Probability - coin flip problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of obtaining two consecutive HEADS when flipping a fair coin. Three events, A1, A2, and A3, are defined and the probability for each event is calculated. The formula for the expectancy of a discrete variable is also mentioned and used to calculate the expectancy for this scenario.
ENgez

Homework Statement

you flip a fair coin (one which has equal odds of bieng HEADS or TAILS.
q = odds of getting TAILS=0.5 , p = odds of getting HEADS=0.5
A1 is the event on which the first two flips are HEADS.
A2 is the event on which the first two flips are HEADS and TAILS in that order.
A3 is the event on which the first flip is TAILS.
we mark X as the number of flips until we get two consecutive HEADS

a) calculate : [tex] P(X=k|Ai) i=1,2,3[/tex] if not directly calculatable express using [tex] p_{x}(k) and p_{x}(k-1), p_{x}(k-2)[/tex]

b) calculate EX (expectancy of x)

Homework Equations

expectancy is for a descrete variable : EX=[tex]\sum k*P_{x}(k)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all [tex]\ 2<k<\infty [/tex] because you need atleast two flips.
[tex]\ P(X=k|A1)=1 [/tex]

now this is where it gets a bit tricky for me:

[tex]\ P(X=k|A2)=p*q*(q+sqrt(p*q))^{k-4} [/tex]

the p*q is becuase of the two first flips.
now we have k-4 flips remaining (we already "used up" two flips and we will "use up" another two flips to get the consecutive HEADS)

we define s=p*q. the k-4 remaining flips can be any combination of s and q so that there are exactly k-4 p's and q's, so s is actually 2 flips.

so all possible combinations are: [tex]\ k-4C1*s^{(k-3)/2}*q^{1} + k-4C2*s^{(k-2)/2}*q^{2} + ... = (q+sqrt(s))^{k-4} [/tex]

therefore [tex]\ P(X=k|A2) = p*q*(p+sqrt(p*q))^{k-4}*p^{2} = 1/16 [/tex]

and by the same reasoning [tex]\ P(X=k|A2) = q*(p+sqrt(p*q))^{k-4}*p^{2} = 1/8 [/tex]

these results seem a little too simple. am i doing something wrong here?

I haven't tried b) yet.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your calculations for P(X=k|A1) and P(X=k|A2) seem correct. However, P(X=k|A3) is not correct. It should be P(X=k|A3)=q(p+q)^{k-1}.

For part b), you can use the formula for the expectancy of a geometric distribution, which is EX=1/p. In this case, p=0.5, so EX=2 flips.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Probability - coin flip problem

1. What is the probability of flipping a coin and getting heads?

The probability of flipping a coin and getting heads is 1/2 or 50%. This is because there are only two possible outcomes (heads or tails) and they are equally likely to occur.

2. If I flip a coin 10 times, what are the chances of getting exactly 5 heads?

The chances of getting exactly 5 heads when flipping a coin 10 times can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula. In this case, the probability would be 0.246 or 24.6%.

3. How many times do I need to flip a coin to have a 95% chance of getting at least 1 head?

According to the law of large numbers, the more times you flip a coin, the closer the results will be to the theoretical probability. Using this principle, you would need to flip a coin at least 20 times to have a 95% chance of getting at least 1 head.

4. Is flipping a coin considered a fair game?

Flipping a coin is considered a fair game because the probability of getting either heads or tails is equal. As long as the coin is not biased or manipulated in any way, each outcome has an equal chance of occurring.

5. Can the outcomes of coin flips be predicted?

No, the outcomes of coin flips cannot be predicted with certainty. The probability of getting either heads or tails is always 50%, regardless of previous outcomes. Each flip is an independent event that is not affected by previous flips.