Prove Sum Approximation Theorem

In summary: I guess out of the infinite sum. I'm trying to use the ##\varepsilon## definition of a limit to show that some finite sum is less than ##\varepsilon## but I'm not getting anywhere.In summary, we need to prove that if ## S=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n}## converges for ##|x|<1##, and if ##|a_{n+1}|<|a_{n}|## for ##n>N##, then $$|S-\sum_{n=0}^{N}a_{n}x^{n}|<|a_{N+1}x^{N+1}|\
Now trying to prove the first theorem:
Fredrik said:
Theorem 1: If ##(S_{n})_{n=1}^{\infty}##is convergent and c is a real number, then ##(S_{k}-c)_{n=1}^{\infty}## is convergent, and we have $$\lim_{n} (S_{n}-c)=\lim_{n} S_{n}-c$$
let ##S=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n}## and ##\varepsilon>0##
$$\mbox{For all } m\geq M \Rightarrow |\sum_{n=1}^{m}S_{n}-S|<\varepsilon$$
I'm not sure where to go next and this definition isn't making a lot of sense to me right now. To check if a sequence is converging we can use the preliminary test to see if ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_{n}\rightarrow 0## I don't see how this is possible when we have a real number c in each term. Also ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(S_{n}-c)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n}-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c## and since ##c## is a constant $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c=\lim_{n\to\infty} nc$$ which is clearly going to infinity. I feel like I'm probably misunderstanding how this sum works and that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(S_{n}-c)=(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n})-c##

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty## is an arbitrary convergent sequence in this theorem, so there are no sums involved. You should change this to "let ##S=\lim_n S_n## and ##\varepsilon>0##".

Now to find the rest of the proof, think about what exactly the statement that you want to prove means. See post #18 for the definition of limit.

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
Okay I am slightly confused now since I was able to get ##|\sum_{k=1}^{m}b_{k}-S|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}## by starting with ##|\sum_{k=1}^{m}cb_{k}-cS|<\varepsilon##, if I can't assume this is true I'm not sure how to end up with ##|c|## in the denominator.

If you start with ##|S_n - S| < \epsilon'## you have ##|cS_n - cS| < |c|\epsilon'##. Give ##|c| \epsilon' ## the new name ##\epsilon##, so you have ##|cS_n - cS| < \epsilon##.

Now work backwards: you want to specify ##\epsilon##, so take ##\epsilon' = \epsilon/|c|##. You know there exists an ##N = N(\epsilon')## such that ##|S_n - S| < \epsilon'## for all ##n \geq N##, so that means that ##|cS_n - cS| < \epsilon## for all ##n \geq N##.

The real point is that whether you call the thing ##\epsilon## or ##\eta## or ##\omega## or ##pqr## is irrelevant; what matters is that if you want to get within a specified distance from ##cS## you can do it by ensuring that ##n## is large enough.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:

$$\mbox{For all } m\geq M \Rightarrow |\sum_{n=1}^{m}S_{n}-S|<\varepsilon$$
I'm not sure where to go next and this definition isn't making a lot of sense to me right now. To check if a sequence is converging we can use the preliminary test to see if ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_{n}\rightarrow 0## I don't see how this is possible when we have a real number c in each term. Also ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(S_{n}-c)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n}-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c## and since ##c## is a constant $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c=\lim_{n\to\infty} nc$$ which is clearly going to infinity. I feel like I'm probably misunderstanding how this sum works and that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(S_{n}-c)=(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n})-c##

Yes, you have misunderstood: since ##S_n = \sum_{k=1}^n a_k x^k## we have ##S_n - c = \left(\sum_{k=1}^n a_n x^n\right) - c##, NOT ##\sum_{k=1}^n (a_k x^k - c)##, which is a totally different animal.

