Not a trick question: Why is violence bad?

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, these things [violence?] exist in a state of nature, but a social contract could provide for protection from some but not all of these, or could provide protection from outside dangers (wildfire, other tribes) but not from internal. Alternately, a social contract could provide for protection from entirely different threats (positive rights rather than negative rights, say) without protecting from these.But agents would in nature seek to partake in the social contract that most advantages and protects them. Do we not observe people migrating from the societies that fail to protect from internal (and not just external) violence?That and we generally appear to have an evolved strong psychological response (we feel empathy) when we witness harm.
poor mystic said:
Without a common goal, we can never achieve secure happiness.

In my experience very few people want to achieve happiness. They are way to busy with other things.

Physics news on Phys.org
JoeDawg said:
Evolution functions on the level of populations, not individuals. Self-sacrificing behavior is common throughout the animal kingdom.
Seemingly altruistic behaviour is common. What evidence do you have that evolution functions on the level of populations, rather than of reproductive individuals?

cesiumfrog said:
Seemingly altruistic behaviour is common.
You could characterize all observed behaviour that way. Not sure what your point is though.
What evidence do you have that evolution functions on the level of populations, rather than of reproductive individuals?

Biology class?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations.

JoeDawg said:
This is incorrect.

Evolution functions on the level of populations, not individuals. Self-sacrificing behavior is common throughout the animal kingdom.

If a creature with a self sacrificing gene has 10 offspring with that gene, some may have the opportuntity to sacrifice themselves, others won't, but the ones that do not, will benefit from the sacrifices of those who do, and then pass on the gene.

There is a similar evolutionary argument for the existense of homosexuality. Homosexuals siblings do not compete for mates, but do contribute to group survival. And even bacteria form communities.

Makes sense but i am not willing to push Evolution theory that far(yet). There are clear emergent traits in our development that cannot be solely attributed to Evolution. Can you explain art in terms of evolution? Or free will? I am not certain that self-sacrifice is entirely a gene-caused behavior, we are not entirely deterministic machines. I can contemplate whether to self-sacrifice or not, so in the end it's me who decides. But i agree with you that respective genes can and probably do play a role.

JoeDawg said:
Biology class?
I think what you were describing is a more controversial topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_selection"

Last edited by a moderator:
GeorgCantor said:
There are clear emergent traits in our development that cannot be solely attributed to Evolution.
Evolution is an evolving field. :)
Can you explain art in terms of evolution?
Communication via language facilitates group action, which increases survivability in social animals. Langauge is a form of symbol manipulation. Art is another form of symbol manipulation.
Or free will?
Is much less free than most people would like to believe.
I am not certain that self-sacrifice is entirely a gene-caused behavior, we are not entirely deterministic machines.
Like any human behaviour, its rarely a matter of one gene... likely many, and it only gives us a certain predisposition, environment also plays a role. The latter is how we are able to adapt.

And... Freewill requires determinism. You can't make a choice, if the result is random.
I can contemplate whether to self-sacrifice or not, so in the end it's me who decides. But i agree with you that respective genes can and probably do play a role.
You decide... based on your previous inputs. I'm not afraid of determinism, and I don't think it negates free will.

cesiumfrog said:
I think what you were describing is a more controversial topic:
Actually no, altruism is very complex. In animals, an altruistic male often attracts females, because his selflessness manifests as bravery... and thus an ability to provide. Altruism can also lead to his death, but not always.
So this is different from the claim that:
regardless of the alleles' effect on the fitness of individuals within that group.
Some, of course will make the group selection claim about altruism, but that I think oversimplifies a very complex topic.

Regardless, I stand by my earlier quote, evolution is about populations, but this is not the same as group selection, which is a very specific claim about how populations affect evolution.

Violence is good or bad depending on the group classification of the individual or group of individuals violence is acted upon. It seems that in any case of violence classification into the in-group and out-group is essential.

- Criminals is successfully classified as an out-group. Using violence towards people in the role as criminals as means to stop them doing crime is "good". Violence towards people not in the role of a criminal is "bad", because these are characterized (in the context of crime) as members of the in-group.

- The same goes for the opposing side in a war. Violence as means to stop people in the role of an enemy soldier of achieving their goals is "good". The moment their step out of their role as enemy soldiers; desertation, taken as prisoner, etc, their classification has changed.

Group classification is in my view necessary for determining whether an action is good or bad, although of course not sufficient. It is not "good" to use violence against the opposing football team. I also think this can be extended to a larger set of moral actions.

