Polynomial products with term of even degree x being non-zero is in NP

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter CGandC
  • Start date
In summary, you are asking how to continue the verifier construction. You state that you don't see what conditions ( which involve the coefficients ## b_i , a_i , i\in I## ) one can check on the witness ## I ## in order to create a correct verifier, any ideas? You then state that by the way ( I'm curious ), how did you come up with this sum?
CGandC
Homework Statement
Problem: Define language ##L## s.t. a sequence of natural numbers ( zero included ) ##(t,a_1,b_1,k_1, \ldots , a_m ,b_m ,k_m ) ## is in ##L## if and only if the coefficient of ## x^{2t} ## in the expansion of ## p(x)=\left(a_1+b_1 x^{k_1}\right)\left(a_2+b_2 x^{k_2}\right) \cdots\left(a_m+b_m x^{k_m}\right) ## is non-zero. ( in other words, ## p(x)=\sum_{i=0}^d c_i x^i ## for integer coefficients ## d \geq 2 t, c_0, \ldots, c_d ##, and ## c_{2 t} \neq 0 ##).

Prove ## L \in NP ##.
Relevant Equations
Every language in NP has polynomial verifier and vice-versa.
Attempt: We'll define a polynomial verifier such that for input ## \left\langle\left(t, a_1, b_1, k_1, \ldots, a_m, b_m, k_m\right), I\right\rangle ## it accepts if and only if ## I ## is an encoding of a set ## I \subseteq \{ 1 , \ldots , m \} ## such that ## \sum_{i \in I} k_i=2 t ## [ I don't know how to continue from here ]

How do I continue the verifier construction? I don't see what conditions ( which involve the coefficients ## b_i , a_i , i\in I## ) one can check on the witness ## I ## in order to create a correct verifier, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define [itex]M = \{1, \dots, m\}[/itex] for convenience. Do we not have [tex]
\prod_{i \in M}(a_i + b_ix^{k_i}) = \sum_{I \in 2^{M}} \left(\prod_{i\in M \setminus I} a_i\right)\left( \prod_{i \in I}b_i\right) x^{\sum_{i \in I} k_i }[/tex] by taking the [itex]a_i[/itex] term from bracket [itex]i[/itex] if [itex]i \in M \setminus I[/itex] and the [itex]b_ix^{k_i}[/itex] term if [itex]i \in I[/itex]?

Likes CGandC
pasmith said:
Define [itex]M = \{1, \dots, m\}[/itex] for convenience. Do we not have [tex]
\prod_{i \in M}(a_i + b_ix^{k_i}) = \sum_{I \in 2^{M}} \left(\prod_{i\in M \setminus I} a_i\right)\left( \prod_{i \in I}b_i\right) x^{\sum_{i \in I} k_i }[/tex] by taking the [itex]a_i[/itex] term from bracket [itex]i[/itex] if [itex]i \in M \setminus I[/itex] and the [itex]b_ix^{k_i}[/itex] term if [itex]i \in I[/itex]?
So we must have ## \forall i\in I. b_i \neq 0 ## and ## \forall i \notin I. a_i \neq 0 ## , thanks for your help!!

The notation for more than two polynomial factors is less straightforward, but the product of [itex]n[/itex] polynomials of degrees [itex]n_i \geq 0[/itex] can be written as [tex]\begin{split}
P(x) &= \prod_{i=1}^n \left(\sum_{j=0}^{n_i} a_{ij}x^{j}\right) \\
&= \left(\sum_{j_1=0}^{n_1} a_{1j_1}x^{j_1}\right)
\cdots \left( \sum_{j_n=0}^{n_n} a_{nj_n} x^{j_n}\right) \\
&= \sum_{J \in S} a_{1j_1} \cdots a_{nj_n} x^{j_1+\cdots + j_n}
\end{split}[/tex] on expanding the product, where [tex]\begin{split}
J &= (j_1, j_2, \dots, j_n) \\ &\in
\{0, 1, \dots, n_1 \} \times \{0, 1, \dots n_2\} \times \dots \times \{0, 1, \dots, n_n\}
= S \subset \{0, 1, \dots, \max n_i\}^n. \end{split}[/tex] The coefficient of [itex]x^k[/itex] is then found by restricting the sum to [tex]
S_k = \{ J \in S: j_1 + \dots + j_n = k \} \subset S.[/tex]

Likes CGandC
Thank you very much, very good info!

Related to Polynomial products with term of even degree x being non-zero is in NP

What does it mean for a polynomial product with a term of even degree x being non-zero to be in NP?

In computational complexity theory, a problem is in NP (nondeterministic polynomial time) if a proposed solution can be verified as correct or incorrect in polynomial time. For the problem of determining whether a polynomial product has a non-zero term of even degree x, it means that given a polynomial and its proposed product, we can verify whether the product contains a non-zero term of even degree in polynomial time.

Why is this problem significant in computational complexity?

This problem is significant because it relates to understanding the complexity of polynomial computations and their verification. Problems in NP are important because they help us understand the boundaries of what can be efficiently computed and verified, and this particular problem can have implications for algebraic computations and theoretical computer science.

What are some examples of polynomial products with terms of even degrees?

Consider two polynomials, P(x) = x^2 + 1 and Q(x) = x^2 - 1. Their product is P(x) * Q(x) = (x^2 + 1) * (x^2 - 1) = x^4 - 1. In this product, x^4 is an even degree term. Another example is P(x) = x + 1 and Q(x) = x^3 + x. Their product is P(x) * Q(x) = x^4 + x^2 + x^3 + x, which contains the even degree terms x^4 and x^2.

How can we verify if a polynomial product has a non-zero term of even degree in polynomial time?

To verify if a polynomial product has a non-zero term of even degree, we can multiply the given polynomials and then check the resulting polynomial for terms with even degrees. The multiplication of polynomials can be done in polynomial time, and checking each term in the resulting polynomial can also be done in polynomial time, ensuring the verification process is efficient.

Are there any known algorithms that solve this problem efficiently?

Yes, there are algorithms that can efficiently solve this problem. Polynomial multiplication algorithms, such as the Karatsuba algorithm or the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) based multiplication, can be used to compute the product of two polynomials in polynomial time. Once the product is computed, a simple linear scan can identify the presence of non-zero terms of even degree.