Likes Potatochip911
|x^N| = |x|^N, now consider the sum over i from N+1 to a some M, then Σa*|x|^i = |x|^N+1 * a * (|x|^(M-N) - 1)/(1-|x|), if M goes to infinity then he result iwill havr and |x|^(-N), because |x|<1then |x|^(-N) and N > 0 then|x|^(-N) < |x|^(N+1), and taadaa

Fredrik said:
##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty## is an arbitrary convergent sequence in this theorem, so there are no sums involved. You should change this to "let ##S=\lim_n S_n## and ##\varepsilon>0##".

Now to find the rest of the proof, think about what exactly the statement that you want to prove means. See post #18 for the definition of limit.
So I should do something along the lines of this?
Let ##S=\lim_{n} S_{n}## and ##\varepsilon>0## Let c be a real number. Let n & N both be positive integers such that
$$n\geq N \Rightarrow |S_{n}|<\varepsilon+c \\
|S_{n}|-c<\varepsilon \\
|S_{n}-c|<\varepsilon \\
|S_{n}-c|\leq |S_{N}-c|<\varepsilon $$ I'm not too sure about this...

You don't have to say "let c be a real number", since that's stated in the theorem. Actually, it's confusing to say it at the start of the proof, since that suggests that now you're talking about a different c.

Your definition of N isn't useful. Suppose e.g. that the inequality holds when n=3 and when n>100, but for no other values of n. Then your statement allows n and N to both be 3.

Also, it's the wrong inequality. Can you take another look at the definition of limit and just tell me what the following statements mean:
$$\lim_n S_n=S,\qquad \lim (S_n-c)=T.$$

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
You don't have to say "let c be a real number", since that's stated in the theorem. Actually, it's confusing to say it at the start of the proof, since that suggests that now you're talking about a different c.

Your definition of N isn't useful. Suppose e.g. that the inequality holds when n=3 and when n>100, but for no other values of n. Then your statement allows n and N to both be 3.

Also, it's the wrong inequality. Can you take another look at the definition of limit and just tell me what the following statements mean:
$$\lim_n S_n=S,\qquad \lim (S_n-c)=T.$$
For ##\lim_{n} S_{n}=S## S is the limit of ##S_{n}## and for ##\lim(S_{n}-c)=T## T is the limit of ##S_{n}-c##, sorry if I wasn't supposed to write down what they mean literally but I wasn't sure what else to do. I'm kinda confused by what ##S_{n}## represents, is it something like in post #18?

Potatochip911 said:
For ##\lim_{n} S_{n}=S## S is the limit of ##S_{n}## and for ##\lim(S_{n}-c)=T## T is the limit of ##S_{n}-c##, sorry if I wasn't supposed to write down what they mean literally but I wasn't sure what else to do. I'm kinda confused by what ##S_{n}## represents, is it something like in post #18?
##S_n## denotes the ##n##th term of the sequence ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty##. What I'm asking you to do is to apply the definition of limit (without making any sort of assumptions about what sort of sequence we're dealing with...in particular you shouldn't assume that it's a sequence of partial sums of a series). That definition is what tells you what these statements mean. It's impossible to do any of these proofs without understanding how to apply the definition.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
##S_n## denotes the ##n##th term of the sequence ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty##. What I'm asking you to do is to apply the definition of limit (without making any sort of assumptions about what sort of sequence we're dealing with...in particular you shouldn't assume that it's a sequence of partial sums of a series). That definition is what tells you what these statements mean. It's impossible to do any of these proofs without understanding how to apply the definition.
I'm pretty sure the definition of the limit is ##|f(x)-L|<\varepsilon## in this particular case ##f(x)## would be ##S_{n}## and ##L## would be ##\lim_{n} S_{n}## Then $$|S_{n}-\lim_{n}S_{n}|<\varepsilon$$

That statement that you're supposed to explain is ##\lim_n S_n=S##. Obviously, it means that S is a limit of the sequence ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty##. The difficult part is to explain what that means. The explanation should have the symbol S where you wrote ##\lim_n S_n##, because you want to say that S is a limit of the sequence, not that the limit of the sequence is a limit of the sequence.

