Oil Leakage from Turbine Governor

In summary: Your name]In summary, the possible causes of oil leakage from the turbine governor controlling a pelton turbine include wear and tear of the main governor shaft, malfunctioning or damaged gaskets, internal damage or defects within the assembly, and potential contaminants in the oil. Conducting a thorough investigation is necessary to identify the root cause and address it effectively.
atheistrical
I am looking for feedback into the possible causes of oil leakage from a turbine governor that controls a pelton turbine. The following is an abstract of the issue.

1. Governor Make : Ganz Mavag, Budapest
2. Model : 1979
3. Present Status : Oil Leaks from within the Governor Shaft Assembly, although the exact location is unknown/hidden
4. Clauses : Oil leaks only when the generator generates low power; when a 6.3 MW generator runs at 0.9 MW load. If the load is increased i.e. the generator starts generating power more than say 2 MW, the oil leakage from the governor assembly stops.

5. What I figured out!

I thought that the most probable cause would be the wearing away of the main governor shaft at one of the ends. Since this shaft is driven by oil hydraulic, and since the oil is held by two rubber gaskets at both ends of the shaft; as the shaft moves to an extreme position, the oil at high pressure squirts out from the worn out periphery of the governor shaft at the gasket.

What are your viewpoints?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this issue regarding oil leakage from a turbine governor. I would like to share my thoughts and feedback on the possible causes of this problem.

Based on the information provided, it seems that the oil leakage is occurring only when the generator is operating at low power, and stops when the power output is increased. This suggests that the issue may be related to the governor's performance at lower speeds or loads.

One possible cause could be the wear and tear of the main governor shaft, as you have suggested. This could result in the oil leaking out from the gaskets at the ends of the shaft. However, it is important to also consider other factors that may contribute to this wear, such as the quality of the oil being used, the maintenance schedule, and the operating conditions of the turbine.

Another potential cause could be a malfunctioning or damaged gasket at one of the ends of the shaft. This could lead to the oil escaping from the assembly when the governor is in operation. It would be worth checking the condition of the gaskets and replacing them if necessary.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the possibility of any internal damage or defects within the governor shaft assembly itself. This could be causing the oil to leak out when the governor is operating at lower speeds or loads. I would suggest conducting a thorough inspection of the assembly to identify any potential issues.

In addition, it would be beneficial to analyze the oil that is leaking from the governor shaft. This can provide valuable insights into the condition of the turbine and help identify any potential contaminants or impurities that may be contributing to the oil leakage.

Overall, I believe that a combination of factors could be causing the oil leakage from the governor shaft assembly. It would be helpful to conduct a detailed investigation to identify the root cause and address it effectively. I hope my viewpoints and suggestions are helpful in resolving this issue.

Related to Oil Leakage from Turbine Governor

1. What causes oil leakage from a turbine governor?

Oil leakage from a turbine governor can be caused by several factors, including worn out seals, damaged gaskets, loose connections, or cracks in the governor housing. It can also be caused by excessive pressure or temperature within the governor system.

2. How does oil leakage from a turbine governor affect the performance of the turbine?

Oil leakage from a turbine governor can lead to a decrease in turbine performance, as it can result in a loss of lubrication to critical components and cause mechanical failures. It can also lead to increased maintenance costs and downtime for repairs.

3. Can oil leakage from a turbine governor be prevented?

Yes, oil leakage from a turbine governor can be prevented by regular maintenance and inspection of the governor system. This includes checking and replacing worn out seals and gaskets, tightening loose connections, and monitoring pressure and temperature levels to prevent excessive strain on the system.

4. Is oil leakage from a turbine governor a safety hazard?

In some cases, oil leakage from a turbine governor can pose a safety hazard, especially if it is not addressed promptly. Oil leaks can lead to slippery surfaces and potential fire hazards if the oil comes in contact with hot turbine components. It can also cause damage to surrounding equipment and the environment.

5. How can oil leakage from a turbine governor be repaired?

The repair process for oil leakage from a turbine governor will depend on the specific cause and extent of the leak. In most cases, it will involve replacing worn out seals and gaskets, tightening connections, and cleaning any spilled oil. In more severe cases, the entire governor system may need to be replaced. It is important to consult with a qualified technician for proper repairs.