose?

Likes inv4lid
stockzahn said:
Did you draw it like that on purpose?
wpvXc7nBRYOsRf7-q4Mz1g.png

I just tried to draw same thing that's on wiki. My img can possibly be imprecise, as i don't really get what is the line mg*cosA represents...
stockzahn said:
You want to find the acceleration parallel to the surface the object is gliding on (30° angle to the horizontal), correct?
Yes.

Attachments

• wpvXc7nBRYOsRf7-q4Mz1g.png
    wpvXc7nBRYOsRf7-q4Mz1g.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 796
inv4lid said:
View attachment 218590
I just tried to draw same thing that's on wiki. My img can possibly be imprecise, as i don't really get what is the line mg*cosA represents...

In a coordinate system with a horizontal and a vertical axis (##x##,##z## in my drawing below), the weight force ##G=mg## is parallel to the ##z##-axis and points downwards. Now you want to calculate the motion parallel to the surface (since the box cannot/does not move normal to it). Therefore you change the coordinate system rotated by the angle ##\Theta## (##x'##,##z'## in my drawing below), where the surface is parallel to the ##x'##-axis. Now you want to transform the force ##G## into the new coordinate system by finding two orthogonal forces (vectors), whose sum yields the original force ##G##. This can be done using trigonometry. The component of ##G## pointing parallel to the surface can be calculated with ##G_{x'}=mg sin\Theta##, the component of ##G## pointing orthogonally to the surface can be calculated with ##G_{z'}=mg cos\Theta##. The sum of the two forces (vectors) results in the original force ##G##.

Is this explanation sufficient to understand the components ##mg sin\Theta## and ##mg cos\Theta##?

Attachments

• BoxPlane_02.jpg
    BoxPlane_02.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 418
Likes inv4lid
inv4lid said:
Nx = N;
That would say the normal force is horizontal. Clearly it is not. What component of the normal force acts in the X direction?
inv4lid said:
F1 - force that moves the object (the very-right one)
Do you mean that F1 is the net force? You have that pointing up the slope, and the friction force pointing down(!)
inv4lid said:
Ffx = G*sinA;
You do not seem to understand friction. You should have listed a relevant equation for this: the kinetic friction force is the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the normal force, FkkN.

Likes inv4lid
inv4lid said:
View attachment 218590
I just tried to draw same thing that's on wiki. My img can possibly be imprecise, as i don't really get what is the line mg*cosA represents.
The diagram is a little confusing because it fails to distinguish between applied forces and their resolution into components. There are only the three applied forces, mg, N and f. You can replace mg by mg sin(θ) and mg cos(θ), but it is a bit misleading to show these as well as the original mg all on the same diagram, all using the same style of line and arrow.

Likes inv4lid

Related to Need a little help with motion on an inclined plane

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface set at an angle. It allows for the movement of objects along its length, and reduces the amount of force needed to move an object up or down compared to lifting it directly.

2. How does an inclined plane affect motion?

An inclined plane affects motion by changing the direction and magnitude of the force required to move an object. The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force needed to move an object up or down it. A shallower angle requires less force, but the distance the object must travel is longer.

3. What is the formula for calculating motion on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating motion on an inclined plane is F = mgsinθ, where F is the force needed to move the object, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

4. How does friction affect motion on an inclined plane?

Friction can affect motion on an inclined plane by slowing down or stopping the movement of an object. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and increases as the angle of the inclined plane increases. This means that more force is needed to overcome friction and keep an object moving on a steeper inclined plane.

5. How can we use an inclined plane to make tasks easier?

An inclined plane can make tasks easier by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. It allows for the use of gravity to assist in the movement of objects, making it easier to lift or lower heavy objects. Inclined planes are commonly used in ramps, stairs, and other forms of transportation to make tasks like loading and unloading easier.