Need to find out the name of this alloy

• Thread starter aiat_gamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alloy
In summary, this alloy is a nonstandard high-carbon nickel-chromium steel. It is similar to some tool steels, but has a lower Ni and Cr content.
aiat_gamer
I have the composition for this alloy that I have to find out which metallic material it is supposed to be:

Fe:96.23%
C:0.623%
Cr:1.098%
Ni:1.0028%
Si:0.4219

My guess it it is among the tool steels family but I can't be sure...

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a high-carbon (C > 0.6%, but just barely), low alloy nickel-chromium steel. It is similar to some tool steels.

http://www.keytometals.com/Articles/Art62.htm
nickel-chromium steels

Many steels of this level have some Mn or Mo in them.

I haven't found a carbon steel with 1%Cr, 1%Ni 0.4%Si, although a few are close.

Similar alloy compositions have either higher Ni or Cr.

The sum of the C, Cr, Ni, Si = 3.1457%

The total Fe, C, Cr, Ni, Si = 99.3757%, so is there something missing (e.g., ~0.6243% Mn), or the Cr or Ni is a bit higher?

It might be that Cr and Ni are a bit higher since I wrote the composition off of some software that we have at Lab. If that is the case then what will the alloy be?

The alloy seems to be a non-standard alloy. Most of what I can readily find contains Mn and less or no Si.

Code:
             C         Mn       Cr         Ni
SAE 3150 0.48/0.53 0.70/0.90 0.70/0.90 1.10/1.40
SAE 3250 0.45/0.55 0.30/0.60 0.90/1.25 1.50/2.00

So it could be a derivative of 3260, but the Ni of one's sample is too low.

Si is not part of the 3100 or 3200 series, and they have Mn. In one's sample, the Si is at the roughly the same mid-range value of the Mn level for 3260.

These may be of use:
http://www.timken.com/en-us/Knowled...s/Timken_Practical_Data_For_Metallurgists.pdf
http://www.secowarwick.com/htdb/HeatTreatingDataEBook.2011.pdf

One could try to find an electronic copy of Woldman's engineering alloys By Norman Emme Woldman, John P. Frick, and search for C 0.6 and then try to find alloys with about 1% each of Cr and Ni, and 0.4% Si.

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on the composition provided, it is likely that this alloy is a type of tool steel. However, without further information such as specific processing methods or additional elements present, it is difficult to determine the exact name of the alloy. I recommend conducting further research and analysis, such as comparing the composition to known tool steel alloys, to accurately identify the alloy.

Related to Need to find out the name of this alloy

1. What is an alloy?

An alloy is a mixture of two or more elements, where at least one of the elements is a metal.

2. How is an alloy different from a pure metal?

An alloy has different properties and characteristics than a pure metal, such as increased strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion.

3. How can I find out the name of an alloy?

You can find out the name of an alloy by identifying the elements present in the mixture and using a periodic table or other resources to determine the name of the alloy based on its composition.

4. What are common methods for identifying an alloy?

Common methods for identifying an alloy include using a spectrometer, conducting chemical tests, and analyzing its physical properties such as density and melting point.

5. Why is it important to know the name of an alloy?

Knowing the name of an alloy is important for understanding its properties, potential uses, and potential hazards. It also allows for proper labeling and handling of the alloy.