New Way to Get Drugs into the Brain

• Medical
  • Thread starter DigEagle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Drugs
In summary: I think we'll have to wait and see if this can be translated to humans in a meaningful way.In summary, scientists have developed a new procedure for administering drugs directly into the brain. This could have major implications for the treatment of neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. However, this approach has some limitations, including the potential for opening up the blood-brain barrier for a period of time, and the potential for the drug to be broken down into toxic compounds if not eliminated quickly.
DigEagle
Hey everyone,

I found this really interesting article at Technology Review about a new procedure scientists have developed for administering drugs directly into the brain. This could potentially have major implications for the treatment of such neurological disorders as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. You can check out the full article here:

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16982&ch=biotech

Biology news on Phys.org
Pretty interesting. I'd have expected something like that to have the effect of a sledge-hammer, so was surprised to see that they're saying it's reversible, and within only a few hours.

I would be a little bit scared knowing that my blood-brain barrier would be open for 4 hours, that's a lot of time for nasty things to get in there. Also assuming that a single-administration of the drug probably will not do, it would mean that the barrier will be opened up multiple times. It's a cool approach, though, I would be interested to see what actual applications come out of it.

muadib2k said:
I would be a little bit scared knowing that my blood-brain barrier would be open for 4 hours, that's a lot of time for nasty things to get in there.
Yes, that's certainly a major limitation. There's no specificity, so while your drug can get across, so can microbes. I'd have to wonder what disease is so severe that one would consider worth the risk of meningitis an acceptable possible side effect of the treatment, unless you were actually treating meningitis or another brain infection of some sort. Getting antibiotics across the blood-brain barrier is really difficult, so only a few are available that are effective for this. If you happen to have an infection with something resistant to those (perhaps as the result of a trauma or surgical complication), getting an alternative antibiotic across the blood-brain barrier seems worth this risk.

Also assuming that a single-administration of the drug probably will not do, it would mean that the barrier will be opened up multiple times. It's a cool approach, though, I would be interested to see what actual applications come out of it.

I'd be curious too. It may have more applicability in an experimental setting than a clinical setting, where a response to a single administration of a drug may be all that you want to test (and not necessarily in humans), then leave it to the biochemists and pharmacologists to figure out how to get it across an intact blood-brain barrier later, when it's demonstrated the drug actually will do what it's supposed to once across.

I don't know what application it could possibly have for Parkinson's or Alzheimer's other than people like to toss those out as examples every time there's a new technology available even when it really won't help with them because those are familiar to most people.

It may have more applicability in an experimental setting than a clinical setting, where a response to a single administration of a drug may be all that you want to test (and not necessarily in humans), then leave it to the biochemists and pharmacologists to figure out how to get it across an intact blood-brain barrier later...

Thats a really good point, and I can see this technique being used in order to elucidate the efficacy and potency of various drugs in vivo. However, with that said, when dealing with drugs you also have to consider their metabolic products. In many instances drugs get broken down to compounds that are very toxic and may do more harm if not eliminated rapidly from the body. The way I see it, getting a drug into the brain is only half the battle; you would have to ensure its metabolite(s) can also get out. It would be hard enough to make a drug that can easily cross the barrier and whose metabolic product can leave.

But I totally agree with you on this technique being more useful in a experimental setting and not clinical, at least for now.

Related to New Way to Get Drugs into the Brain

What is the "New Way to Get Drugs into the Brain"?

The "New Way to Get Drugs into the Brain" refers to a method of delivering medications directly to the brain by bypassing the blood-brain barrier. This barrier is a protective layer of cells that prevents certain substances from entering the brain.

How does this method work?

This method involves using specialized nanoparticles or carriers that are able to cross the blood-brain barrier and deliver the medication directly to the brain. These carriers may be designed to target specific areas of the brain or to release the medication at a controlled rate.

What are the potential benefits of this method?

One major benefit of this method is that it allows for more precise and targeted delivery of medications to the brain. This can lead to more effective treatment of neurological disorders and potentially reduce side effects. It may also allow for the use of medications that were previously unable to cross the blood-brain barrier.

Are there any risks or drawbacks to this method?

As with any new medical technique, there are some potential risks and drawbacks to consider. Some concerns include the potential for unintended side effects or toxicity of the nanoparticles used, as well as the possibility of the blood-brain barrier becoming compromised. Further research is needed to fully understand these potential risks.

What conditions or diseases could potentially benefit from this method?

This method has the potential to benefit a wide range of neurological disorders and conditions, including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, brain tumors, and drug addiction. It may also have applications in mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety.