PF Photography: Tips, Tricks, & Photo Sharing

In summary, PF Photography offers valuable tips and tricks for improving photography skills and techniques. They also provide a platform for photo sharing, allowing photographers to showcase their work and receive feedback from others in the community. From beginner tips to advanced techniques, PF Photography has something for every level of photographer. Additionally, their photo sharing feature encourages collaboration and growth among photographers. With a focus on education and community, PF Photography is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their photography skills and connect with other photographers.
Andre said:
Sorry to hear Andy. That's a nasty handicap, maybe it helps if you can find somebody to judge the editting. Maybe you can also learn to interpret the color histograms and work with that.

For the submitted picture, unfortunately I was unable to bring my gear and I had only my point and shoot available. This is a life size crop, showing that you should never leave home without DSLR and macro lens.

Heh... I'm not sure it's a handicap. After all, I don't get fooled by camouflage either :)

But yes- I *must* work directly with the histograms.

Those ice flakes really astound me- gigantic dendritic crystals. Fantastic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
You have to start with something :smile:

You could try to take the picture from slightly different angle, to change the background to less noisy. I would try as a background either the white patch of snow or soil without sticks - it doesn't have to help, but it is just always an option to consider. You already have low DoF - that's good for this type of picture.

Thanks, Borek. That's a good idea (getting rid of the busy background). I'm going to try and find something more pleasing to the eye for my next shot.

The melting in my backyard pond looks similar to an area of the original Mandelbrot set. And there are smaller copies near the back of the pond.

fractalmelt.jpg

Last edited:
Hey turbo, there's a deer in your pic! :biggrin:

Nice pics Andre, how old is the young Arabian? 1.5?

Ah, drizzle, I think 2.5 actually, her dad traded it recently for another horse.

Andre said:
girl can be hired as a model, I made that portefolio.
Very nice, Andre. At 5'7" with a fairly athletic build, she could get work here modeling for LL Bean, Woolrich, Cabela's, Patagonia, etc. A good friend of mine in college did just that. Average height with a curvy figure wouldn't get her any fashion modeling jobs, but she was a shoo-in for modeling outdoor clothing, etc. It's an area that was called "sports modeling" back then, and I don't know if that has evolved in the past 40 years, but she did a lot of shoots as the catalog companies changed their clothing lines.

Her portfolio was not large, but was well-done, and her scrapbook was very impressive, even by the time I met her at 18. She got lots of work as a teen. She'd cut out the pictures from the catalogs, mount them and label them with captions like "XXX outfitting company, Spring 1968" etc. Pretty good sales pitch if she went on an open call. Just show them the scrap-book, so they know how long she has been working and how often she had been featured in print ads. Smart girl.

drizzle said:
Hey turbo, there's a deer in your pic! :biggrin:
I wish! He'd be in the freezer right now!

I think the pic I submitted for the current photo contest looks very unreal and photoshopped maybe.

Andre said:
b6v905.jpg

But it's definitely natural. It was taken at Montcru this summer. In a clear night quite a lot of fog can accumulate in the valley below. This shot was taken at 8:02 AM:

353e14j.jpg

So eventually when the sun warms up the fog it starts to lift and drift up on the hill side and when those little fog patches pass along the bright sun, you get this extreme effect. The shot in the contest was taken at 8:28am only half an hour later from the tree group on the left.

Last edited:
A few more pix taken that same morning during those magical blinded-by-the-light moments:

r2miib.jpg

p0xg7.jpg

11uhwch.jpg

viplky.jpg

2d2bztf.jpg

Also to convince Borek, Marzena and other enthousiast photographers or enjoyers of nature, that Montcru is the place to be for that.

Likes 1 person
I have no doubts it is an interesting place to visit. From what I read lately (in Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies) it is also an area with interesting history.

I've seen similar effects too, and almost always under somewhat (but not overly) foggy conditions.

Here's one I took in the late fall that shows a similar behavior:

15qcbkk.png

Nice, Gokul! The chromatic dispersion is my favorite part.

Here are a few more from a very wet / foggy / sunny morning on Montcru in August.

2rymy6s.jpg

Tobias -just as black as Gizmo- checking out the fog below.

2ykcfet.jpg

Accumulating dew drops on a leaf.

j6757n.jpg

just a few steps away from the first tree.