Last edited:
JoeDawg said:
Communication via language facilitates group action, which increases survivability in social animals. Langauge is a form of symbol manipulation. Art is another form of symbol manipulation.

Sounds cool but i don't agree that Shakespeare and Michelangelo were a gene mutation. We are bound to our genes but we are also spiritual beings now and we relate to each other through spiritual ideas and values.

Is much less free than most people would like to believe.

I, as a mortal human being, know very little about anything in the grand scheme of things(mind, consciousness, fundamental concepts, causality, reality) but in my view what you say is wrong. If free will is an illusion, it's nearly a perfect one as far we are able to tell.

And... Freewill requires determinism.

You are assuming way more than is justified. You implicitly assumed that free will is something to be explained through causality and the laws of physics as we know them. Free will is by far not the only thing that is yet to be explained(in fact we are merely scratching the surface of that which we call reality).

You can't make a choice, if the result is random.

You can't make a choice if you don't have choices. You can't explain free will within the current scientific paradigm.

You decide... based on your previous inputs. I'm not afraid of determinism, and I don't think it negates free will.

There is no way there could be a deterministic reality in a locality populated with beings of free will. If, on the other hand, every event plays out according to a script, then there is no concept of objectivity and consequently no truth.

GeorgCantor said:
There is no way there could be a deterministic reality in a locality populated with beings of free will. If, on the other hand, every event plays out according to a script, then there is no concept of objectivity and consequently no truth.

I share your dislike for strict determinism, but the alternative, truly random process, is no better regarding free will. A third option is the effectively deterministic process as a statistical convergence of random processes. But that doesn't get us free will either. So what is a scientific hypothesis for a basis of free will?

SW VandeCarr said:
I share your dislike for strict determinism, but the alternative, truly random process, is no better regarding free will. A third option is the effectively deterministic process as a statistical convergence of random processes. But that doesn't get us free will either. So what is a scientific hypothesis for a basis of free will?

The usual label - 'Emergent property'. It's well described but not understood.

Think about what:

"Corgito ergo sum" means if we had no free will. The abscence of free will negates the existence of objective reality, there can be no reality at all. The author of "I think therefore i am" is therefore reduced to a simple character in the Sims. You've correctly perceived my general predisposition of not letting go of free will. I don't particularly care about how reality is or what's underneath it(we are all one-way travelers to 'somewhere' anyway) but i will not accept that i don't exist in some way(different than information). Maybe the self-sacrifice gene is not present in my DNA.

Last edited:
GeorgCantor said:
The usual label - 'Emergent property'. It's well described but not understood.

Emergent properties still must be explained in terms of determinism and/or randomness. What else is there?

Dear SW VandeCarr
There is a principle which holds that your conclusion that "emergent properties still must be explained in terms of determinism and/or randomness" is unjustified.
In the following sentence, even you admit: "What else is there?"

What else indeed!
The conclusion cannot be verified without complete knowledge of all possible explanations of emergent properties. Since this knowledge is not available (to me), I recognise the un-testibility of the proposition, which I call a "null hypothesis" - a hypothesis that cannot be tested.

It has usually been my experience, when faced with a seeming null hypothesis, that some third way into the problem will present itself. Whenever this has happened in the past, the result has made the very question from which the difficult explanation arose, redundant.

poor mystic said:
Dear SW VandeCarr
There is a principle which holds that your conclusion that "emergent properties still must be explained in terms of determinism and/or randomness" is unjustified.
In the following sentence, even you admit: "What else is there?"

What else indeed!
The conclusion cannot be verified without complete knowledge of all possible explanations of emergent properties. Since this knowledge is not available (to me), I recognise the un-testibility of the proposition, which I call a "null hypothesis" - a hypothesis that cannot be tested.

It has usually been my experience, when faced with a seeming null hypothesis, that some third way into the problem will present itself. Whenever this has happened in the past, the result has made the very question from which the difficult explanation arose, redundant.

What I said is probably true in the context of current scientific knowledge. I asked the question because I might have missed something. So far no one, including you, has proposed an answer. What might be discovered in the future is not relevant. That can be said about almost any proposition. We can only make meaningful statements about the current state of knowledge. What makes science work is that it is tentative. New knowledge is always possible.

Although you can't say for certain, can you speculate as to what new principle that might be the basis of free will? I (and others) have an idea. Maybe you have the same idea. (It's not in any way metaphysical). It's a fairly familiar term.

