Proving a Tangential Trig Identity

In summary, the conversation is about a trigonometric identity involving the Weierstrass substitution and the question of how it can be proven. The solution involves using the identities α = tanX and β = tanY to show that tan(X - Y) = (tanX - tanY)/(1 + tanXtanY).
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I was reading on the Weierstrass substitution, and I came across the following trigonometric identity:

[tex]tan^{-1}(\alpha) - tan^{-1}(\beta) = tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\alpha-\beta}{1+\alpha \beta}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure which equations are applicable here.

The Attempt at a Solution

What my question is is "how is this proven?". And try as I might, I don't see a way to prove this. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Char! :smile:

If α = tanX and β = tanY, it says tan(X - Y) = (tanX - tanY)/(1 + tanXtanY) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Char! :smile:

If α = tanX and β = tanY, it says tan(X - Y) = (tanX - tanY)/(1 + tanXtanY) :wink:

Hello tiny-tim!

Oh wow, it does. Thanks!

Related to Proving a Tangential Trig Identity

What is a tangential trig identity?

A tangential trig identity is a mathematical equation that relates the tangent function to other trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

What is the most commonly used tangential trig identity?

The most commonly used tangential trig identity is the Pythagorean identity, which states that the square of the tangent function is equal to the sum of the squares of the sine and cosine functions.

How is the tangential trig identity used in real life?

The tangential trig identity is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and navigation. It helps to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or the distance between two points.

What are some examples of tangential trig identities?

Some examples of tangential trig identities include the double angle identity, half angle identity, and power reduction identity. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

Why is it important to understand tangential trig identities?

Understanding tangential trig identities is important for solving complex trigonometric equations and applications in various fields. It also helps to develop a deeper understanding of the relationships between trigonometric functions and their properties.