Prove Trig Identities: sec(2x) - tan(2x) & cos(2x)/(1 + sin(2x))

• Thread starter Hockeystar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses proving two different trigonometric identities involving secant, tangent, cosine, and sine. The identities are given by the teacher and involve slight variations in the starting position. The conversation also mentions using other trigonometric identities to solve the problems, and ends with a question about how to proceed with the solution.
Hockeystar

Homework Statement

Teacher gave this identity twice to us but the starting position slightly varies.

Prove sec(2x) - tan(2x) = (cos(x)-sin(x))/(cos(x) + sin(x))

Prove cos(2x)/(1 + sin(2x)) = tan(pi/4-x)

Homework Equations

pretty much all trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to (1-sin(2x))/cos(2x) = (cos(x)-sin(x))/(cos(x) + sin(x)) and then I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Hockeystar! Welcome to PF! :wink:
Hockeystar said:
I get to (1-sin(2x))/cos(2x) = (cos(x)-sin(x))/(cos(x) + sin(x))

ok so far :rolleyes:

now what is cos(2x) ? :smile:

cosx - sinx(cosx + sinx). How does that help me cancel out something?

Hockeystar said:
cosx - sinx(cosx + sinx). How does that help me cancel out something?

You mean (cosx - sinx)(cosx + sinx) …

It doesn't have to cancel to help :wink:

think! look at the RHS!

FAQ: Prove Trig Identities: sec(2x) - tan(2x) & cos(2x)/(1 + sin(2x))

1. What is the purpose of proving trig identities?

The purpose of proving trig identities is to show that two expressions are equal to each other regardless of the values of the variables involved. This is important in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complicated expressions.

2. How do I prove trig identities?

To prove trig identities, you must use algebraic manipulations and the properties of trigonometric functions to show that one expression can be rewritten in terms of the other. This often involves using trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities and the double angle identities.

3. What is the first step in proving the identity sec(2x) - tan(2x) = cos(2x)/(1 + sin(2x))?

The first step is to rewrite sec(2x) and tan(2x) in terms of sine and cosine using the definitions of these trigonometric functions. This will allow you to manipulate the expression using algebraic techniques.

4. Can I use a calculator to prove trig identities?

No, calculators cannot prove trig identities. They can only evaluate expressions for specific values of the variables. Proving identities requires algebraic manipulation and cannot be done solely by numerical calculations.

5. Are there any tips for proving trig identities?

Yes, some tips for proving trig identities include: using algebraic techniques such as factoring and expanding, substituting in known identities, and working with one side of the equation at a time. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions and common trigonometric identities.

Back