We can't discuss anything too speculative, so I won't reveal the word unless you type it. If so, I'll tell you and we'll not discuss it further. The word itself and quite acceptable in a scientific forum, but is not thought of as some new philosophical/mathematical principle such as determinism and randomness, at least not at the same level. It's also relevant to the topic.

EDIT: By the way, your statement about the null hypothesis is wrong. We test the null hypothesis against an alternative hypothesis all the time.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Although you can't say for certain, can you speculate as to what new principle that might be the basis of free will?

What is the basis of anything? Why is 'free will' given a special treatment? I mean with the shocking realization that the universe doesn't have a structure(well certainly not a solid, physical structure) as depicted in GR, we lost the basis of everything. There are no simultaneous events in this reality, 2 events that appear simultaneous to an observer at rest are not simultaneous to an observer in motion(you can only calculate what the other observer will perceive or has perceived, but not what actually is). There is no objective picture of what actually is, and those involved in the actual research of the foundations aren't certain they know what they are talking about either. With that in mind, your question transforms into "What is the basis of anything?"(not just free will). What is 'causality' and 'determinism' in a universe with no universal simultaneous events?

I (and others) have an idea. Maybe you have the same idea. (It's not in any way metaphysical). It's a fairly familiar term.

We can't discuss anything too speculative, so I won't reveal the word unless you type it.

Why? The foundations of our knowledge are mostly speculative and hypothetical. As long as there is some evidence(even circumstantial) for your propositions and they are rational(in as much as reality is rational and you don't insist that your propositions are necessarily the only ones valid) i think the philosophy forum is the right place to discuss these issues. But you know better than me if your idea is taking things too far. If you can show that free will could have a rational explanation(and exists), it'd be relevant to the question if violence is fundamentally bad.

Last edited:
GeorgCantor said:
If you can show that free will could have a rational explanation(and exists), it'd be relevant to the question if violence is fundamentally bad.

That would be very ambitious and of course I cannot 'show' there's anything more than the choice of a fully deterministic universe (GR) or one that is probabilistic at the most fundamental level (QM). Neither is friendly to free will and I challenged anyone to suggest a third alternative. That's not to say there's something else besides GM and QM or some future merged theory. But perhaps the basis of what we think of as free will is emergent in very complex networks like the brain or some future AI that is not fully deterministic but not random either. There is fairly common term that encapsulates this concept. It's not consciousness, but something that appears earlier in evolution, but only manifests in a massive and obvious way with modern humans and our technological civilization. Moreover, it can be seen in action in functional MRIs of the brain.

Last edited:
I largely agree with apeiron's general point. On an individual level, there is a lot of subjectivity involved in what is bad and good. After a certain point though, it's pedantic to dismiss the significant congruences between large groups of people. That is, we have systems of good and bad.

The systems are objective things. This shouldn't be confused with a constant good/bad set (i.e. objective morality) but I think it's becoming more obvious from a game theory point of view that this system is governed by rules.

In the end it's a question of what people like and what they don't like, which emerges from how people respond to stimuli. Obviously, violence causes pain, and pain causes suffering. We have a negative response to suffering (quite the opposite response, in fact, than we do for pleasure). This can be shown even at the neural level in the basil ganglia with reward-based learning, but more importantly, on the level of consciousness I think (hope) must of understand the difference between a negative experience and a positive experience. And furthermore, we tend to avoid negative experiences and pursue positive experiences. If we all agree and what experiences belong under which category, we'd all love our laws. On the other hand, there are a few select laws (no killing, stealing, or hurting, for example) that the majority of us can agree on.

I'm also intrigued by the "free energy principle of the brain" I've always found the consequences of Maxwell's Demon very interesting.

Where I would disagree with apeiron is that the general point of view is the best. I think a general point of view is necessary but insufficient (as is a specialized point of view). A more dynamic and adaptive point of view should be able to scale their perspective from the general to the specific as needed because both perspectives have their flaws. This is especially true in law and morality, where we have general rules to follow, but still handle cases... well, case by case.

Pythagorean said:
I'm also intrigued by the "free energy principle of the brain" I've always found the consequences of Maxwell's Demon very interesting.

The free energy energy principle has important implications regarding anticipatory states and the focusing of widespread brain activity for coordinated action.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/34/9141

oops! This was the link I was saving. Well, cat's out of the bag. This is the link for intentionality. Here's the link for the free energy principle of the brain:

http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~karl/The free-energy principle A unified brain theory.pdf

Last edited:
Surely we might have disposed of the question of free will in another discussion, for in accepting that good and bad exist don't we imply the liberty to be good, to be bad?

