Power consumption in a rotating system

In summary, you need to add more power to the e-motor that is spinning the first wheel to make the second, third, and fourth wheel spin at the same rotation speed.
GiZeHy
Hi there,

i have a specific question concerning power consumption in a rotating system and hope that somebody out there can help me out.

Lets say we have a wheel, powered by an e-motor, that is surrounded by magnets that are attached to the edge of the wheel ( like a cog wheel but magnets instead of the cogs ). Now i place an identical wheel aside so that it is brought to movement by the first one (by the magnets). My question is: How much more power do i have to put into the e-motor that is making the first wheel spin, to make a second, third and so on.. wheel spin at the same rotation speed, that are aside the first one? Is there any other power stopping the additional wheels instead of the friction of air and the attachment? Important: i mean the additional power that is consumed when the system is already running!

Any help would be really nice ;)
ty

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GiZeHy said:
[...] like a cog wheel but magnets instead of the cogs [...]

[...] Is there any other power stopping the additional wheels instead of the friction of air and the attachment? Important: i mean the additional power that is consumed when the system is already running!

I gather you are describing a system with frictionless cogs. Will such a setup with magnets act as frictionless cogs?

I suspect not. I suspect that eddy currents will be generated. The energy cost of the eddy currents acts in the same way as energy cost from friction. In fact, generating eddy currents is sometimes used as the basis of a braking system design.

my idea is to build a system in which you align many of these wheels but only one is powered by the motor. in addition i want to attach to each wheel a parallel one on which there are magnets attached to the edge but with the poles directed to the spinning direction. these should move through many aligned coils so that a current is induced over each wheel. now, if the additional power that is used to make the additional (magnet instead cog) wheels spin, is very low, maybe i can induce more current over the coils on each parallel wheel than necessary for powering the e-motor?!? it is an open system so nothing would offense the laws of physics for creating a higher output.

please bombard me with ideas ;)

Related to Power consumption in a rotating system

What is power consumption in a rotating system?

The power consumption in a rotating system refers to the amount of energy that is used by the system to perform its intended function, such as rotating a motor or spinning a wheel.

How is power consumption measured in a rotating system?

Power consumption in a rotating system is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). This measurement takes into account factors such as the rotational speed and the amount of torque required to rotate the system.

What factors affect power consumption in a rotating system?

The main factors that affect power consumption in a rotating system include the speed of rotation, the amount of friction present, and the efficiency of the system. Other factors such as the size and weight of the rotating parts can also impact power consumption.

How can power consumption be reduced in a rotating system?

To reduce power consumption in a rotating system, one can make improvements to the design and efficiency of the system, reduce friction by using lubricants, and optimize the speed and torque required for rotation. Additionally, using energy-efficient components and technologies can also help to reduce power consumption.

What are some common applications of power consumption in rotating systems?

Rotating systems are used in a variety of applications, including industrial machinery, transportation vehicles, household appliances, and renewable energy production. Understanding and managing power consumption in these systems is crucial for efficient operation and reducing energy costs.