You have the right inequality this time, but you haven't fully explained what the statement means unless you say what ##\varepsilon## is, or mentioned the special positive integer N.

This is the exact meaning of the claim that S is a limit of the sequence:

For all ##\varepsilon>0##, there's a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |S_n-S|<\varepsilon.$$
Now can you explain what ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=T## means?

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
*Editing*
You have the right inequality this time, but you haven't fully explained what the statement means unless you say what ##\varepsilon## is, or mentioned the special positive integer N.

The statement ##\lim_n S_n=S## says that S is a limit of the sequence ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, and that means exactly this:

For all ##\varepsilon>0##, there's a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |S_n-S|<\varepsilon.$$
Now can you explain what ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=T## means?
I think the inequality is: Let ##\varepsilon>0## and n is a positive integer such that $$n\geq N \Rightarrow|\lim_{n}(S_{n}-c)-T|<\varepsilon \\
|\lim_{n}S_{n}-\lim_{n}c-T|<\varepsilon \\
|\lim_{n}S_{n}-c-T|<\varepsilon
$$

You still need to say that N is a positive integer such that the implication holds for all n.

The inequality is not correct. ##\lim_n(S_n-c)## is equal to ##T##, so it's pointless to say that the distance between ##\lim_n(S_n-c)## and ##T## is less than ##\varepsilon##. Look at the definition of limit again, or my explanation of what ##\lim_n S_n=S## means in my previous post. There's no ##\lim## in the inequality. My statement specifies what the terms of the sequence must satisfy for the sequence ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty## to have the limit S.

What you need to say is almost exactly the same thing I said, but with changes that reflect that we're dealing with the sequence ##(S_n-c)_{n=1}^\infty## instead of ##(S_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, and that the limit of this sequence is denoted by T instead of S.

Edit: Since you're still struggling with the definition, I suggest that you first make sure that you understand the "wordy" version of it:

Let S be a sequence. A real number x is said to be a limit of S, if every open interval with x at the center contains all but a finite number of terms of S.​

Then make sure that you understand that the version of the definition that involves the ##\varepsilon## symbol is just saying exactly that, only in even more precise language.

Last edited:
Hey, you didn't give up, did you? Are you ready to prove that ##\lim_n S_n=S## implies that ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=S-c##?

Fredrik said:
Hey, you didn't give up, did you? Are you ready to prove that ##\lim_n S_n=S## implies that ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=S-c##?
My summer classes started on Monday so I have been kind of busy with that and despite rereading post #48 multiple times over the last few days I couldn't figure out what to do. I am having trouble grasping what ##(S_{n})_{n=1}^{\infty}## is, is it the same as ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n}##?

Potatochip911 said:
My summer classes started on Monday so I have been kind of busy with that and despite rereading post #48 multiple times over the last few days I couldn't figure out what to do. I am having trouble grasping what ##(S_{n})_{n=1}^{\infty}## is, is it the same as ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}S_{n}##?
No, it's just an arbitrary infinite sequence ##S_1,S_2,\dots##. Post #18 is the one you need to understand. The proof of the claim that ##\lim_nS_n=S## implies ##\lim(S_n-c)=S-c## is a very straightforward application of that definition. Don't give up. This concept is the very core of calculus and analysis. As long as you don't understand it, you will always find analysis unreasonably hard.

The definition of "limit" is just this:

Let σ be a sequence of real numbers. A real number x is said to be a limit of σ, if for all positive real numbers ε, all but a finite number of the terms of σ are at a distance from x that's less than ε.​

So to prove that ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=S-c## (given that ##\lim_n S_n=S##) you start by letting ε be an arbitrary real number, and now you need to prove that that all but a finite number of the ##S_n-c## are at a distance from ##S_n-c## that's less than ε. And you are allowed to use that all but a finite number of the ##S_n## are at a distance from ##S## that's less than ε.