GeorgCantor said:
Sounds cool but i don't agree that Shakespeare and Michelangelo were a gene mutation. We are bound to our genes but we are also spiritual beings now and we relate to each other through spiritual ideas and values.
Spiritual?? I don't even know what that means. If you mean some supernatural mumbo jumbo, then I don't see how it is even useful to talk about it.

There is more to Shakespeare than genes... there is more to you and I than genes, we have our whole lives, and the whole world, as influence, how we grew up, a very complicated process. Genes is just the starting point, but spiritual... that just sounds like magic. Spiritual is an empty word that explains nothing.
You implicitly assumed that free will is something to be explained through causality and the laws of physics as we know them.
If it can't be... we're just puffing around about nothing.
Free will is by far not the only thing that is yet to be explained(in fact we are merely scratching the surface of that which we call reality).
Consciousness is a complicated thing... but I don't see any reason that it requires a non-physical process, even if we don't understand it yet. We're still scratching the surface on a lot of things.
You can't make a choice if you don't have choices.
This is where I think you are making the mistake. Like many others you have a self-contradictory view of what 'freewill' is. You imply that because we make choices based on a history, we are not free. But that is how choices get made.

We are not billiard balls, we don't just react to force and velocity in the things around us. We have internal processes. That is where choice is. And no, its not magical.
But you see that's the flaw in your logic. There is no script. We write our own script. What most people forget with this kind of analogy is that there is a writer for every script. That is us, and no one, even us, knows what we are going to write, until we do it. Determinism just means things will follow from what has gone before, it doesn't mean they have already happened.

Many people want freewill to be some magical thing... and if you look to history... the main reason for this idea of freewill is the sin blame game. The world is imperfect, there is suffering, if god is good... then why ... but...humans are free... so its our fault. Its a theological shell game.

If that is the kind of freewill you think must exist... then yes, you'd need to be spiritual, because that makes no sense at all.

poor mystic said:
Surely we might have disposed of the question of free will in another discussion, for in accepting that good and bad exist don't we imply the liberty to be good, to be bad?

Disposed of the issue of free will? Because you objected to my disposing of it, I now raise the issue of intentionality. See the post above. I was saving it to see if you or anyone else might bring it up to 'save' free will. The existence of objective good and evil by humans has in no way been accepted since they require willful action.

Last edited:
JoeDawg said:
Determinism just means things will follow from what has gone before, it doesn't mean they have already happened.

If things will follow from what has gone before, then where does the causal chain begin? Why isn't this a script for predetermination?

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr has brought us the following link :http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/34/9141.
In a paper in neuroscience I found following the link, an area of the human brain is found to have been excited during decisions whether or not to act.
I'm not sure how to interpret it, though.
I don't think that locating this set of cells proves anything about consciousness, but what of relevance does it prove?

apeiron, you seem to generally take the behavioristic line of reasoning in questions regarding ethics. Purely in interest of hearing your opinion about it; how do you make up for the loss of individual perspective?

poor mystic said:
SW VandeCarr has brought us the following link :http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/27/34/9141.
In a paper in neuroscience I found following the link, an area of the human brain is found to have been excited during decisions whether or not to act.
I'm not sure how to interpret it, though.
I don't think that locating this set of cells proves anything about consciousness, but what of relevance does it prove?

Your posts are getting tiresome. Either you strive for more accuracy in your posts or will have to report you. What I quoted above is considered a side comment referencing me by name in a negative way. This is a clear violation. I will report you if you do it again,

1.The issue is intentionality, not consciousness..

2. This or any investigative paper provides evidence, not proof.

3. If you don't know how to interpret something then don't try (as you did in the following sentence.)

If you have something intelligent to contribute, do it. Otherwise don't post in response to any of my posts again. I will consider that harassment, another violation.

Last edited:
JoeDawg said:
Spiritual?? I don't even know what that means. If you mean some supernatural mumbo jumbo, then I don't see how it is even useful to talk about it.

There is more to Shakespeare than genes... there is more to you and I than genes, we have our whole lives, and the whole world, as influence, how we grew up, a very complicated process. Genes is just the starting point, but spiritual... that just sounds like magic. Spiritual is an empty word that explains nothing.

If you manage to unambigously define what 'physical' is, i will unabiguously define what 'spiritual' is.

If it can't be... we're just puffing around about nothing.

You thought we were making progress on what free will is?

