Please help with this suggested solution involving electrostatic press

tellmesomething
Homework Statement
Find the force of interaction between two equal halves of a non conducting uniform solid sphere of charge density ##\rho## and radius R.
Relevant Equations
None
My teacher gave us this idea:
He told us that the contact force due to one halve on the other halve and the electrostatic force will balance each other.
Therefore they'll be same in magnitude so use the former to get the answer

However i do not understand how they will be equal. Intuitively it makes sense since there are the only two forces acting on that halve therefore they should be equal and opposite to each other for them to cancel out and for the net force to be 0. But isnt this the direction of the forces : E=electrostatic N=normal force.
Screenshot_2024-07-16-19-21-00-711_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Once im clear with this I have a doubt in the follow up solution too

Next he uses this derived result for electrostatic pressure inside a non conducting solid sphere $$P(r)= \frac{\rho²r²} {6\epsilon_{0}}$$to find the said contact force
$$F=\int P(r) 2πrdr$$
Limits are from 0 to R (sorry I forgot how to put limits in latex equations)

This is the base hes talking about

I really dont think I understand why we did this...shouldnt it be integrated over the inner part of the half sphere/hemisphere

This doesnt make a lot of sense to me....
Screenshot_2024-07-16-19-40-02-512_com.miui.gallery.jpg

tellmesomething said:
But isnt this the direction of the forces : E=electrostatic N=normal force.
1721164001838.png

No. If you try to pull the two ends of a rod away from each other, tension builds up in the rod. At a cross-section of the rod, what direction does the material lying just to the left of the cross-section exert on the material just to the right of the cross-section?

Likes tellmesomething
tellmesomething said:
Find the force of interaction between two equal halves of a non conducting uniform solid sphere of charge density ##\rho## and radius R.
But it is not actually cut in half. Would it have been clearer if it had said "stuck together"?
tellmesomething said:
Next he uses this derived result for electrostatic pressure inside a non conducting solid sphere $$P(r)= \frac{\rho²r²} {6\epsilon_{0}}$$to find the said contact force
$$F=\int P(r) 2πrdr$$
Limits are from 0 to R (sorry I forgot how to put limits in latex equations)
_{lower limit}^{upper limit}
tellmesomething said:
shouldnt it be integrated over the inner part of the half sphere/hemisphere
Suppose you have a fluid within which the pressure P is a function of position. If you were to put a small lamina ##\vec{dA }## within the fluid the pressure on one side would be roughly constant over the lamina, leading to a force ##P\vec{dA }##. Over a larger area, you can integrate that, ##\int P\vec{dA }##.
(Integrating pressure over a volume gives internal energy.)

In the present case, it is a negative pressure.

Last edited:
Likes tellmesomething
One interpretation of the pressure ##P(r)## given in the problem is that it represents the effective force per unit area corresponding to the tension (contact) force between the two hemispheres.
1721165858512.png

Then, it makes more sense that your instructor says to consider the total contact force between the hemispheres.

Likes tellmesomething
TSny said:
No. If you try to pull the two ends of a rod away from each other, tension builds up in the rod. At a cross-section of the rod, what direction does the material lying just to the left of the cross-section exert on the material just to the right of the cross-section?
Right, it will try to pull it so it would be away from the right cross section.. Makes sense. thankyou

haruspex said:
But it is not actually cut in half. Would it have been clearer if it had said "stuck together"?

_{lower limit}^{upper limit}

Suppose you have a fluid within which the pressure P is a function of position. If you were to put a small lamina ##\vec{dA }## within the fluid the pressure on one side would be roughly constant over the lamina, leading to a force ##P\vec{dA }##. Over a larger area, you can integrate that, ##\int P\vec{dA }##.
(Integrating pressure over a volume gives internal energy.)

In the present case, it is a negative pressure.
Hmm so the little laminas in the entire volume when aligned with the pressure direction, can be projected onto the base of the hemisphere? And hence we take elements along the base area?

tellmesomething said:
so the little laminas in the entire volume
No, just elements of the plane between the two hemispheres. What is happening elsewhere in the volume is irrelevant.

haruspex said:
No, just elements of the plane between the two hemispheres. What is happening elsewhere in the volume is irrelevant.
But the formular assumes radial distance from the centre? so aren't dA areas in the volume also facing electrostatic pressure?

tellmesomething said:
But the formular assumes radial distance from the centre? so aren't dA areas in the volume also facing electrostatic pressure?
Yes, there is a distribution of pressure throughout the volume, but if we notionally divide the volume into regions then the force one region exerts on a neighbour depends only on the pressure integral over the shared surface.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Yes, there is a distribution of pressure throughout the volume, but if we notionally divide the volume into regions then the force one region exerts on a neighbour depends only on the pressure integral over the shared surface.
I'm not sure i understand fully. Can you suggest a way to visualise this? Should I think of the "regions" as multiple hemispherical shells?

tellmesomething said:
I'm not sure i understand fully. Can you suggest a way to visualise this? Should I think of the "regions" as multiple hemispherical shells?
I withdraw post #10. I need to think about it some more.

haruspex said:
I withdraw post #10. I need to think about it some more.
OK