Nuclear Fission Energy and Mass Loss

resurgance2001
Homework Statement
When a Uranium 235 nucleus absorbs a slow moving neutron and undergoes fission one possible pair of fission fragments is technetium 112 and Indium 122. In this reaction a further 2 neutrons are emitted. Given the binding energy per nucleon of U-235 = 7.59 MeV, the binding energy of Tc - 112 = 8.36 MeV per nucleon and 8.51 MeV per nucleon of In -122 , calculate the energy released in MeV when a single nucleus of U-235 undergoes fission in this way. Note that in the reaction there is a single incoming neutron which is absorbed by the U-235 nucleus to trigger the reaction.
Relevant Equations
Energy released = Binding Energy of products - Binding Energy of Reactant
(112 x 8.36 + 122 x 8.51) - 235 x 7.59 = 190.89 MeV

My question is what should I do about the incoming neutron on the left that starts the fission. My thinking is that it does not have any binding energy and therefore I left it out of the calculation. Is that correct? Thank you
CB7B5063-0FCC-4A42-853F-84FAD1D0A92E.jpeg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
resurgance2001 said:
Homework Statement: When a Uranium 235 nucleus absorbs a slow moving neutron and undergoes fission one possible pair of fission fragments is technetium 112 and Indium 122. In this reaction a further 12 neutrons are emitted.
Could there be a mistake in the question? As I read it:
You start with 235+1 = 236 nucleons.
You end up with 112+122+12 = 246 nucleons.
But the number of nucleons shouldn't have changed.

Steve4Physics said:
Could there be a mistake in the question? As I read it:
You start with 235+1 = 236 nucleons.
You end up with 112+122+12 = 246 nucleons.
But the number of nucleons shouldn't have changed.
I have edited the question. That was a typo which I have corrected. Thank you

resurgance2001 said:
Relevant Equations: Energy released = Binding Energy of products - Binding Energy of Reactant

(112 x 8.36 + 122 x 8.51) - 235 x 7.59 = 190.89 MeV

My question is what should I do about the incoming neutron on the left that starts the fission. My thinking is that it does not have any binding energy and therefore I left it out of the calculation. Is that correct? Thank you
Yes - that's correct. And, of course, the same applies to the two outgoing neutrons on the right.

The energy released here is entirely due to the change in binding energies – so you can ignore unbound nucleons.

You should be able to convince yourself of this by starting with 95 separate protons and 141 separate neutrons and finding the energy released when your use them to construct either:
a) an U-235 nucleus (+1 left-over neutron) or
b) a Tc-112 nucleus and an In-122 nucleus (+2 left-over neutrons).

Note, if you were given masses (rather than binding energies) you would have to consider the total masses on the left and right – which would have to include the unbound particles.

By the way, don’t forget that the final answer should be rounded to an appropriate number of significant figures.

Thank you

Likes Steve4Physics

FAQ: Nuclear Fission Energy and Mass Loss

What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, along with the release of a significant amount of energy. This process often produces free neutrons and photons (in the form of gamma rays) and releases a large amount of energy due to the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's equation E=mc².

How does mass loss occur in nuclear fission?

Mass loss in nuclear fission occurs because the total mass of the resulting fragments and emitted neutrons is less than the original mass of the nucleus. This "missing" mass has been converted into energy, following the principle of mass-energy equivalence. The energy released in the form of kinetic energy of the fission products and electromagnetic radiation is a direct result of this mass loss.

What is the role of neutrons in nuclear fission?

Neutrons play a crucial role in nuclear fission. When a heavy nucleus such as Uranium-235 absorbs a neutron, it becomes unstable and splits into smaller nuclei, releasing additional neutrons in the process. These newly released neutrons can then initiate further fission reactions in a chain reaction, which is the principle behind nuclear reactors and atomic bombs.

How is energy harnessed from nuclear fission in power plants?

In nuclear power plants, the energy released from nuclear fission is used to heat water, producing steam. This steam then drives turbines connected to generators, which convert the mechanical energy into electrical energy. The controlled chain reaction in the reactor core ensures a steady and manageable release of energy, which can be harnessed efficiently to produce electricity.

What are the safety concerns associated with nuclear fission energy?

Safety concerns associated with nuclear fission energy include the potential for reactor accidents, as seen in historical events like Chernobyl and Fukushima, which can release harmful radiation into the environment. Additionally, the management of radioactive waste, which remains hazardous for thousands of years, and the risk of nuclear proliferation, where fissionable material could be used to make nuclear weapons, are significant concerns that require stringent safety measures and international cooperation.