Fredrik said:
No, it's just an arbitrary infinite sequence ##S_1,S_2,\dots##. Post #18 is the one you need to understand. The proof of the claim that ##\lim_nS_n=S## implies ##\lim(S_n-c)=S-c## is a very straightforward application of that definition. Don't give up. This concept is the very core of calculus and analysis. As long as you don't understand it, you will always find analysis unreasonably hard.

The definition of "limit" is just this:

Let σ be a sequence of real numbers. A real number x is said to be a limit of σ, if for all positive real numbers ε, all but a finite number of the terms of σ are at a distance from x that's less than ε.​

So to prove that ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=S-c## (given that ##\lim_n S_n=S##) you start by letting ε be an arbitrary real number, and now you need to prove that that all but a finite number of the ##S_n-c## are at a distance from ##S_n-c## that's less than ε. And you are allowed to use that all but a finite number of the ##S_n## are at a distance from ##S## that's less than ε.
Let ##\varepsilon>0## and Let ##\varepsilon'>0##
$$|S_{n}-\lim_{n}S_{n}|<\varepsilon' \\
|S_{n}-\lim_{n}S_{n}|-2c<\varepsilon'-2c \\
\mbox{for } |S_{n}-\lim_{n}S_{n}| > 0 \Rightarrow |S_{n}-c-\lim_{n}S_{n}-c|<\varepsilon'-2c \\
\varepsilon=\varepsilon'-2c \\
|S_{n}-c-\lim_{n}S_{n}-c|<\varepsilon \\
|S_{n}-c-\lim_{n}(S_{n}-c)|<\varepsilon
$$

There are several mistakes in there. In particular, you can't use two different epsilons, and there are parentheses missing. I will do this one too. Maybe the explanation will give you what you need to be able to solve another problem on your own.

The statement we want to prove is ##\lim_n (S_n-c)=S-c##. Before we prove the statement, we must understand what it says. It says that for all ##\varepsilon>0##, all but a finite number of terms of the sequence ##(S_n-c)_{n=1}^\infty## are at a distance from S-c that's less than ##\varepsilon##. Let's rephrase this again, this time spelling out exactly what "all but a finite" means: For all ##\varepsilon>0##, there's a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |(S_n-c)-(S-c)|<\varepsilon.$$ This is the statement we want to prove. Since it's a "for all ε>0" statement, the proof should start with "Let ε>0". Now we need to find a positive integer N such that the implication above holds for all positive integers n. First note that the left-hand side of the inequality is equal to ##|S_n-S|##. So we're looking for a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |S_n-S|<\varepsilon.$$ Does such an N exist? Yes! That's exactly what the assumption ##\lim_n S_n=S## is saying. Now we just need to type it up:

Theorem: If ##\lim_n S_n=S##, then ##\lim_n(S_n-c)=S-c##.

Proof: Let ##\varepsilon>0##. Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |S_n-S|<\varepsilon.$$ For all positive integers n such that ##n\geq N##, we have
$$|(S_n-c)-(S-c)|=|S_n-S|<\varepsilon.$$
That's it. That's the entire proof. The first sentence uses the assumption ##\lim_n S_n=S## to choose N sufficiently large, and the second sentence proves that ##\lim_n(S_n-c)=S-c##.

Likes Potatochip911
Did you understand this proof? I would still like to see you do at least one of these proofs on your own before I show you my solution of the problem you asked about. It can literally be any proof that involves the definition of limit. The following are two theorems that can be proved using the definition of limit. Can you prove any of them?

1. If x and y are both limits of ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, then x=y.
2. Let c be a real number. If ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty## is convergent, then so is ##(cx_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, and ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim x_n##.

(The phrase "is convergent" means "has a limit"). For the proof of the second theorem, I suggest that you denote ##\lim_n x_n## by ##x##.

