Oscillating Charge: How Does it Create Electromagnetic Radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between oscillating charges and electromagnetic radiation. It is explained that an oscillating charge does not create one photon, but rather classical electromagnetic waves. To produce a single photon, sophisticated methods involving non-linear crystals are used. The concept of coherent states and the distribution of photon numbers in these states are also mentioned. The person requesting clarification expresses a need for further understanding of quantum physics.
shamsheerc
Hi,

In high school physics we are taught that when a charge oscillates it results in electromagnetic radiation. Then we are taught that electromagnetic radiation is a wave with the electric field oscillating in one plane and the magnetic field oscillating in a plane perpendicular to it. So if hypothetically I have a minute charged particle and it is in simple harmonic motion, then does one oscillation create one wave (one photon?)? Or is it a continuous oscillation that creates a wave? How does this work?

Could someone please clarify this and introduce me to concepts that will further help me understand how vibrating charges create radiation?

Thanks,
Shamsheer

Physics news on Phys.org
An oscillating charge does not create one photon. In fact it is pretty difficult to produce really one single photon. Nowadays this can be done very effectively with non-linear crystals using the so-called parametric down conversion. There you fire with a laser into a crystal, which (sometimes) produces a pair of photons, which are "entangled". Then, triggering to those events by measuring one of these photons, one has for sure one single photon to do experiments with.

What you get by an oscillating charge, e.g., a current in a simple dipole antenna are classical electromagnetic waves. Quantum mechanically those are socalled coherent states, for which the photon number is not a fixed quantity, but it's a superposition of a lot of photon-number states (including the vacuum, i.e., the zero-photon state). The photon number in such a states is distributed according to a Poisson distribution.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need more theory about quantum physics to understand this better.

Related to Oscillating Charge: How Does it Create Electromagnetic Radiation?

1. What is an oscillating charge?

An oscillating charge is a charge that moves back and forth or up and down in a periodic manner. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as an alternating current or an accelerating charge.

2. How does an oscillating charge create electromagnetic radiation?

As an oscillating charge moves, it creates a changing electric field and a changing magnetic field. These changing fields interact with each other and propagate outward, creating electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of oscillation and the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation?

The frequency of oscillation of an electric charge is directly proportional to the wavelength of the resulting electromagnetic radiation. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. Why is an oscillating charge important in understanding electromagnetic radiation?

An oscillating charge is important because it is the fundamental mechanism by which all electromagnetic radiation is created. Without an oscillating charge, there would be no electromagnetic waves and therefore no light, radio waves, or other forms of radiation.

5. Can an oscillating charge create different types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, an oscillating charge can create a range of electromagnetic radiation depending on its frequency. Higher frequencies create shorter wavelengths, which correspond to higher energy radiation such as X-rays and gamma rays. Lower frequencies create longer wavelengths, which correspond to lower energy radiation such as radio waves and microwaves.