20i83e9.jpg

just above the pond

212voxy.jpg

Very wet dandelion

1zceqo3.jpg

Attachments

• 2rymy6s.jpg
    2rymy6s.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 303
Likes 1 person
Gizmooooo :faints:
Really nice. It'll definitely be my phone's background.

Love these pics Andre.

PS, I can't see some of these pics, they appear gray! :(

Sorry, drizzly Actually, that's Tobias,

2v84kex.gif

All pix seem fine for me. Maybe you can copy the url and try the pix to open in separate windows or tabs.

drizzle said:
I can't see some of these pics, they appear gray! :(

That's OK, haven't you read? It was foggy.

Really, really, awesome pictures here!

Thanks,

I uploaded most of those pix http://rapidshare.com/files/435863500/aaapix.zip in their original uncropped size (5184 x 3456 pixels). It's a big file, but high quality and you could print it on poster size.

So by my guest and get them. I think the downloads are limited, so if it doesn't work, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very effective use of fog/dew/sun Pooh! Lovely shots, all.

So I saw this photo contest, colorful abstract on another site. So I looked around me in da house and made a couple of piX and I submitted this one:

11wddep.jpg

Cool Andre! Lovely. I'm just trying to guess what could this be part of, an art work?

Sort of, drizzle, it's creative embroidery with a sewing machine.

Andre said:
So I saw this photo contest, colorful abstract on another site. So I looked around me in da house and made a couple of piX and I submitted this one:

Like!

I dig how the yellow cuts upward, like a flame... were you 'going' for anything in particular?

My wife says "Cool! I want a blouse covered with that!" I asked if she wanted it so that she would fit in at hippie weddings at the South Solon Meeting House, and she said "No. It would only be for dress-up on special occasions."

When I was a kid we had a drawer with sewing utensils. After sewing we never threw away thread that was left, it was always left attached to the needle and pinned into the spool (you know, it may save you some time next time). After many years all these threads created a large ball.

It looked similar.

The pic is a close up shot from that right framed work over the little hamlet that I showed in the other thread. But for that pic I removed it and got the idea to shoot some close ups from it. Yes it's produced locally.

70gk8o.jpg

The blouse idea is worth thinking about.

Anyway, there was another photo contest with the title "deadline", in whatever way you wanted to interpret that. Obviously there were several cemetaries with rows of graves but I entered this:

v628aw.jpg

An old abondoned mine line somewhere in the pyrenees not too far from Andorra and Montcru.

Todays loot, gutter stalactites

140f6z4.jpg

The full shot uncropped on 15% size

The EXIF (may be interesting for Dembadon)

File Name IMG_5807.CR2
Camera Model Canon EOS 550D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.9
Shooting Date/Time 24-12-2010 15:10:09
Author Andre
Copyright Notice Andre 2010
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 200
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 210.0mm
Image Size 5184x3456
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
File Size 23121KB

Likes 1 person
Andre said:
Todays loot, gutter stalactites

140f6z4.jpg

The full shot uncropped on 15% size

The EXIF (may be interesting for Dembadon)

Nice gear! :approve:

Thanks for showing the EXIF data. I've been taking more pictures in aperture priority mode lately. In fact, I'll probably use Av mode more often than not from now on.

I've got some pics I took from my 2009 spring break trip out west.

Here's a sunset in the Arizona desert. Looks like a painted sky.

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2577/85/13/635517292/n635517292_1608773_6209723.jpg

Here's the Valley of Fire in Nevada.

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2577/85/13/635517292/n635517292_1608781_1988483.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice Dimensional.

So today I walked to the city to make piX of a silly sculpture for the photonbcontest "Is this really art". I shot this thing:

2iu4w04.jpg

... known as aardappelmannetje (potato man).

But I past along this... gutter

r856cj.jpg

Actually I waited about 20 minutes to get a little bit of sun shining on it like on the pic, and these are some of the results:

15fqepu.jpg

fdgeio.jpg

2rdg8lx.jpg

24wc4us.jpg

23roa38.jpg

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
It can be still visible here:

eclipse20110104.jpg

You're lucky, dense clouds here.

Slightly to the right, and a little bit up:

birds.jpg

And yes, that was sheer luck - clouds are dense here as well, it was a short moment when they were not as thick.

Edit: I forgot to add it was more luck than just the weather. I knew there will be an eclipse today, but for some reason I was sure it will be not visible in Poland. If not for the Junior's call ("Hey, look up!") I would miss the event completely.

Last edited: