Out of Memory: Increasing Matlab's Virtual Memory

In summary, the conversation was about someone having issues with the student version of Matlab, specifically when reaching a 1*10,000 array or similar figures, the program would give an "out of memory" error. They were wondering if there was a way to increase the virtual memory dedicated to the program. It was suggested to split the array into smaller vectors and use if...else statements to work with them. The person mentioned they had a 40 GB and 500Mb RAM computer, which should be enough for the program. It was then revealed that the person now has the professional version of Matlab.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm furious with Matlab. when I reach a 1*10.000 array or similar figures it says to me: "out of memory". Does anybody know how I can do larger the virtual memory dedicated to this programe?. I have a 40 GB and 500Mb RAM computer, so it would be enough for eating anything!.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the student version?

-------->Yes.

There is a limiter on array sizes in the student version of Matlab.

You may be able to do a work-around by splitting it into two or more vectors and using if...else statements to determine which one to work with.

Not optimal, for sure, but you are paying 1/30th the price.

Thanks for helping. Your solution seems like given birth by an engineer, so practical... :smile:

Clausius2 said:
Thanks for helping. Your solution seems like given birth by an engineer, so practical... :smile:

Hrmm... I don't know if that was a jab or not... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

:smile: :approve: ;

It was not a malicious jab at all. It was an affectionate upper cut.

:wink: :zzz:

enigma said:
Are you using the student version?

NO MORE! NO MORE!

Now I haVE the professional version:

I'VE GOT THE POWER!

HA HA HA AHAHAHAHA... :biggrin: :rolleyes: :-p :smile: :bugeye: :smile:

Related to Out of Memory: Increasing Matlab's Virtual Memory

1. How do I increase Matlab's virtual memory?

To increase Matlab's virtual memory, you can adjust the Java heap size by going to the "Preferences" menu, selecting the "General" tab, and then increasing the value for "Java Heap Memory". Alternatively, you can use the "memory" function in Matlab to allocate more virtual memory.

2. Why do I keep running out of memory in Matlab?

There are several reasons why you may be running out of memory in Matlab. One common reason is that the size of your data or code exceeds the available virtual memory. Another reason could be that you are running multiple processes or programs that are using up the virtual memory. Additionally, using large or complex data structures can also cause memory issues.

3. How much virtual memory should I allocate for Matlab?

The amount of virtual memory you should allocate for Matlab depends on the size and complexity of your data and code. It is recommended to allocate at least 1 GB of virtual memory for basic use, but you may need to allocate more if you are working with large data sets or complex algorithms.

4. Can I run out of physical memory while using virtual memory in Matlab?

Yes, it is possible to run out of physical memory while using virtual memory in Matlab. Virtual memory allows your computer to use storage space on the hard drive as temporary memory, but it is not as efficient as using physical RAM. If you are constantly running out of physical memory, it may be necessary to upgrade your RAM or optimize your code to use less memory.

5. How can I check my current virtual memory usage in Matlab?

You can check your current virtual memory usage in Matlab by using the "memory" function. This will display the total amount of virtual memory allocated to Matlab, as well as the amount of memory currently in use and available. You can also use the "whos" command to see the memory usage of specific variables in your workspace.