This is where I think you are making the mistake. Like many others you have a self-contradictory view of what 'freewill' is. You imply that because we make choices based on a history, we are not free. But that is how choices get made.

This is a description, not an explanation and deterministic causal events predclude free will.

We are not billiard balls, we don't just react to force and velocity in the things around us. We have internal processes. That is where choice is.

Yes, we have deterministic internal processes. How exactly does that point to free will? What kind of logic requires you to use reductionistic approaches to emergent behavior? And what makes you think it will EVER work?

And no, its not magical.

So free will is determined by our internal processes(i.e. we don't have free will), but in the end you are saying we somehow have free will. You just proved that it must be a magical process, even by your own standards.

But you see that's the flaw in your logic. There is no script. We write our own script.

So the deterministic internal processes cause 'free will'? What exactly are you talking about??

What most people forget with this kind of analogy is that there is a writer for every script. That is us, and no one, even us, knows what we are going to write, until we do it.

And 'we' is simply the deterministic internal processes as you said. Sounds vey contradictory if you push the free will notion.

Determinism just means things will follow from what has gone before, it doesn't mean they have already happened.

Happened or not, deterministic causal events are pre-determined at the dawn of history(that includes your 'internal processes' that you believe cause you to have 'free will').

Many people want freewill to be some magical thing... and if you look to history... the main reason for this idea of freewill is the sin blame game. The world is imperfect, there is suffering, if god is good... then why ... but...humans are free... so its our fault. Its a theological shell game.

As far as free will is concerned it must be magical if no one can explain it. Your own theory is self-contradictory and the best you could say is that we don't have free will.

If that is the kind of freewill you think must exist... then yes, you'd need to be spiritual, because that makes no sense at all.

Oh i see, it doesn't make sense. So what? The universe with observers originating from a quantum fluctuation makes sense? Or a whole galaxy being reduced to the size of an atom or even zero by a black hole makes sense? Or single molecules going through 2 separate slits makes sense? Or a universe that has a malleable 'structure' makes sense? Which fundamental concept makes sense at all?

What is it about 'making sense' that makes it so obsessive that you appear intent to push it everywhere at all costs? Do you believe you are in the reality of common-sense? If you think so, you need to find yourself another reality.

Last edited:
Jarle said:
apeiron, you seem to generally take the behavioristic line of reasoning in questions regarding ethics. Purely in interest of hearing your opinion about it; how do you make up for the loss of individual perspective?

Not sure that I understand your question. But my view is that dichotomistic divisions intensify both the local and the global, so it is never a matter of either/or, always both. And that would mean here that greater social constraint would also produce greater individual autonomy.

It sounds paradoxical perhaps, but the more developed the social context regarding our actions - our knowledge of what should be done - the more starkly we must be aware of the fact we are making individual moment-to-moment choices. So there would be a gain in the individual perspective from culture encoding really strong principles.

For example, in some asian cultures, there is a high tolerance of social ambiguity. The social rules are not so clear cut and the sense of self is likewise more muddy. Ethics occupies more the middle ground of what is good for the family, the clan.

Western society created a much stronger separation so that the rules of society became the abstract laws of the land, and individuals became completely "free" to behave within that now very rigid framework of law.

So generalising the constraints creates the counter-move of an even more heightened sense of individuality. Freewill is then the effort we have to make to negotiate a path through all the extra choice we seem to have.

Really, this is why it is bizarre to have a constant debate about freewill when we perhaps have so much choice it is perhaps confusing.

Chance and necessity, randomness and determinism, are a correct dichotomy for micro-physics, the simplest systems. But when we are talking about brains and societies, the dichotomy is really spontaneity~autonomy.

Complex systems seem to have a creative spontaneity (developing to the edge of chaos) which allows bottom-up "unchosen" behaviour that is neither random nor determined. And they also have a top-down power of "chosen" behaviour.

More is different, as Polyani said. Complexity has its own character that just does not reduce neatly to micro-physical concepts.

DaveC426913 said:
Right. I was simply laying some groundwork to establish that we all pretty much agree that right and wrong are entirely human (subjective) concepts - rated by humans about humans.

Fine.

DaveC426913 said:
Well I'm hypothesizing that cause and effect are reversed.
You: our ethics lead to a stable society
Me: a stable society defines our ethics
We define right and wrong by what works. And that "what works" is directly proportional to how prosperous society is.

