Proof of Relationship in Parallel Circuit Using Kirchoff's Law

In summary, Kirchoff's Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must equal zero, and the sum of all voltages around a closed loop must also equal zero. In parallel circuits, it is used to determine the relationship between current and voltage in different branches of the circuit. The proof of this relationship is based on the fact that the total current flowing into a junction must equal the total current flowing out of the junction. Kirchoff's Law is also used to solve problems in parallel circuits by setting up a system of equations. However, it has limitations as it assumes ideal conditions and does not account for non-ohmic components.
soul5

Homework Statement

How do I prove the relationship between the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit and the values of the constituent resistors exist?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because:

I total= I1+I2+I3

and V is the same in parallel so.

V/R total= V/R1 + V/R2 + V/R3

and divide by V so

1/R= 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3.

is that why?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly why. Well done.

Your understanding is partially correct. The relationship between the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit and the values of the constituent resistors exists due to Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. In a parallel circuit, the current entering the node is equal to the total current (Itotal), while the currents leaving the node are equal to the individual currents through each resistor (I1, I2, I3). Therefore, Itotal = I1 + I2 + I3.

KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources in the loop. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor is the same, so the voltage drop across the equivalent resistance (Rtotal) is equal to the voltage drop across each individual resistor (R1, R2, R3). Therefore, V = V1 = V2 = V3.

Using Ohm's Law (V=IR), we can rewrite these equations as:

Itotal = V/Rtotal and I1 = V/R1, I2 = V/R2, I3 = V/R3.

Substituting these into the KCL equation, we get:

V/Rtotal = V/R1 + V/R2 + V/R3.

Dividing both sides by V, we get the relationship:

1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3.

This proves that the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. Therefore, the relationship between the equivalent resistance and the values of the constituent resistors exists.

Related to Proof of Relationship in Parallel Circuit Using Kirchoff's Law

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must equal zero, and the sum of all voltages around a closed loop must also equal zero.

2. How does Kirchoff's Law apply to parallel circuits?

In parallel circuits, Kirchoff's Law can be used to determine the relationship between the total current flowing into and out of a junction, as well as the relationship between the voltage drops across different branches of the circuit.

3. What is the proof of relationship in a parallel circuit using Kirchoff's Law?

The proof of relationship in a parallel circuit using Kirchoff's Law is based on the fact that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current exiting the junction. This means that the sum of the currents in each individual branch must equal the total current in the circuit.

4. How is Kirchoff's Law used to solve problems in parallel circuits?

Kirchoff's Law is used to set up a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of currents and voltages in a parallel circuit. The first equation is based on the sum of currents entering and exiting a junction, and the second equation is based on the sum of voltages around a closed loop in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's Law in parallel circuits?

One limitation of using Kirchoff's Law in parallel circuits is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as negligible resistance in the connecting wires and constant voltage sources. It also does not take into account the effects of non-ohmic components, such as diodes or transistors, in the circuit.