Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, two individuals discuss the impact of technology and social media on today's society. One person argues that it has brought about positive changes, such as connecting people and promoting diversity. However, the other person believes that it has also brought negative effects, such as increased isolation and addiction. They both agree that moderation and responsible use are key in navigating the digital world.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: Determine whether or not every locally compact Hausdorff space is paracompact.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem.

I don't have a complete solution prepared due to various things, so I will do my best to fill in the details sometime soon.

[sp]It turns out that not every locally compact Hausdorff space is paracompact. An interesting counterexample is the Tychonoff plank, which I will elaborate on soon.[/sp]

FAQ: Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014"?

The "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014" is a weekly problem posed by a group or organization to challenge individuals to solve a specific scientific or mathematical problem.

2. Who can participate in the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014"?

Anyone with an interest in science or mathematics can participate in the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014". It is open to individuals of all ages and backgrounds.

3. What is the purpose of the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014"?

The purpose of the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014" is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills in individuals interested in science and mathematics. It also serves as a platform for individuals to showcase their abilities and potentially win prizes.

4. How can I submit my solution to the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014"?

Solutions to the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014" can typically be submitted through the website or email of the group or organization posing the problem. Make sure to carefully follow the submission guidelines provided.

5. Are there any resources available to help me solve the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014"?

Yes, some groups or organizations may provide resources such as hints, tips, or tutorials to help individuals solve the "Problem of the Week #109 - June 30th, 2014". Additionally, there may be online forums or communities where participants can discuss and collaborate on solutions.

Back