That's not my position. I have no interest in "what works" except insofar as modern ethics matches that. ("What works" as discussed here won't translate into my application at all.)

apeiron said:
Chance and necessity, randomness and determinism, are a correct dichotomy for micro-physics, the simplest systems. But when we are talking about brains and societies, the dichotomy is really spontaneity~autonomy. More is different, as Polyani said. Complexity has its own character that just does not reduce neatly to micro-physical concepts.

Apeiron, we clashed once before, but these are concepts that I can agree with. Determinism is a philosophical idea, not a scientific one. It's an assumption that most scientists feel comfortable with, but it cannot be proven to a scientific standard. When it comes to complex or chaotic systems, science will adopt deterministic models and that's fine if you don't confuse the model with reality. QM is also deterministic, but it's probabilities, not outcomes, that are well determined. I'm certainly not anti-science by any means, but I recognize its limits.

In terms of this thread, this philosophical view of scaling is important. We can't talk about objective good and evil if we can't make a non-theistic case for the possibility of willful action.

Last edited:
In regard to the original question of why violence is bad.

Given that this forum is materialistic, perhaps the challenge is to derive a moral theory from materialistic axioms.

I think a simple set of arguments involving the irrational destruction of order and implicit loss of energy to a parent society could be mounted. We could start from the judgement that "waste is bad" and carry on from there.

poor mystic said:
I think a simple set of arguments involving the irrational destruction of order and implicit loss of energy to a parent society could be mounted. We could start from the judgement that "waste is bad" and carry on from there.

In fact, as I have already argued, a materialistic or naturalistic perspective might have to say the opposite - the purpose of life and mind (bios) is to create waste. Life exists to dissipate energy gradients. This is the basis of dissipative structure theory and the maximum entropy production principle. So waste is in fact "good" if we mean what is most natural to life as a system.

This is counter-intuitive of course. But that is where science shows its strengths.

Having said that, out of control growth/waste can be "bad" for a particular species or ecosystem. Humans, for example, may shortly blow up because of their exponential entropification habits. And this would also be "bad" for the planet's Gaian level dissipation if it knocks the ability to create entropy as a biosphere.

So it is wasting energy at a sustainable long term rate (or in a fashion that ultimately produces the most entropy) which would be "good" for a material system - a dissipative structure.

So, apeiron: "the purpose of life and mind (bios) is to create waste?" I do not hope to argue you from this amazing belief.

poor mystic said:
We could start from the judgement that "waste is bad" and carry on from there.

But what is waste? If it's household refuse, then destroying all households would seem a natural solution.

GeorgCantor said:
If you manage to unambigously define what 'physical' is, i will unabiguously define what 'spiritual' is.
That's just evasive.
You thought we were making progress on what free will is?
I think we are. Neuroscience is in its infancy, but there are interesting things almost daily with regards to consciousness.
deterministic causal events predclude free will.
That is your opinion, and it is based on a self-contradictory definition of freewill.
Freewill requires determinism. Random events don't allow for choice.
Yes, we have deterministic internal processes. How exactly does that point to free will? What kind of logic requires you to use reductionistic approaches to emergent behavior?
It doesn't point to magical-freewill, but that is a contradiction in terms.
Freewill is about an individual having the ability to choose their course of action based on their own judgement. The fact you might be able to predict their choice, given some magical omniscient knowledge doesn't change the fact they are making the choice.
And what makes you think it will EVER work?
Optimism?
So free will is determined by our internal processes(i.e. we don't have free will)
When you define freewill in such a way that it can't exist, then yes it must be magical to exist. I don't define freewill that way, however.
So the deterministic internal processes cause 'free will'? What exactly are you talking about??
In simple terms, autonomy. But I'm thinking the problem here is that you are stuck on your magical 'spiritual' definition, and refuse to entertain any other definition as 'true freewill'.
Happened or not, deterministic causal events are pre-determined at the dawn of history
No, events are 'determined' by cause and effect. PRE-determined involves teleology, knowledge of events, and directed purpose, before they happen. And there are plenty of arguments against quantum level determinism, not that it matters really, unless your magical freewill involves atomic particles with freewill.

I don't believe that atoms have freewill, so quantum level examples aren't really useful.
As far as free will is concerned it must be magical if no one can explain it.
Huh?
Your own theory is self-contradictory and the best you could say is that we don't have free will.
Obviously I disagree... and its not my own theory. Its called compatiblism. Its not even new.
The universe with observers originating from a quantum fluctuation makes sense?
The fact we (you) still don't know or understand things doesn't mean you are justified in believing whatever takes your fancy.
Do you believe you are in the reality of common-sense? If you think so, you need to find yourself another reality.
Common sense is a myth.