Photon colliding with stationary mass

In summary: Perhaps Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) is not correct. Perhaps Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) is not correct.That is correct. Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) is not correct. The correct expression for the final 4-momentum would be Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) where E' = E+m and p' = p. This is because of conservation of energy and momentum.As for finding the speed, we can use the relationship between energy and momentum for massive particles: ##E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4## and solve for
Dennydont

Homework Statement

A photon with energy E collides with stationary mass m. They form a single particle together, what is this new particle's mass and what is its speed?

Homework Equations

Energy-momentum 4-vector P=(E, px, py, pz)
Possibly P2=m2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using 4- momenta, the particle moving with energy E has a 4-momenta of P1 = (E, p, 0, 0) and the stationary mass is P2 = (m, 0, 0, 0). The total momentum before the collision is then Pbefore = (E+m, p, 0, 0). My question is, what exactly would the Pafter equal to? Could it possibly be: Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0)
If so that would show that E' = E+m (due to conservation of energy). How can I find the mass of the new particle from that? Does the second equation of m2 have anything to do with it?[/SUB]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dennydont said:
How can I find the mass of the new particle from that?
You have the expression for the mass of a particle right here:

Dennydont said:
Possibly P2=m2

Orodruin said:
You have the expression for the mass of a particle right here:
Great, do I have all the tools to solve this then? Is Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) correct? How can I find the speed then?

Dennydont said:
Great, do I have all the tools to solve this then? Is Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0) correct? How can I find the speed then?
For a particle you have three important equations that you must not forget:

##E = \gamma mc^2##

##p = \gamma mv##

##E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4##

In particular, if you know the energy and momentum of a particle, you can calculate its mass, velocity and gamma factor.

You should experiment with these equations to see how you can do this.

PeroK said:
For a particle you have three important equations that you must not forget:

##E = \gamma mc^2##

##p = \gamma mv##

##E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4##

In particular, if you know the energy and momentum of a particle, you can calculate its mass, velocity and gamma factor.

You should experiment with these equations to see how you can do this.
These equations are rather useful, but I just want to know if Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0). If so I can substitute E' as E+m and p' as p, using conservation of energy and momentum laws. Thanks to the third equation you've given me, I can say that p = √(E2-m2) and p' = √(E2-m2) and solve for m' since we are saying that c=1 in this example. I can't see why Pafter isn't what I think it is, the new particle doesn't travel on an angle or anything like that.

Dennydont said:
The 4-momentum is proportional to the 4-velocity. You can use this fact to find the speed. In other words, how would you find the speed if I gave you a 4-velocity?

Dennydont said:
These equations are rather useful, but I just want to know if Pafter = (E', p', 0, 0). If so I can substitute E' as E+m and p' as p, using conservation of energy and momentum laws. Thanks to the third equation you've given me, I can say that p = √(E2-m2) and p' = √(E2-m2) and solve for m' since we are saying that c=1 in this example. I can't see why Pafter isn't what I think it is, the new particle doesn't travel on an angle or anything like that.

You should satisfy yourself from conservation of momentum that the final particle must move in the same direction as the photon.

Also, I think you're missing the relationship between the energy and momentum of a photon. Hint: only one of those three equations holds for a photon.

PeroK said:
You should satisfy yourself from conservation of momentum that the final particle must move in the same direction as the photon.

Also, I think you're missing the relationship between the energy and momentum of a photon. Hint: only one of those three equations holds for a photon.
I do not think the problem is what you perceive it is. A student using 4-vector notation should already be familiar with what you have said, which is essentially the statement of the components if the 4-momentum for a massive particle.

FAQ: Photon colliding with stationary mass

1. What happens when a photon collides with a stationary mass?

When a photon, which is a particle of light, collides with a stationary mass, it transfers its energy and momentum to the object it collides with. This causes the mass to start moving in the direction of the photon's original path.

2. How does the collision between a photon and a stationary mass affect the mass?

The collision between a photon and a stationary mass causes the mass to gain kinetic energy and start moving. This change in motion is determined by the energy and momentum of the photon, as well as the mass of the object it collides with.

3. Can a photon collide with any type of stationary mass?

Yes, a photon can collide with any type of stationary mass, as long as it has enough energy to transfer to the object. This can include atoms, molecules, and even larger objects like planets or stars.

4. What determines the amount of energy transferred from a photon to a stationary mass?

The amount of energy transferred from a photon to a stationary mass is determined by the energy and momentum of the photon itself, as well as the properties of the object it collides with. This can include factors such as the mass and density of the object.

5. Is the collision between a photon and a stationary mass an elastic or inelastic collision?

The collision between a photon and a stationary mass is typically considered to be an inelastic collision. This means that there is a transfer of energy and momentum between the two objects, and some energy may be lost in the process. However, in some cases, the collision may also exhibit elastic properties, depending on the specific circumstances of the collision.

Back