Perfectly Inelastic Disk and Stick Collision- Angular Speed

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg disk traveling at 3.0 m/s striking a 1.0 kg stick of length 4.0 m on nearly frictionless ice. The collision is perfectly inelastic and the disk adheres to the stick at the endpoint. The moment of inertia of the stick is 1.33 kg*m^2 and the question asks for the angular speed of the system after the collision. Using the parallel axis theorem and taking moments about the combined center of mass, the solution is 1.0 rad/s.
bcca
I think I'm not understanding something about this problem. Can someone help me out?

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg disk traveling a 3.0 m/s strikes a 1.0 kg stick of length 4.0 m that is lying flat on nearly frictionless ice. The disk strikes the endpoint of the stick, at a distance r = 2.0 m from the stick's center. Suppose the collision is perfectly inelastic so that the disk adheres to the stick at the endpoint at which it strikes. The moment of inertia of the stick about its center of mass is 1.33 kg*m2. Find the angular speed of the system after the collision.

Homework Equations

(I think) Parallel axis theorem: I= Icm + mr2
L= r cross p
L= I*omega
m= mass disk

The Attempt at a Solution

L = L'
r cross p = I(system)*omega
mvr = (I(stick) + I(disk) + mvr2)*omega
mvr = (I(stick) + (1/2)mr2 + mr2)*omega
omega = mvr/(I(stick) + 2/3(mr2))
omega = 2.0kg(3.0m/s)(2.0m)/(1.33kg*m2+1.5(2.0kg)(2.0m)2)
omega= .90 rad/s

The answer is 1.0 rad/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bcca! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

nope, start again …

you need to decide which point you're taking moments about

the easiest point is the combined centre of mass (if you take it about anywhere else, you'll need to add mrc.o.m. x vc.o.m. to get the final angular momentum) …

what do you get? :smile:
(and you can assume the disk is a point)

I got it! Thanks :)

FAQ: Perfectly Inelastic Disk and Stick Collision- Angular Speed

What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after colliding and move together as one mass. In this type of collision, kinetic energy is not conserved, and some energy is lost as heat or sound.

What is the difference between a disk and stick collision and a regular inelastic collision?

In a disk and stick collision, the two objects involved are a disk and a stick. The disk has a moment of inertia, while the stick does not. In a regular inelastic collision, both objects involved have a moment of inertia. This difference affects the calculations for the final angular speed of the objects.

How is angular speed calculated in a perfectly inelastic disk and stick collision?

The final angular speed of the combined object in a perfectly inelastic disk and stick collision is calculated using the law of conservation of angular momentum. This states that the initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum. The equation used is Iω = (m1d1 + m2d2)v, where I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular speed, m is the mass, d is the distance from the axis of rotation, and v is the linear velocity.

What are some real-life examples of perfectly inelastic disk and stick collisions?

One example of a perfectly inelastic disk and stick collision is a car accident. When two cars collide, they stick together and move as one mass, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. Another example is a game of pool, where the cue ball strikes the target ball and sticks to it, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy.

Can a perfectly inelastic disk and stick collision ever result in a final angular speed of zero?

Yes, if the objects involved have the same moment of inertia and are moving in opposite directions with equal speeds, the final angular speed will be zero. In this case, the objects will simply come to a stop after colliding and no longer rotate.

Back