Number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams

Therefore, the number of vacuum Feynman diagrams would be different in different dimensions. In summary, the statistical factor in a scalar quartic lagrangian is dependent on the number of space-time dimensions, as the number of available edges affects the number of ways to arrange the vertices of a graph.
th13
I didn't know where to put this, because it isn't a homework or coursework I have to do but just a thing I'm trying to understand. Anyway, I have attached the problem as an image.

We have a scalar quartic lagrangian in d dimensions. It says that the number of vacuum Feynman diagrams, at a given order λ^k, weighted by their statistical factor, should depend on the number of dimension d.
If understand well what the "statistical factor" is, i.e. the number of ways to join the vertices of a given diagram, I can't figure out how it could be dependent on the number of space-time dimensions d. Any suggestions?

Thank you and sorry for my English

Attachments

• probl.jpg
    probl.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
! The statistical factor is the number of ways to arrange the edges of a given graph. This includes factors such as symmetry, which can affect the number of ways a graph can be arranged. In the context of a scalar quartic lagrangian in d dimensions, the number of vacuum Feynman diagrams at a given order λ^k will depend on the number of space-time dimensions d because the number of ways to arrange a diagram is dependent on the number of available edges. For example, if d=2, then there would be fewer edges available to arrange the vertices of a graph than if d=3 or higher. This means that the number of ways to arrange the vertices of a graph would be lower in two dimensions than in three or higher dimensions.

Related to Number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams

What is the significance of the number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams?

The number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams is significant because it represents the number of possible ways in which particles can interact in a quantum field theory. These diagrams are used to calculate the probability of different particle interactions and are essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

How is the number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams calculated?

The number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams is calculated using the Feynman rules, which assign mathematical expressions to each vertex and propagator in the diagram. These rules take into account the type of particles involved, their interactions, and their corresponding energies and momenta.

Why is it necessary to "weight" the vacuum Feynman diagrams?

The term "weight" refers to the mathematical coefficients assigned to each Feynman diagram. These weights take into account the probability of each diagram occurring and are crucial in accurately predicting the outcomes of particle interactions. Without weighting, the calculations would not accurately reflect the real-world probabilities.

How do the number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams change for different quantum field theories?

The number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams can vary greatly depending on the specific quantum field theory being studied. For example, theories with more types of particles or more complex interactions will have a larger number of diagrams. Additionally, the number of diagrams can change depending on the specific process or interaction being analyzed.

Is there a limit to the number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of weighted vacuum Feynman diagrams, as new diagrams can always be constructed by adding more vertices and propagators. However, as the number of particles and interactions increases, the number of diagrams becomes exponentially larger, making it impractical to consider all of them in calculations. Therefore, physicists must carefully select which diagrams are most relevant to the problem at hand.

Back