Fredrik said:
Did you understand this proof? I would still like to see you do at least one of these proofs on your own before I show you my solution of the problem you asked about. It can literally be any proof that involves the definition of limit. The following are two theorems that can be proved using the definition of limit. Can you prove any of them?

1. If x and y are both limits of ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, then x=y.
2. Let c be a real number. If ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty## is convergent, then so is ##(cx_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, and ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim x_n##.

(The phrase "is convergent" means "has a limit"). For the proof of the second theorem, I suggest that you denote ##\lim_n x_n## by ##x##.
Yea I understood your proof, quite disappointing I failed to see that since it was just a form of zero again. I need to think more about the first one but isn't the second one the same as what was proven in post 34/35?

Potatochip911 said:
Yea I understood your proof, quite disappointing I failed to see that since it was just a form of zero again. I need to think more about the first one but isn't the second one the same as what was proven in post 34/35?
Ah, yes, it's essentially the same. The only difference is that now it's an arbitrary sequence instead of a sequence of partial sums. The proof will be very similar.

Fredrik said:
Ah, yes, it's essentially the same. The only difference is that now it's an arbitrary sequence instead of a sequence of partial sums. The proof will be very similar.
Okay for the second proof I have:
##x=\lim_{n}x_{n}##
Let ##\varepsilon>0## and let N and n be positive integers such that $$
n\geq N \Rightarrow |x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|} \\
|c||x_{n}-x|<\varepsilon \\
|cx_{n}-cx|<\varepsilon \\
|cx_{n}-c\lim_{n}x_{n}|<\varepsilon \\
|cx_{n}-\lim_{n}c\cdot\lim_{n}x_{n}|<\varepsilon \\
|cx_{n}-\lim_{n}(cx_{n})|<\varepsilon $$
I'm still working on the first one.

A few comments:

1. You might want to make it more clear that the equality ##x=\lim_n x_n## is the definition of x. It's sufficent to add the word "define" before the equality: "Define ##x=\lim_n x_n##."

2. Your choice of N fails because you didn't make a "for all n" statement. This is my version of what needs to be said: Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N \Rightarrow\ |x_n-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}.$$
Suppose e.g. that for some specific choice of the sequence ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, the smallest N with that property is the number 100. Then we have
\begin{align*}
&|x_{100}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}\\
&|x_{101}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}\\
&\vdots
\end{align*} but the same sequence may also be such that
$$|x_{3}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}.$$ For such a sequence, the statement in your proof attempt allows the possibility N=n=3.

3. When you write one statement on each line, the reader will interpret this as you saying that each statement (except the first) is true because the statement on the previous line is true. You wrote statements of the form

If A then B
C
D

where B implied C, and C implied D. This is interpreted as saying that "if A then B" implies C, not as saying that B implies C.

4. After the line that contains the implication arrow, it's not clear what you're doing. Yes, you're looking at inequalities that you can derive from the inequality in that first line, but why? What you need to think about here is this: What does the statement ##\lim(cx_n)=cx## mean? (What does the definition of limit say that it means?). The statement that the definition says is equivalent to ##\lim(cx_n)=cx## is the statement that you need to prove. But I don't see any indication that this is the statement that you're trying to prove.

5. In the fourth line, you're substituting ##\lim_n x_n## for x. If we would need to do this at any point in the proof, it would be kind of pointless to introduce the notation x in the first place.

6. In the fourth line, you're using that the limit of the constant sequence c,c,c,... is c. This is correct, but it's a result that we haven't proved here. There is no need to use any other theorems in this proof.

