No idea if I should take Physics?

In summary: It can be difficult to transition into college, but with good study habits and time management skills you should be able to do well.
kraphysics
I am in grade 12 and have gotten admission at a good university. I have registered in the "general sciences" with an undeclared major. Now I'm picking my classes. My trouble is I don't know what I'm doing. I love Physics so I want to take this course called "Newtonian Mechanics and Relativity", which is a first yeat calculus based course designed for physics majors. I can also take astronomy or chemistry but I'm unsure. How hard will this physics course be? No one else in my school is taking this course and it is discouraging because everyone says physics in university is really hard. It makes me doubt myself. I don't know what courses to take?

Or I can also take the Physics algebra based course or Physics 114 which is a conceptual course without much math.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will you have taken the prerequisites for the course?

lisab said:
Will you have taken the prerequisites for the course?

Well yes, I am currently finishind Calculus. It doesn't seem hard or anything BUT I have massive self doubt when it comes to Physics. On one hand, I know I can be good at it but on the other, I doubt myself. So the issue isn't prerequisites.

Those classes are generally pretty hard and kinda serve as weed out classes for physicists and engineers. Depends a lot on the school and professor though.

However you are interested then definitely take it. Especially since you are undeclared it might open your eyes to some majors. Especially if you doubt yourself, you should explore what it is. Hard for person A might be easy for person B and viceversa.

The only caveat I see is that it might be a hard transition into college but if you have good study habits and time management skills you'll be fine. Personally I didn't and that class sort of jump started my engines.

kraphysics said:
Well yes, I am currently finishind Calculus. It doesn't seem hard or anything BUT I have massive self doubt when it comes to Physics. On one hand, I know I can be good at it but on the other, I doubt myself. So the issue isn't prerequisites.
You shouldn't be asking yourself whether or not you are "smart" enough for physics, but whether or not it is what you really want to do. If it is truly your passion than go for it, don't doubt your ability.

Related to No idea if I should take Physics?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and using mathematical models to explain and predict natural phenomena.

2. Why should I take physics?

Physics is a fundamental science that is applicable to many other fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology. It helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are valuable in any career. Additionally, studying physics can lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of the world around us.

3. Is physics difficult?

Like any subject, physics can be challenging, but it also offers a sense of satisfaction when you understand complex concepts and solve difficult problems. With dedication and effort, anyone can learn physics and succeed.

4. Do I need to be good at math to take physics?

Math is an essential tool in physics and is used to describe and analyze physical phenomena. While having a strong foundation in math is helpful, it is not a requirement to take physics. With practice and guidance, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in physics.

5. What are the different branches of physics?

There are several branches of physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Each branch focuses on different aspects of the physical world, and together they form a comprehensive understanding of the universe.