Number of Higgs "particles" per unit volume

mister i
TL;DR Summary
Is the number of Higgs "particles" per unit volume constant?
Is the number of Higgs "particles" per unit volume constant (or Higgs field value), even in expanding space?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mister i said:
the number of Higgs "particles" per unit volume
...is not even a meaningful quantity. The Higgs field is not even in a state with a meaningful "particle number" except in special cases like the interior of the LHC during an experimental run.

Likes Vanadium 50
PeterDonis said:
...is not even a meaningful quantity. The Higgs field is not even in a state with a meaningful "particle number" except in special cases like the interior of the LHC during an experimental run.
There is also a distinction between interactions with on-shell Higgs bosons v. interactions with off-shell Higgs bosons (i.e. virtual Higgs bosons).

But, while the particle part of the question is ill-posed, the question asking "Is the . . . Higgs field value [constant] . . ., even in expanding space?" Is not non-sensical on its face.

ohwilleke said:
the question asking "Is the . . . Higgs field value [constant] . . ., even in expanding space?" Is not non-sensical on its face.
Even the "Higgs field value" is problematic since a quantum field is not a number, it's an operator. But asking about something like the average energy density of the Higgs field would be reasonable. As far as I know that is constant as the universe expands, like dark energy density.

PeterDonis said:
...is not even a meaningful quantity.
Or it's zero pretty much everywhere.

Add "scare quotes" as necessary.