Number of lines equidistant from four points on a plane

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem with elementary solutions from a book. The solution is on page 41. The person trying to solve the problem is struggling with understanding how there can be 4 straight lines in one case. The other person clarifies that it is either four circles or three circles and a straight line, and explains how this can be possible.
mahblah
Homework Statement
Four points in the plane are given, not all on the same straight line, and not all on a circle. How many straight lines and circles can be drawn which are equidistant from these points?
Relevant Equations
by distance from a point P to a circle c with center O we mean the lenght of the segment PQ, where Q is the point where the ray from O in the direction OP meets c
Hi, i'm trying to solve this problem.

It's exercise 3 on page 5 from this book:
Challenging mathematical problem with elementary solutions

The solution is on page 41:

1683625713913.png

1683626064255.png

I'm OK with the 4 circles in case 1: i can pick (inside/outside):
ABC + D,
ABD + C,
ADC + B,
BCD + A.
What i cannot understand is how there can be 4 straight lines in case 1:
if three points stand on one side of the equidistant line, these point must be collinear, and so there is only one possible straight line (i cannot re-arrange them!)

1683626234473.png

where am I wrong?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The phrasing of the answer lead to a misunderstanding. It is never four straight lines, it is either four circles or three circles and a straight line. If A, B, and C are collinear, then you can draw a straight line as you did, and three circles concentric with the circles passing through ABD, ACD, and BCD.

Likes mahblah
Oh that makes sense
Thanks!

Related to Number of lines equidistant from four points on a plane

What is the definition of lines equidistant from four points on a plane?

Lines equidistant from four points on a plane are lines that maintain a constant distance from all four points. These lines are usually derived from geometric principles and can be related to the concept of the perpendicular bisectors of segments connecting the points.

How can you determine the number of lines equidistant from four points on a plane?

The number of lines equidistant from four points on a plane can be determined using geometric constructions and algebraic methods. Typically, this involves finding the perpendicular bisectors of the line segments connecting the points and analyzing their intersections and relationships.

Are there always lines equidistant from any four points on a plane?

No, there are not always lines equidistant from any four points on a plane. The existence and number of such lines depend on the configuration of the points. In some cases, especially if the points form a specific geometric shape like a rectangle or a square, there may be lines equidistant from all four points, but this is not guaranteed for arbitrary configurations.

What is the role of the circumcenter in determining lines equidistant from four points?

The circumcenter, which is the center of the circle passing through all four points (if they are concyclic), plays a crucial role in determining lines equidistant from the points. If the points are concyclic, the perpendicular bisectors of the sides of the quadrilateral formed by the points will intersect at the circumcenter, providing insights into the equidistant lines.

Can computational tools be used to find lines equidistant from four points on a plane?

Yes, computational tools such as geometric software and algebraic solvers can be used to find lines equidistant from four points on a plane. These tools can handle complex calculations and provide visualizations, making it easier to identify and analyze the equidistant lines.