Pre calc review - interval notation

It should be a parenthesis.Anyway, the correct answer is (-infinity, -2] U (0, 3] U [5, infinity)In summary, the domain of 14/(x2-x-6) in interval notation is (-infinity, -2] U (0, 3] U [5, infinity).
datafiend

Homework Statement

What's the domain of 14/x2-x-6, in interval notation?

Homework Equations

[itex]\underline{14}[/itex]x2-x-6

The Attempt at a Solution

[3, + infinity)
[-2,- infinity)
Sorry, I can't find the infinity symbol

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
datafiend said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[3, + infinity)
[-2,- infinity)

Thx

You wrote
[tex] \frac{14}{x^2} -x-6 [/tex]
when read using standard rules for parsing mathematical expressions. Did you really mean that, or did you want
[tex] \frac{14}{x^2 - x - 6} \: ?[/tex]
If you meant the latter you absolutely MUST use parentheses, like this: 14/(x^2 - x - 6).

Likes 1 person
My mistake, the denominator SHOULD be in parentheses.

datafiend said:

Homework Statement

What's the domain of 14/(x2-x-6), in interval notation?

Homework Equations

##\frac{14}{x^2-x-6}##

[3, + infinity)
[-2,- infinity)

Thx

What about values between 3 and -2?

datafiend said:

Homework Statement

You mean 14/(x2- x- 6)= 14/((x- 3)(x+ 2))

Homework Equations

[3, + infinity)
No, this is wrong because it does not include such numbers as x= 0 for which 14/(0- 0- 6)= -7/3 or x= -5 for which 14/(25+ 5- 6)= 7/12.

[-2,- infinity)
Strictly speaking this is bad notation- it should be (-infinity, -2]. (The smaller goes on the left.)
But even that is not correct because it does not contain x= 0 and x= 5 for which 14/(25- 5- 6)= 1.

The correct answer is NOT a single interval, it is a union of three disjoint intervals.

Thx

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking this is bad notation- it should be (-infinity, -2]. (The smaller goes on the left.)
But even that is not correct because it does not contain x= 0 and x= 5
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the incorrect use of the square bracket to end the set.

FAQ: Pre calc review - interval notation

1. What is interval notation?

Interval notation is a way to represent a range of numbers on a number line using parentheses, brackets, and other symbols. It is commonly used in mathematics, particularly in pre-calculus and calculus courses.

2. How do you write interval notation?

To write interval notation, you use parentheses to indicate open intervals (ex: (0, 5)), brackets to indicate closed intervals (ex: [0, 5]), or a combination of both to indicate half-open intervals (ex: (0, 5]). You also use the symbols for infinity (∞) and negative infinity (-∞) to represent unbounded intervals.

3. What is the difference between open and closed intervals in interval notation?

An open interval does not include the endpoints, while a closed interval includes the endpoints. For example, the open interval (0, 5) would include all numbers between 0 and 5, but not 0 or 5 themselves. The closed interval [0, 5] would include 0 and 5 in addition to all numbers between them.

4. How do you graph interval notation?

To graph interval notation, you would plot the endpoints of the interval on a number line and then shade in the appropriate region depending on whether the interval is open, closed, or half-open. For example, the interval (0, 5) would be graphed by plotting a point at 0 and 5, and then shading in the region between those points.

5. Why is interval notation important in pre-calculus?

Interval notation is important in pre-calculus because it allows us to represent and work with different types of intervals in a concise and precise manner. It also helps us visualize and understand the behavior of functions and equations, which is crucial in pre-calculus and calculus courses.