Proving Asymptotic Bound: n*4^n=O(n!)

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bound
In summary: I believe that your original proof (which, unlike the idea above, does not use fractions) can be written more carefully and explicitly in inductive form, but I don't have time at the moment to write it out. I'll...think about it.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

$$\text{ I want to prove that } n \cdot 4^n=O(n!), \text{ so that } \exists c>0, n_0 \geq 0, \text{ such that } \forall n \geq n_0: n \cdot 4^n \leq c \cdot n!$$

That's what I have tried:

$$n \cdot 4^n=n \cdot \underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_n=4 \cdot 4 \cdot 4 \cdot4 \cdot \underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_{n-4} \cdot n \leq 4^4 \cdot 1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot \underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_{n-4} \cdot n \leq 4^4 \cdot 1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 5 \cdots (n-1) \cdot n=4^4 \cdot n!, \forall n \geq 0$$

We pick $n_0=0$ and $c=4^4$ and we have that: $4^n=O(n!)$.

Can we say it like that or do we have to prove that it stands also with an other way, for example by induction? (Thinking)

Technology news on Phys.org
Your proof works for $n\ge 4$, but I am not sure about $n<4$ since you use the notation $\underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_{n-4}$, which does not make sense for $n<4$. The constants $n_0=0$ and $c=4^4$ are correct, though.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Your proof works for $n\ge 4$, but I am not sure about $n<4$ since you use the notation $\underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_{n-4}$, which does not make sense for $n<4$. The constants $n_0=0$ and $c=4^4$ are correct, though.

I undertstand! (Nod) So, does this proof suffice or do I have to prove it also by indunction or with an other way? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So, does this proof suffice
Hmm. Let me say it again.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am not sure about $n<4$ since you use the notation $\underbrace{4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4}_{n-4}$, which does not make sense for $n<4$.
evinda said:
do I have to prove it also by indunction
Technically, every proof that involves ellipses ($\cdots$) uses induction. However, it is often abbreviated by using dots or by saying things like "and so on". Usually this is perfectly fine. I don't think rewriting your proof to use explicit induction would make it clearer, so if your course does not require induction, I would leave it as is after correcting the $n<4$ case. For example, $(1\cdot2\cdot\ldots\cdot(n-1))\cdot n\ne n!$ when $n=0$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Hmm. Let me say it again.

Technically, every proof that involves ellipses ($\cdots$) uses induction. However, it is often abbreviated by using dots or by saying things like "and so on". Usually this is perfectly fine. I don't think rewriting your proof to use explicit induction would make it clearer, so if your course does not require induction, I would leave it as is after correcting the $n<4$ case. For example, $(1\cdot2\cdot\ldots\cdot(n-1))\cdot n\ne n!$ when $n=0$.

For $n=1: 4 \leq c \cdot 1$, for $c=4 \checkmark$

For $n=2: 2 \cdot 16 \leq c \cdot 2$, for $c=16 \checkmark$

For $n=3: 3 \cdot 4^3 \leq c 6$, for $c=4^3 \checkmark$

For $n=4: 4^5 \leq c \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2$, for $c=4^4 \checkmark$

Is it right? (Thinking)

What you wrote is correct, but a proof of big-O must use a single $c$. This is expressed in the fact that in the definition of big-O $\exists c$ comes before $\forall n\ge n_0$. This means that a single $c$ must work for all $n$. This is crucial because if $c$ can change with $n$, then I can say that $n^2=O(n)$ because for $c=n$ we have $n^2\le cn$. Of course, in your proof you can simply take $c=4^4$ in all cases.

Also, you checked some values of $n$ starting from $n=1$, but in your initial proof $n_0=0$ and $n\ge n_0$, i.e., $n$ can equal 0.

I would not go through this hassle and simply declare $n_0=4$, so that the general case of your proof works.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What you wrote is correct, but a proof of big-O must use a single $c$. This is expressed in the fact that in the definition of big-O $\exists c$ comes before $\forall n\ge n_0$. This means that a single $c$ must work for all $n$. This is crucial because if $c$ can change with $n$, then I can say that $n^2=O(n)$ because for $c=n$ we have $n^2\le cn$. Of course, in your proof you can simply take $c=4^4$ in all cases.

Also, you checked some values of $n$ starting from $n=1$, but in your initial proof $n_0=0$ and $n\ge n_0$, i.e., $n$ can equal 0.

I would not go through this hassle and simply declare $n_0=4$, so that the general case of your proof works.

I understand! (Smile)

How could we prove it by induction for $n \geq 4$?

For $n=4: 4 \cdot 4^4 \leq 4^4 \cdot 4! \checkmark$

We suppose that $n \cdot 4^n \leq 4^4 \cdot n!$

$(n+1) \cdot 4^{n+1}=n \cdot 4^{n+1}+4^{n+1}=n \cdot 4^n \cdot 4+4^n \cdot 4$

How could we continue? (Thinking)

You could prove that $4\frac{n+1}{n}\le n+1$ for $n\ge 4$ and multiply $4^nn$ by $4\frac{n+1}{n}$ and $n!$ by $n+1$.

I believe that your original proof (which, unlike the idea above, does not use fractions) can be written more carefully and explicitly in inductive form, but I don't have time at the moment to write it out. I'll think about it later.

Your original idea can be rendered using induction as follows.

Lemma. If $n\ge 4$, then
\[
4^n<4^4(n-1)!\enspace.\qquad(*)
\]
Proof by induction on $n$. If $n=4$, then $4^4<4^4\cdot1\cdot2\cdot 3$. Suppose that $4^k<4^4(k-1)!$ and $k\ge 4$. Then multiplying the left-hand side by $4$ and the right-hand side by $k\ge 4$ the inequality becomes $4^{k+1}<4^4k!$, as required.

Theorem. If $n\ge 4$, then $4^nn<4^4n!$.
Proof. Just multiply both sides of (*) by $n$.

FAQ: Proving Asymptotic Bound: n*4^n=O(n!)

1. What is an asymptotic bound?

An asymptotic bound is a mathematical concept used to describe the growth rate or behavior of a function as its input size approaches infinity. It provides an upper or lower limit on the growth rate of a function.

2. How is an asymptotic bound determined?

An asymptotic bound is determined by comparing the growth rate of a function to that of a simpler function, such as a polynomial or exponential function. The dominant term in the function is used to determine the overall growth rate.

3. What does the notation "O" mean in asymptotic bounds?

The notation "O" in asymptotic bounds represents the upper bound or worst-case scenario for the growth rate of a function. It indicates that the growth rate of the function is no larger than the specified function or expression.

4. How is the asymptotic bound for n*4^n=O(n!) calculated?

To calculate the asymptotic bound for n*4^n=O(n!), we compare the growth rate of n*4^n to that of n!. By taking the limit as n approaches infinity, we can see that the growth rate of n*4^n is smaller than n!. Therefore, n*4^n=O(n!).

5. Why is it important to determine the asymptotic bound of a function?

Determining the asymptotic bound of a function is important because it allows us to analyze the efficiency and scalability of algorithms and data structures. By understanding the growth rate of a function, we can make informed decisions on which algorithms or data structures will perform best for a given problem size.

Back