Physics or math? guidance needed.

In summary, the person is having trouble deciding between studying math or physics for university and is unsure of which subject they are more likely to succeed in. They are wondering about the specific skills needed for each subject and how to determine which comes more naturally to them. The advice given is to try both subjects and see which one they excel in, and if they are still unsure, they can consider a double major.
scolipede
hello. i want to register for uni soon but I'm having trouble deciding what to choose to study. the key problem is that even though i find both fields interesting, i don't know in which of them i am more likely to succeed. my question is, which specific skills are needed for maths and which specific skills are needed for physics, and how can i determine which of them come more natural for me? I'm not talking about things like passion/dedication/hard work etc, i mean the core talent, way of thinking and processing information that a person either has naturally or not. I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I'm really having trouble over this. and i hope this is the correct forum, I'm sorry I'm new.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately there's no fool-proof way to figure this out other than trial and error.

The good thing is that typically for degrees in physics and mathematics the first year is pretty common, so regardless of which one you choose, you likely won't diverge too much course-wise until your second year and hopefully by then your strengths will be a little more clear.

And if you're still on the fence there's always the double major option. This allows you to get enough exposure to both subjects and be qualified for graduate school in both, but at the consequence of giving up a number of electives that would come with a single major.

Likes scolipede

Related to Physics or math? guidance needed.

1. What is the difference between physics and math?

Physics is a natural science that involves studying the behavior and properties of matter and energy in the universe, while math is a field of study that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes. Physics uses math as a tool to describe and understand physical phenomena.

2. Which one is more challenging: physics or math?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Both physics and math require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but they may be more challenging for different people. It is important to choose a field that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to understand.

3. Can I study physics without being good at math?

While physics and math are closely related, having a strong foundation in math is essential for understanding and applying principles in physics. However, with hard work and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in physics or math?

There are many career options for those with a degree in physics or math. Some common career paths include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, mathematician, and teacher. These fields are constantly evolving and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics or math?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics or math is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. Joining study groups, working on practice problems, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials can also be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from your teachers or peers.