Node-Voltage Method for Calculating Power Delivered by Dependent Voltage Source

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using the node-voltage method to calculate the power delivered by a dependent voltage source. The relevant equations are the Kirchhoff's Current Law, Ohm's Law, and the power formula. The student shares their own workings and asks for clarification on the given solution. The expert points out errors in the equation and explains the correct approach, using one equation with two unknowns and substituting one to solve for the other. A helpful video is also shared as additional resource.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Use the node-voltage method to calculate the power delivered by the dependent voltage source.

Homework Equations

i1+i2+..in=0(KCL)
i=v/R
p=i*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted the solution below, but I'm going to post my own workings, based on just the circuit. I'm confused how they got their answer in the solution.

My workings:

v0-160/10Ω+i0/100Ω+150i0/50=0

I can reduce it to say i0*x=v0*x but I don't see how I could solve for either.

In their solution,they have (v0-150i0)/50 for the last part. Wouldn't it not be v0, since it's a different source?

Also, I have two unknowns, why did they only use one equation? I'm unsure of when I have to use one or two or more equations for node voltage questions. In this question, I felt like I would need two equations to solve it, but their solution only has one.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,171
Physics news on Phys.org
orangeincup said:

Homework Statement

Use the node-voltage method to calculate the power delivered by the dependent voltage source.

Homework Equations

i1+i2+..in=0(KCL)
i=v/R
p=i*v

The Attempt at a Solution

My workings:

v0-160/10Ω+i0/100Ω+150i0/50=0

The equation is wrong. You miss parentheses. You need to have sum of currents, but what is i0/100Ω? In the middle branch, you have iσ current. The dependent voltage source has emf=150 iσ. The current in the branch on the right the current is io, not the same as iσ. io flows through the potential difference V0-150 iσ.

ehild

ehild said:
The equation is wrong. You miss parentheses. You need to have sum of currents, but what is i0/100Ω? In the middle branch, you have iσ current. The dependent voltage source has emf=150 iσ. The current in the branch on the right the current is io, not the same as iσ. io flows through the potential difference V0-150 iσ.

ehild

Okay, I understand it better since I last posted. My equation now is the same as the solution,

(v0-160)/10 + v0/100 + (v0-150iσ)/50=0

Once I reduce it to iσ=(-v0/100), how do you solve for iσ or v0? I have only one equation and two unknowns.

Substitute iσ=(-v0/100) into the first equation. One unknown remains: v0. Solve for v0, use the value to get iσ=(-v0/100).

ehild

Where does iσ=(-v0/100) come from? Is it because of the middle?

The downward current on the middle branch is v0/100. The upward current is denoted by iσ.

ehild

Related to Node-Voltage Method for Calculating Power Delivered by Dependent Voltage Source

What is the Node-Voltage Method?

The Node-Voltage Method is a technique used in circuit analysis to calculate the voltage at each node in a circuit, taking into account all the voltage sources and resistors present.

What is a Dependent Voltage Source?

A Dependent Voltage Source, also known as a controlled voltage source, is a type of voltage source that is controlled by another parameter in the circuit, such as the voltage or current at another node.

How is Power Delivered by a Dependent Voltage Source Calculated using the Node-Voltage Method?

To calculate the power delivered by a dependent voltage source using the Node-Voltage Method, you would first determine the voltage at the node where the source is connected. Then, you would use this voltage to calculate the current flowing through the source. Finally, you would multiply the voltage and current to get the power delivered by the source.

Can the Node-Voltage Method be used for Circuits with Multiple Dependent Voltage Sources?

Yes, the Node-Voltage Method can be used for circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources, as long as the sources are not dependent on each other. Each dependent voltage source would be treated separately and the final voltages and power delivered would be the sum of the individual calculations.

What are the Advantages of using the Node-Voltage Method?

The Node-Voltage Method is a powerful tool that simplifies the process of circuit analysis, especially for circuits with multiple voltage sources. It also allows for a systematic approach to solving circuits, making it easier to identify and correct any errors in the analysis. Additionally, it can be used for both linear and non-linear circuits, making it a versatile method for calculating power delivered by dependent voltage sources.