On desmos how do you plot y=3x as a polar equation

In summary, by making substitutions of x=r*cos(theta) and y=r*sin(theta), the equation y=3x can be rewritten as tan(theta)=3. However, there is no polar equation for a line that goes through the origin since there is no radius. The equation x=4 cannot be graphed on a polar plot and the equation tan(theta)=3 does not plot on desmos.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Derive $y=3x$ as a polar equation and plot it.

?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need technology here...what do you get when you make the following substitutions:

\(\displaystyle x=r\cos(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle y=r\sin(\theta)\)

View attachment 5340$$y=3x
\implies r\sin\left({x}\right)=3r\cos\left({x}\right)$$
$$\tan\left({x}\right)=3$$
no plot??

Last edited:
I don't think thre is polar equation for a line that goes through the origin since there is no radius

karush said:
I don't think thre is polar equation for a line that goes through the origin since there is no radius

The equation is simply:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=3\)

karush said:
Can you graph the line x = 4? There's no y here.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Can you graph the line x = 4? There's no y here.

-Dan

Yes but that is not a polar equation

And $\tan\left({\theta}\right)=3$ does not plot on desmos

karush said:
Yes but that is not a polar equation

And $\tan\left({\theta}\right)=3$ does not plot on desmos
Sorry. I don't know how I missed that...the desmos thing.

-Dan

Related to On desmos how do you plot y=3x as a polar equation

1. How do I enter a polar equation on Desmos?

To enter a polar equation on Desmos, click on the "Add Item" button in the top left corner of the screen and select "Polar Equation" from the dropdown menu. Then, type in your equation in the format of r=equation(theta).

2. Can I plot a linear equation in polar form on Desmos?

Yes, you can plot a linear equation in polar form on Desmos by entering it in the format of r=aθ+b, where a is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. How do I plot y=3x as a polar equation on Desmos?

To plot y=3x as a polar equation on Desmos, you would enter it as r=3θ in the equation box. This will create a line that passes through the origin and has a slope of 3.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my polar graph on Desmos?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your polar graph on Desmos by clicking on the wrench icon in the top right corner and selecting "Polar Options". From there, you can change the color, style, and thickness of your graph.

5. Is it possible to graph multiple polar equations on the same graph on Desmos?

Yes, you can graph multiple polar equations on the same graph on Desmos by entering each equation in a separate equation box. You can also add multiple polar equations by clicking on the "Add Item" button and selecting "Polar Equation" again.