Plotting a Polar Equation of a Circle on Desmos

In summary, to plot a polar equation of a circle on Desmos, open the Desmos graphing calculator and type in the polar equation r=a, where a is the radius of the circle. To change the radius, adjust the value of a in the equation. To add multiple circles, use the "+" button to add a new equation or add a constant to the radius. The color of the circle can be changed by clicking on the circle and selecting a new color. To add labels and titles, use the "+" button and select "Add Item" to add text, points, or lines to the graph. Objects on the graph can also be labeled by clicking on them.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
The given is
determine a polar equation for circle satisfying the given conditions: the radius is $2$, and the polar coordinates for the center are: $\left(4,0\right)$
I got ${r}^{2}-8r\cos\left({\theta}\right)=-12$
But when I try to plot this to DESMOS get nutin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin with the Cartesian equation of that circle:

\(\displaystyle (x-4)^2+y^2=2^2\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-8x+16+y^2=4\)

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=8x-12\)

Convert to polar:

\(\displaystyle r^2=8r\cos(\theta)-12\)

Try W|A for polar plots:

W|A - r^2=8rcos(theta)-12

Apparently r has to be isolated for Desmos

Related to Plotting a Polar Equation of a Circle on Desmos

1. How do I plot a polar equation of a circle on Desmos?

To plot a polar equation of a circle on Desmos, first open the Desmos graphing calculator. Then, in the input bar, type in the polar equation for a circle: r=a, where a is the radius of the circle. Press the enter key and the circle will appear on the graph.

2. Can I change the radius of the circle on Desmos?

Yes, you can change the radius of the circle on Desmos by adjusting the value of a in the polar equation r=a. Simply click on the a value in the equation and use the slider or type in a new value to change the radius of the circle.

3. How do I add multiple circles on the same graph on Desmos?

To add multiple circles on the same graph on Desmos, you can use the "+" button on the top left corner of the graph to add a new equation. Follow the same steps as above to plot a polar equation of a circle with a different radius. You can also add more circles by adding a constant to the radius, such as r=a+b, where b is a constant value.

4. Is it possible to change the color of the circle on Desmos?

Yes, it is possible to change the color of the circle on Desmos. Simply click on the circle and a menu will appear. From there, you can select a new color for the circle by clicking on the color palette icon.

5. How do I add labels and titles to my polar graph on Desmos?

To add labels and titles to your polar graph on Desmos, click on the "+" button on the top left corner of the graph and select "Add Item." From there, you can add text, points, or lines to your graph. You can also click on any object on the graph to add a label or title to it.