Particle accelerators safety systems

In summary, Udi is looking for scientific articles about particle accelerators safety systems that were published in scientific journals. He suggests that Google Scholar be used to search for relevant information, and that the best way to find this information is by searching for the facility's Safety Analysis Document, which is usually available online.
udi741
Hello, I am looking for scientific articles about particle accelerators safety systems, that posted at scientific journals.
The articles I'm looking for should be about safety while the operation of the accelerator, like monitoring the radiation that could be around - and the process that happened after discover that radiation level,
routines that happened if someone enters a restricted area, and how the system shutdown the acclerator or somthing like that.

I'll be glad if someone could help me with that.
Thanks alot,
Udi.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps:
http://uspas.fnal.gov/materials/14JAS/JAS14-Rokni-Lecture.pdf
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/8/11/290/meta

To help you do further research, have you tried searching with Google Scholar? and search for key words in quotation marks (""). To get even more specific results, try typing (after your keywords) site:. and then the top level domain (com, edu, gov, org, ect.) of your choice to acquire more academic, reliable sources. Even further? Also try typing file:. with your desired file extension (doc, ppt, pdf, etc.) Lots of academic articles and papers happen to be in PDFs.

udi741 said:
Hello, I am looking for scientific articles about particle accelerators safety systems, that posted at scientific journals.
The articles I'm looking for should be about safety while the operation of the accelerator, like monitoring the radiation that could be around - and the process that happened after discover that radiation level,
routines that happened if someone enters a restricted area, and how the system shutdown the acclerator or somthing like that.

I'll be glad if someone could help me with that.
Thanks alot,
Udi.

The problem here is that each accelerator facility is unique, and has its own set of rules and procedures, and are governed by regulations that are specific to that facility, to that location, and to that state/country. As someone who works at an accelerator facility, was responsible for the safety aspect and documentation of that facility, I tend to know this quite well.

Here, in the US, accelerator facilities are required to have a "Safety Analysis Document", or SAD, before they begin full, normal operations. This should contain all the safety analysis that has been done to the facility and includes the necessary precautions, shielding, etc. Your best bet is to find some of these facilities and see if their SADs are available online. It will not include everything you are asking for, such as all the engineering and administrative controls, that are not part of the SADs, but maybe if they uploaded their SADs, these other stuff might also be available.

Otherwise, what you will find are more generic lessons on things such as radiation physics and calculation, such as something like this:
http://esh-docdb.fnal.gov/cgi-bin/ShowDocument?docid=1007

Zz.

Likes dlgoff

FAQ: Particle accelerators safety systems

1. What are the main safety features of particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators have several safety systems in place to protect both the equipment and the individuals working with them. These include radiation monitoring systems, interlocks, and emergency shutdown systems.

2. How do particle accelerators prevent radiation exposure?

Particle accelerators use thick concrete shielding, as well as lead and other materials, to absorb and block radiation. They also have radiation monitoring systems in place to detect any potential leaks or exposure.

3. Are there any risks associated with operating a particle accelerator?

Like any complex machinery, there are inherent risks associated with operating a particle accelerator. However, with proper safety protocols and training, these risks can be minimized and controlled.

4. How do particle accelerators prevent accidents?

Particle accelerators have interlocks, which are safety mechanisms that automatically shut down the equipment if any abnormal conditions are detected. They also have emergency shutdown systems that can be activated in case of an emergency.

5. What happens if there is a malfunction in the safety systems of a particle accelerator?

If there is a malfunction in the safety systems of a particle accelerator, the emergency shutdown system will activate and shut down the equipment. Additionally, there are protocols in place for handling and containing any potential hazards.