PF Photography: Tips, Tricks, & Photo Sharing

In summary, PF Photography offers valuable tips and tricks for improving photography skills and techniques. They also provide a platform for photo sharing, allowing photographers to showcase their work and receive feedback from others in the community. From beginner tips to advanced techniques, PF Photography has something for every level of photographer. Additionally, their photo sharing feature encourages collaboration and growth among photographers. With a focus on education and community, PF Photography is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their photography skills and connect with other photographers.
Just as long as spring doesn't come all at once. A few warm rainy days, and we'll be losing dams, bridges, houses...

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Just as long as spring doesn't come all at once. A few warm rainy days, and we'll be losing dams, bridges, houses...
Nice shot turbo. My goodness! How deep is that snow?

The snow is compacted by thaws and rains, but we have gotten well over 10 feet this winter so far (we're not out of the woods yet!) and the mountains have gotten significantly more. We're currently in the top 25% of historical snow-pack. In 1987, we had normal snow-pack with moderate flood potential and a couple of warm rainy days gave us this April Fool's trick.

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/Flood87slideshow/

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
The snow is compacted by thaws and rains, but we have gotten well over 10 feet this winter so far (we're not out of the woods yet!) and the mountains have gotten significantly more. We're currently in the top 25% of historical snow-pack. In 1987, we had normal snow-pack with moderate flood potential and a couple of warm rainy days gave us this April Fool's trick.

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/Flood87slideshow/

I think if I lived there I would be moving my belongings to higher ground now, just in case...

As you can see from the photo, I live on a very substantial hill, so that's all to the good. The problem is that the rivers powered a lot of mills, etc, years ago, and all the big towns here are in river-valleys. If you hear of warm rains forecast for Maine, drive up with your new camera gear to shoot breaching dams, buckling bridges, and floating houses.

Solitude

Taken outside in natural light with tripod. Burned in the shadows.

2402165532_53808900dc.jpg

Last edited:
larkspur said:

Wow :!) !

A few neat pictures that I've taken over the past year. The second one down usually invokes a response lol. Wish I had a better camera.

Guitar.jpg

face2.jpg

l_6c5e204994521cc2b7d74d8bf5e79071.jpg

beach.jpg

larkspur said:

Very nice! would have guessed that was in a studio if you hadn't said.

matthyaouw said:
I agree! It looks like one her trademark light-tent shots.

Nice shot indeed, but that black...

I think I would have chosen for a complete white background getting a delicate high key study.

I'm thinking about getting a digital SLR for general picture taking, any recommendations, benefits, and drawbacks of particular models? Price is not a huge issue, as long as it's not ridiculously expensive.

Best to check this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

NeoDevin said:
I'm thinking about getting a digital SLR for general picture taking, any recommendations, benefits, and drawbacks of particular models? Price is not a huge issue, as long as it's not ridiculously expensive.
Define "ridiculously expensive" and you'll get more feedback. I'm hooked on Canon gear - their pro and pro-sumer cameras and lenses are top-notch. They are pricey, but they deliver top-quality images in a wide range of conditions.

B. Elliott said:
beach.jpg

cute chick!

Definitely no more than $1000, preferably around $500.

NeoDevin said:
Definitely no more than $1000, preferably around $500.
I bought an out-of-the-box store display model Canon 30D (now I have two of those bodies) along with a 28-135mm EF lens for $1000. That's a really nice walk-around lens since it covers a handy focal length range from moderately wide-angle to moderate telephoto. The 40Ds had come out and the store was displaying them and clearing out their 30D display, and an employee of the store (whom I know from another forum) picked up the body and lens at a good price and offered to give the forum members first crack at it.

If you can get your hands on a decent camera like this with a modestly-priced lens, you'll be well-poised to upgrade should you really catch the photography bug bad and want to add a macro lens or a telephoto. You might want to watch classified ads, because some people eventually decide to move up from these high-end pro-sumer cameras to the pricier Canons with full 35-mm coverage. If they have spent much money on EFS lenses (as opposed to EF) you may get a good deal on those lenses too, because the EFS lenses cannot be fitted to the cameras with the full-sized chips. The reason is that EFS lenses penetrate too deeply into the camera body, and the large light-boxes of the pro model Canons require larger reflex mirrors which would hit the back of the lens.

Amazon's got the 30D with 18-55mm EF-S kit lens for $900.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZFPKC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's a lightweight lens with a plastic barrel and mount, but the optical quality is very good. That is the set-up I bought initially, along with a 100-400mm L-series zoom for nature photography.

I recommend the E 500 rather than the E 510. I haven't used the 510 but it just seems crappier. The E 500 is a great camera.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...5-bece25245b7d
I took this pic while on a ferry to Bainbridge Island last September.

binzing said:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...5-bece25245b7d
I took this pic while on a ferry to Bainbridge Island last September.

What pic?

matthyaouw said:
The way I turned the background black was by using selective color first. I moved all the black sliders to the far right and then moved the neutral black slilders as much to the right
as the photo could tolerate. What was not black in the background by then was burned into make it black.

Andre said:
Nice shot indeed, but that black...

I think I would have chosen for a complete white background getting a delicate high key study.
I hadn't even considered white because I thought the flower would disappear. I will try it and see what it looks like. Thanks Andre!

Gah, motherflugging piece of sh!t! I hate these damn cheap forum tools. They never work to link stuff or upload. Well, go to the "Favorite Skylines" thread and look for my link.

larkspur said:
I hadn't even considered white because I thought the flower would disappear. I will try it and see what it looks like. Thanks Andre!

You're welcome. Some "high key" effect here (picture borrowed for illustration and inspriation, not mine)

HIgh_Key_Flowers.sized.jpg

Andre said:
You're welcome. Some "high key" effect here (picture borrowed for illustration and inspriation, not mine)

HIgh_Key_Flowers.sized.jpg

Thanks Andre! I will try it.

When I followed the tutorial for High key. This is what I got...:confused:.

2407562261_c7b444c7cd.jpg

Here is the image I started with:
2406872504_e2d4a3a5c9.jpg

Last edited:
lisab said:
Wow :!) !
Glad you like it Lisa!

You lost the color. It certainly needs the color.

Personally I think the black background works best.

Andre said:
You lost the color. It certainly needs the color.
Yes,, it needs color. When I tried a mask it just looked like the same photo with a gray background

matthyaouw said:
Personally I think the black background works best.
I like the black too.

Here's a few pictures of my friends that live around the pond behind my house. They're very friendly and literally eat out of your hand... except for the Canadian Gooses mate who still won't get within thirty feet or so. Would anyone happen to know what the guy with the red beak is? Can't seem to find him an any of my Autubon Society books.

0415081656a.jpg

0415081658a.jpg

0415081659.jpg

I'd say that red-beaked guy is likely a male Muskovy - an uncommon domesticated tropical bird that may have escaped.

turbo-1 said:
I'd say that red-beaked guy is likely a male Muskovy - an uncommon domesticated tropical bird that may have escaped.

Ah-ha! That must be what he is. Found this picture of one and the colors match exactly. Thanks Turbo!

http://www.birdsoftt.com/images/wild_muscovy_duck.jpg