Nodal Analysis of a Voltage Dependant voltage source, no pretty answer

In summary, the homework statement is that due to KCL, the current entering the voltage dependent source must equal the current leaving the dependent source. To solve for the vo voltage, I used a Ti-89 and found that the vo voltage was equal to 900/17 volts (~52.9412 Volts).
cybhunter

Homework Statement

five branches

left most branch: 50 Volt source
second left most: 10 ohm resistor
shared branch between the second left most branch and center: 10 ohms (Voltage drop from left to right= V delta)

center branch: 30 ohm resistor

between center and second right most: dependant voltage source (V delta/ 5)
second right most branch: 39 ohms
right most branch: 78 ohms

the second and right most branch have an unknown voltage 'vo'

find the vo voltage

Homework Equations

due to KCL, the current entering the voltage dependent source must equal the current leaving the dependent source:

vo=v2-(V delta/5) and v delta= 50 volts - v2

equating the currents:

(v2-50 Volts)/(10 ohms) +(v2)/(30 ohms) =(v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(39 ohms) + (v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(78 ohms)

rearranging the equation to equate to zero amperes:

(v2-50 Volts)/(10 ohms) +(v2)/(30 ohms) -(v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(39 ohms) - (v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(78 ohms)= 0 Amperes

using a Ti-89 to slove this (using the above equation as 'n1' and the output as 'v2')
solve(n1,{v2}) results in v2 being equal to 900/17 volts (~52.9412 Volts) meaning a V delta value of -2.9412 volts.

Checking the currents, the left side of the dependent source (not including the current across the 10 ohm resistor) is equal to 2.0589 Amperes, and the right side is equal to 2.0583 Amperes. Considering the ugly numbers I ended up mentioning it to my professor and he note that since it is a textbook example, the numbers should be integers and that the answer I got is wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

(see attached)

Considering that the currents are very very close, I can assume to an extant that I am setting up the equations properly. What am I missing though?

Attachments

• Problem_7.jpg
    Problem_7.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 736
Physics news on Phys.org

cybhunter said:
due to KCL, the current entering the voltage dependent source must equal the current leaving the dependent source:

vo=v2-(V delta/5) and v delta= 50 volts - v2

equating the currents:

(v2-50 Volts)/(10 ohms) +(v2)/(30 ohms) =(v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(39 ohms) + (v2-(50 volts -v2)/5)/(78 ohms)
If you look carefully at the terms of your equation, each one describes a current flowing out of the supernode:
attachment.php?attachmentid=55967&stc=1&d=1361468306.gif

As such, when you wrote the terms on the RHS of the equals sign they should have taken the opposite sign so that they would represent currents flowing into the supernode. As it stands you've equated one set of currents flowing out of the supernode with another set of currents also flowing out.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4 KB · Views: 943

Thanks

FAQ: Nodal Analysis of a Voltage Dependant voltage source, no pretty answer

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It involves applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown voltages.

2. What is a voltage dependant voltage source?

A voltage dependant voltage source is a circuit element that produces a voltage output that is dependent on the voltage at a different part of the circuit. This can be represented by a controlled voltage source in nodal analysis, where the output voltage is a function of the voltage at a specific node in the circuit.

3. How is nodal analysis applied to a circuit with a voltage dependant voltage source?

In nodal analysis, the voltage dependant voltage source is treated as a controlled voltage source and the output voltage is represented as a function of the voltage at a specific node. This voltage is then used in the KCL equations to solve for the unknown node voltages.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage dependant voltage sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage dependant voltage sources. Each source is treated as a controlled voltage source and the output voltage is represented as a function of the voltage at a specific node. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the unknown node voltages.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis for circuits with voltage dependant voltage sources?

One limitation of nodal analysis for circuits with voltage dependant voltage sources is that it can become more complex and time-consuming as the number of sources and nodes increases. In these cases, it may be more efficient to use other circuit analysis methods such as mesh analysis.