7. In the fifth line, you're using a theorem about products of limits that we also haven't proved. It would be especially bad to use this one without proof, because the theorem I asked you to prove is a special case of it.Of all these comments, the most important one by far is the part of number 4 that reminds you that in order to prove the claim ##\lim_n(cx_n)=cx##, you have to know what it means. You should write it out for yourself on paper. Then you will have the statement that you need to prove right in front of you. I think that when you start doing this right, the other pieces will fall into place. In particular, you will see why the choice of N that you made is bad. That choice was supposed to enable you to complete the proof of that statement.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
A few comments:

1. You might want to make it more clear that the equality ##x=\lim_n x_n## is the definition of x. It's sufficent to add the word "define" before the equality: "Define ##x=\lim_n x_n##."

2. Your choice of N fails because you didn't make a "for all n" statement. This is my version of what needs to be said: Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N \Rightarrow\ |x_n-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}.$$
Suppose e.g. that for some specific choice of the sequence ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##, the smallest N with that property is the number 100. Then we have
\begin{align*}
&|x_{100}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}\\
&|x_{101}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}\\
&\vdots
\end{align*} but the same sequence may also be such that
$$|x_{3}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}.$$ For such a sequence, the statement in your proof attempt allows the possibility N=n=3.

3. When you write one statement on each line, the reader will interpret this as you saying that each statement (except the first) is true because the statement on the previous line is true. You wrote statements of the form

If A then B
C
D

where B implied C, and C implied D. This is interpreted as saying that "if A then B" implies C, not as saying that B implies C.

4. After the line that contains the implication arrow, it's not clear what you're doing. Yes, you're looking at inequalities that you can derive from the inequality in that first line, but why? What you need to think about here is this: What does the statement ##\lim(cx_n)=cx## mean? (What does the definition of limit say that it means?). The statement that the definition says is equivalent to ##\lim(cx_n)=cx## is the statement that you need to prove. But I don't see any indication that this is the statement that you're trying to prove.

5. In the fourth line, you're substituting ##\lim_n x_n## for x. If we would need to do this at any point in the proof, it would be kind of pointless to introduce the notation x in the first place.

6. In the fourth line, you're using that the limit of the constant sequence c,c,c,... is c. This is correct, but it's a result that we haven't proved here. There is no need to use any other theorems in this proof.

7. In the fifth line, you're using a theorem about products of limits that we also haven't proved. It would be especially bad to use this one without proof, because the theorem I asked you to prove is a special case of it.Of all these comments, the most important one by far is the part of number 4 that reminds you that in order to prove the claim ##\lim_n(cx_n)=cx##, you have to know what it means. You should write it out for yourself on paper. Then you will have the statement that you need to prove right in front of you. I think that when you start doing this right, the other pieces will fall into place. In particular, you will see why the choice of N that you made is bad. That choice was supposed to enable you to complete the proof of that statement.
The statement ##\lim(cx_{n})=cx## would mean $$|cx-\lim(cx_{n})|<\varepsilon$$ although I'm probably not allowed to just write this statement down.
Edit: Am I also supposed to just use the assumption ##\lim(cx_{n})=c\lim(x_{n})## so instead
$$
|cx-\lim(cx_{n})|=|cx-c\lim(x_{n})|=|c||x-\lim(x_{n})|<\varepsilon
$$

Last edited:
Potatochip911 said:
The statement ##\lim(cx_{n})=cx## would mean $$|cx-\lim(cx_{n})|<\varepsilon$$
This is incorrect. According to the definition of "limit", the statement means that for all ##\varepsilon>0##, there's a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |cx_n-cx|<\varepsilon.$$
The first "for all", the "there exists" and the second "for all" are all essential parts of the statement. If you miss anyone of them, the proof will fail.

Also note that it wouldn't make much sense for the definition of limit to use the notation "lim" in the explanation of what a limit is. The definition specifies what it means to say that a number is a limit of a sequence. Once we have done that, and proved that no sequence has more than one limit, we can define the notation "lim" by saying that ##\lim_n x_n## denotes the unique limit of the sequence ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##.

