Projecting 3-Sphere onto a Plane | Stereographic Projection

• Thread starter Carol_m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of projecting a hypersphere onto a 2D plane using stereographic projection. The expert explains that while it is possible to project a 2-dimensional sphere onto a 2D plane, it is not possible to do the same for a 3-dimensional hypersphere. They suggest projecting the hypersphere onto a 3-dimensional space first and then using a common method of visualization to present it as a 2D picture. The person asking the question clarifies that they want to project every point in the hypersphere onto the 2D plane, not just the surface, and the expert explains that this would require projecting an infinite number of points onto a single point on the plane.
Carol_m
Hello,

Is it possible to project a hypersphere (a 3-sphere) onto a plane? is this possible using stereographic projection?

Please, if this is possible I would appreciate a nice explain me about how to do it.

Thank you!

Carol

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, not!
You may stereographically project the 2-dimensional sphere (bended in 3 dims) on 2-dimensional flat plane. Similiraly, you could develop some projections of 3-D hypershere, bended in 4th dim onto flat 3-D space. But not on 2-D one.

You may think about projecting it first on flat 3D Euclidean space, and then use some common method of visualisation to present it as a 2-D picture.

Hello xts,

Thank you for your reply and sorry if I am being too naive but I do not follow your answer. Could you please explain me a bit more? (sorry but this is not my background)

From what I have read in textbooks I know that you can project the surface of a sphere in a 2-D plane, my problem is that I want to project every point in the sphere (not only the surface) on a 2D plane, that's why my question was about hypersphere projection (but maybe I am also confuse about this??).

If you can help me about this I would really appreciate it and sorry again if I am asking the obvious.

Thank you!

Carol_m said:
I want to project every point in the sphere (not only the surface) on a 2D plane
Then you must project infinite number of points (some line segment) of your sphere into a single point on your plane.

Yes, it is possible to project a 3-sphere onto a plane using stereographic projection. This is a commonly used technique in mathematics and geometry to visualize higher dimensional objects in lower dimensions.

To understand how this projection works, let's first review what a 3-sphere is. A 3-sphere, also known as a hypersphere, is a four-dimensional object that is analogous to a three-dimensional sphere. It is defined as the set of points in four-dimensional space that are equidistant from a fixed point, just like how a sphere is the set of points in three-dimensional space equidistant from a fixed point.

Now, imagine placing a plane tangent to the 3-sphere at a single point. This plane is known as the stereographic plane. In stereographic projection, we draw a line from the center of the 3-sphere to any point on its surface and extend it until it intersects the stereographic plane. The point of intersection is the projected point of the original point on the 3-sphere. This process is repeated for every point on the 3-sphere, resulting in a projection of the 3-sphere onto the plane.

The stereographic projection preserves certain properties of the 3-sphere, such as distance and angles, making it a useful tool for visualizing this higher dimensional object. It is also a conformal projection, meaning that it preserves the local shape of the 3-sphere at each point.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to project a 3-sphere onto a plane using stereographic projection. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

FAQ: Projecting 3-Sphere onto a Plane | Stereographic Projection

What is a 3-sphere?

A 3-sphere, also known as a hypersphere, is a type of mathematical object that exists in four-dimensional space. It is defined as the set of all points in four-dimensional space that are equidistant from a fixed central point.

What is stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is a method of projecting a three-dimensional object onto a two-dimensional plane. It works by projecting each point on the object onto the plane from a single point of perspective, known as the "stereographic center". This results in a distorted representation of the object, but it preserves certain geometric properties.

Why is projecting a 3-sphere onto a plane useful?

Projecting a 3-sphere onto a plane can be useful in visualizing and understanding the properties of the 3-sphere. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of the object and can aid in solving mathematical problems involving 3-spheres.

What are the applications of stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in cartography to create maps of the Earth's surface, as well as in crystallography, astronomy, and computer graphics.

Are there any limitations to stereographic projection?

Like any projection method, stereographic projection has its limitations. It can only accurately represent certain types of objects, such as spheres and circles. Other shapes may be distorted or lose their original properties when projected. Additionally, stereographic projection only works for objects in four-dimensional space or lower.