Need help in understanding proof of continuity of monotone function

In summary, the proof shows that there is a continuous increasing function on the set $A$ that is only continuous at points in $A$ that belong to the set $C.$
kalish1
I am reading the following proof of a proposition from Royden+Fitzpatrick, 4th edition, and need help in understanding the last half of the proof. (My comments in italics.)----------Proposition: Let $A$ be a countable subset of the open interval $(a,b).$ Then there is an increasing function on $(a,b)$ that is continuous only at points in $(a,b)$ ~ $A.$

Proof: If $A$ is finite the proof is clear. Assume $A$ is countably infinite. Let $\{q_n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}$ be an enumeration of $A.$ Define the function $f$ on $(a,b)$ by setting $$f(x) = \sum\limits_{\{n|q_n \leq x\}} \frac{1}{2^n} \ \mathrm{for \ all} \ a<x<b,$$ where the sum over the empty set is zero.

Since a geometric series with a ratio less than $1$ converges, $f$ is properly defined. Moreover,

\begin{equation}
\mathrm{if} \ a<u<v<b, \ \mathrm{then} \ f(v)-f(u) = \sum\limits_{\{n|u<q_n \leq v\}} \frac{1}{2^n}. \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)
\end{equation}

Thus $f$ is increasing.

I follow so far.

Let $x_0 = q_k$ belong to $A.$ Then by (1), $$f(x_0)-f(x) \geq \frac{1}{2^k} \ \mathrm{for \ all} \ x<x_0.$$ Therefore $f$ fails to be continuous at $x_0.$ Now let $x_0$ belong to $(a,b)$ ~ $C.$ Let $n \in \mathbb{N}.$ There is an open interval $J$ containing $x_0$ for which $q_n$ does not belong to $J$ for $1 \leq k \leq n.$ We infer from (1) that $|f(x)-f(x_0)|<1/2^n$ for all $x \in J.$ Therefore $f$ is continuous at $x_0.$

Why are the claims of $f$ continuous/discontinuous true? I need some clarification.

This question has been crossposted at real analysis - Need help in understanding proof of continuity of monotone function - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kalish,

I am headed out to a barbeque, so I don't have a lot of time for this post, but here are some hints:

To verify the discontinuity of \(\displaystyle f,\) note that in the inequality

\(\displaystyle f(x_{0})-f(x)\geq \frac{1}{2^{k}}~~~x<x_{0},\)

\(\displaystyle k\) is fixed. That means no mattter how close you take \(\displaystyle x<x_{0},\) the difference \(\displaystyle f(x_{0})-f(x)\geq \frac{1}{2^k}.\)

To prove continuity, use \(\displaystyle j\) as the summation index in (1) (so that you don't confuse it with the fixed \(\displaystyle n\) being used by Fitzpatrick in the argument for continuity). Then, for the chosen neighborhood \(\displaystyle J\) of \(\displaystyle x_{0},\) we have (assuming \(\displaystyle x_{0}<x\))

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}
\sum_{\{j\vert x_{0}<q_{j}\leq x\}}\frac{1}{2^{j}}&\leq \sum_{j=n+1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{j}}\\
&=\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1+j}}\\
&=\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{j}}\\
&\leq\frac{1}{2^{n}}
\end{align*}\)

Hopefully those hints will get you going in the right direction. Let me know if anything is still confusing/not quite right, and I will write back when I return.

Last edited:

FAQ: Need help in understanding proof of continuity of monotone function

1. What is a monotone function?

A monotone function is a function that either always increases or always decreases as its input variable increases. In other words, the function either always goes up or always goes down, without any sudden jumps or changes in direction.

2. What is the importance of proving continuity in a monotone function?

Proving continuity in a monotone function is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has no sudden jumps or breaks. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations based on the function's behavior.

3. What is the definition of continuity in a monotone function?

A monotone function is continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. In mathematical terms, this means that the limit of the function as the input variable approaches a certain value is equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. How is continuity proven in a monotone function?

To prove continuity in a monotone function, we must show that the limit of the function as the input variable approaches a certain value is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of limits or by using the intermediate value theorem.

5. Are there any specific techniques for proving continuity in a monotone function?

Yes, there are specific techniques that can be used to prove continuity in a monotone function. These include the squeeze theorem, where the monotone function is bounded by two other functions, and the monotone convergence theorem, where the function is shown to be increasing or decreasing towards a limit.