Potatochip911 said:
Edit: Am I also supposed to just use the assumption ##\lim(cx_{n})=c\lim(x_{n})## so instead
$$
|cx-\lim(cx_{n})|=|cx-c\lim(x_{n})|=|c||x-\lim(x_{n})|<\varepsilon
$$
That's not an assumption. It's what you're trying to prove. So you absolutely cannnot use it here.

If you need to use it in some other proof, it wouldn't look like that. You would have to make it clear how you're using the "for all ##\varepsilon>0##" (by saying "let ##\varepsilon>0##"), how you're using the "there exists" (to make a choice of N that will be useful later) and how you're using the "for all n" (by making a "for all n" statement). It would be very similar to what I did in the first sentence of the proof in post #53. The statement would involve ##|cx-cx_n|##, not ##|cx-c\lim_n x_n|##. It wouldn't involve the "lim" notation at all, since it's a statement made by a definition that logically had to be stated before that notation was introduced.

Fredrik said:
This is incorrect. According to the definition of "limit", the statement means that for all ##\varepsilon>0##, there's a positive integer N such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n.
$$n\geq N\ \Rightarrow\ |cx_n-cx|<\varepsilon.$$
The first "for all", the "there exists" and the second "for all" are all essential parts of the statement. If you miss anyone of them, the proof will fail.

Also note that it wouldn't make much sense for the definition of limit to use the notation "lim" in the explanation of what a limit is. The definition specifies what it means to say that a number is a limit of a sequence. Once we have done that, and proved that no sequence has more than one limit, we can define the notation "lim" by saying that ##\lim_n x_n## denotes the unique limit of the sequence ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##.That's not an assumption. It's what you're trying to prove. So you absolutely cannnot use it here.

If you need to use it in some other proof, it wouldn't look like that. You would have to make it clear how you're using the "for all ##\varepsilon>0##" (by saying "let ##\varepsilon>0##"), how you're using the "there exists" (to make a choice of N that will be useful later) and how you're using the "for all n" (by making a "for all n" statement). It would be very similar to what I did in the first sentence of the proof in post #53. The statement would involve ##|cx-cx_n|##, not ##|cx-c\lim_n x_n|##. It wouldn't involve the "lim" notation at all, since it's a statement made by a definition that logically had to be stated before that notation was introduced.
Let ##\varepsilon>0##, Let ##x=\lim_{n}x_{n}##, let ##n## be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers ##N##. $$n\geq N \Rightarrow |x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|} \\
|cx_{n}-cx|<\varepsilon$$ So is this what I wanted to prove?

Potatochip911 said:
Let ##\varepsilon>0##, Let ##x=\lim_{n}x_{n}##, let ##n## be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers ##N##. $$n\geq N \Rightarrow |x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|} \\
|cx_{n}-cx|<\varepsilon$$ So is this what I wanted to prove?
By letting ε be an arbitrary positive real number, and by choosing N this way, you have covered the first "for all" and the "there exists" in the statement that you want to prove. To finish the proof, you need to show that the second "for all" statement holds for this particular ε and this particular N. So the next thing you say should be "let n be a positive integer such that ##n\geq N##". Then you prove that last inequality.

After rereading it I think it would make more sense if I changed it to "Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n" since I think there is only one N but there are more integers larger than or equal to N, "n's", that will satisfy the limit. And by the second "for all" statement you are referring to ##|x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|}##?

Yes, I agree with what you're saying about N and n. What I called the second "for all" statement is the "for all positive integers n" statement.

Fredrik said:
Yes, I agree with what you're saying about N and n. What I called the second "for all" statement is the "for all positive integers n" statement.
Is this correct then? Let ##x=\lim_{n}x_{n}##, Let ##\varepsilon>0## and Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n: $$n \geq N \Rightarrow |x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|} \\
|cx_{n}-cx|<\varepsilon
$$

Potatochip911 said:
Is this correct then? Let ##x=\lim_{n}x_{n}##, Let ##\varepsilon>0## and Let N be a positive integer such that the following implication holds for all positive integers n: $$n \geq N \Rightarrow |x_{n}-x|<\frac{\varepsilon}{|c|} \\
|cx_{n}-cx|<\varepsilon
$$
Yes, that's a good start, but the last line is unnecessary. Also, it's weird to write that inequality on the line below the implication, because when you put statements on separate lines, each line should be implied by the one before it.

