Polarizing Light through Two Filters

In summary, the question is about the orientation of the electric field vector in relation to the analyzer's polarizing axis. The asker is having trouble visualizing this concept and is wondering if the electric field vector would still lie on the axis if the polarizing axis was at an arbitrary angle. The answer is yes, as long as the angle is not perpendicular. The explanation includes the equation for the orientation of the electric field vector and mentions the angle θ measured clockwise from the vertical.
thiefjack
Hello, all.

I have a general question related to something I read in a book right now. Not taking a course so I have no professor to ask, so I come to you all!

To speed things up, I have this image I took from the book:
xlvMtdrl.png

My question is if the analyzer's polarizing axis was an arbitrary theta from the vertical, then E perpendicular would still lie on it's axis, right? As long as it wasn't perpendicular.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
E perpendicular is by definition taken perpendicularly to the analyzer's axis, no matter how the latter axis is oriented.

Say the analyzer's axis is at angle θ where θ is measured clockwise from the vertical, same as with phi, the polarizer axis angle. Then the electric field vector at the analyzer output would be oriented as θ with magnitude cos(θ - phi). In your illustration, θ = 0.

FAQ: Polarizing Light through Two Filters

1. What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a specific direction. This results in the light having a specific polarization, either horizontal or vertical.

2. How does polarizing light through two filters work?

When light passes through a polarizing filter, it becomes polarized in a specific direction. When this polarized light passes through a second polarizing filter that is oriented at a different angle, it blocks some of the light, resulting in a reduction in the intensity of the light.

3. What is the purpose of using two filters to polarize light?

The use of two filters allows for the control and manipulation of the intensity and direction of polarized light. By rotating one of the filters, the intensity of the polarized light can be adjusted, and by using two filters with different orientations, the direction of the polarized light can be changed.

4. What materials are commonly used to make polarizing filters?

Polarizing filters are typically made from materials such as polarizing film, polarized glass, or polarizing crystals. These materials have the ability to block or transmit light based on its polarization.

5. What are some practical applications of polarizing light through two filters?

Polarizing light through two filters has many practical applications, including reducing glare from surfaces such as water or glass, increasing contrast in photography, and producing 3D images in movie theaters. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of polarized light and in various optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.