Fredrik said:
Yes, that's a good start, but the last line is unnecessary. Also, it's weird to write that inequality on the line below the implication, because when you put statements on separate lines, each line should be implied by the one before it.
So to imply that I should multiply both sides by ##|c|## on the line above?

Potatochip911 said:
So to imply that I should multiply both sides by ##|c|## on the line above?
The first line isn't an inequality that you can multiply by |c| to get the last line. It's an implication. The implication can be true even if the inequality is false. So the truth of the implication doesn't guarantee that the new inequality holds. Further, the implication isn't a standalone statement. It's just the ending of the definition of N.

What you have done so far is to use the assumption to assign a value to N that will help you prove that ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n##. So now you need to go ahead and prove that. To do this, it's essential that you understand what the statement ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n## means.

Edit: The first thing you should do is to write down (on a piece of paper or in a forum post, but not in the actual proof) the "for all ε" statement that according to the definition of "limit" is equivalent to ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n##. It should be easier to prove the statement when you have it in front of you.

That statement is of the type "for all ε there exists N such that for all n,..." In the part of the proof that you have already typed up, you have already let ε be an arbitrary positive real number. So you can focus on the rest of the statement, "there exists N such that for all n,..." But you have also already assigned a value to N, so the only thing left to do is to prove that that N is such that the "for all n" statement holds.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
The first line isn't an inequality that you can multiply by |c| to get the last line. It's an implication. The implication can be true even if the inequality is false. So the truth of the implication doesn't guarantee that the new inequality holds. Further, the implication isn't a standalone statement. It's just the ending of the definition of N.

What you have done so far is to use the assumption to assign a value to N that will help you prove that ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n##. So now you need to go ahead and prove that. To do this, it's essential that you understand what the statement ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n## means.

Edit: The first thing you should do is to write down (on a piece of paper or in a forum post, but not in the actual proof) the "for all ε" statement that according to the definition of "limit" is equivalent to ##\lim_n (cx_n)=c\lim_nx_n##. It should be easier to prove the statement when you have it in front of you.

That statement is of the type "for all ε there exists N such that for all n,..." In the part of the proof that you have already typed up, you have already let ε be an arbitrary positive real number. So you can focus on the rest of the statement, "there exists N such that for all n,..." But you have also already assigned a value to N, so the only thing left to do is to prove that that N is such that the "for all n" statement holds.
For ##\varepsilon>0## there exists a positive integer ##N## such that the following holds for all positive integers ##n## $$
n\geq N \Rightarrow |\lim_{n}(cx_{n})-c\lim_{n}(x_{n})|<\varepsilon
$$
Is this the inequality that I want?

Potatochip911 said:
For ##\varepsilon>0## there exists a positive integer ##N## such that the following holds for all positive integers ##n## $$
n\geq N \Rightarrow |\lim_{n}(cx_{n})-c\lim_{n}(x_{n})|<\varepsilon
$$
Is this the inequality that I want?
The statement is structured correctly, with the correct "for all"s and "there exists", but the inequality is not the right one. Keep in mind that the logical order of things is this:

1. Define what is meant by saying that a real number is a limit of a sequence.
2. Prove that no sequence has more than one limit.
3. Introduce the notation ##\lim_n x_n## for the unique limit of the sequence ##(x_n)_{n=1}^\infty##.

Because of this, it wouldn't make sense for the "lim" notation (introduced in step 3) to show up in a straightforward application of the definition of "limit" (step 1). Also, if you look at post #18 again, you will see that the "lim" notation doesn't appear in my definition of "limit".

Last edited: