Proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, we need to prove that $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ if $f(n) \geq \epsilon$ for some $\epsilon > 0$ and for all but some finite set of $n$, and there exist constants $c_1 > 0$ and $c_2 > 0$ such that $g(n) \leq c_1f(n) + c_2$ for almost all $n \geq 0$. This means that there exists a $c > 0$ and $n_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that for all $n \geq n_0$, $g(n) \leq cf(n)$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am asked to prove that $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ if $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ , for some $\epsilon>0$ and for all but some finite set of $n$ and there exist constants $c_1>0$ and $c_2>0$ such that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2$ for almost all $n\geq 0$.

$g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ means that $\exists c>0, n_0\in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\forall n\geq n_0: g(n) \leq c f(n)$.

How could I prove that $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ if $f$ and $g$ satisfy the above inequalities?? (Wondering)

Technology news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I am asked to prove that $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ if $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ , for some $\epsilon>0$ and for all but some finite set of $n$ and there exist constants $c_1>0$ and $c_2>0$ such that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2$ for almost all $n\geq 0$.

$g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ means that $\exists c>0, n_0\in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\forall n\geq n_0: g(n) \leq c f(n)$.

How could I prove that $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ if $f$ and $g$ satisfy the above inequalities?? (Wondering)

Hi! (Smile)So we are given that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2$.
And we need to find a $c$ such that we can ensure that $g(n) \leq c f(n)$.
Yes?Suppose we can find a $c$ such that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n)$.
Which condition would that impose on $c$? (Wondering)

Let $M$ be the finite set where there are no constants $c_1, c_2$ where $g(n) \leq c_1f(n) + c_2$. To show $g \in O(f)$ by definition of $O()$, choose $c = c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\varepsilon}$, and let $n_0 = \max{M} + 1$.

I like Serena said:
Suppose we can find a $c$ such that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n)$.
Which condition would that impose on $c$? (Wondering)
$c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n) \Rightarrow (c-c_1)f(n) \geq c_2\Rightarrow f(n)\geq \frac{c_2}{c-c_1}$

We know that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$, for some $\epsilon >0$

From these two relations we can chose $$\frac{c_2}{c-c_1}=\epsilon\Rightarrow c=\frac{c_2+c_1\epsilon}{\epsilon}$$

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
$c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n) \Rightarrow (c-c_1)f(n) \geq c_2\Rightarrow f(n)\geq \frac{c_2}{c-c_1}$

We know that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$, for some $\epsilon >0$

From these two relations we can chose $$\frac{c_2}{c-c_1}=\epsilon\Rightarrow c=\frac{c_2+c_1\epsilon}{\epsilon}$$

Yes. (Smile)

Slightly sharper:
$$c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n) \quad\Rightarrow\quad c \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{f(n)} \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\epsilon} $$
So the required relation is satisfied if we pick:
$$c \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\epsilon} $$
(Nerd)

magneto said:
Let $M$ be the finite set where there are no constants $c_1, c_2$ where $g(n) \leq c_1f(n) + c_2$. To show $g \in O(f)$ by definition of $O()$, choose $c = c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\varepsilon}$, and let $n_0 = \max{M} + 1$.

So is it as followed?? (Wondering)

We want to find $c>0$ and $n_0\geq 0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0: g(n)\leq c f(n)$.

We know that there are constants $c_1>0$ and $c_2>0$ such that $g(n)\leq c_1 f(n)+c_2, \forall n \geq \max M +1$

$$\Rightarrow g(n)\leq \left ( c_1+\frac{c_2}{f(n)}\right ) f(n), \forall n\geq \max M +1$$

Let $N$ be the finite set where it does not stand that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ for some $\epsilon>0.$
So, we have that $$g(n)\leq \left ( c_1+\frac{c_2}{\epsilon}\right ) f(n), \forall n\geq n_0$$
where $n_0=\max\{\max M+1, \max N+1\}$.

Choosing $c=c_1+\frac{c_2}{\epsilon}$ and $n_0=\max\{\max M+1, \max N+1\}$ we have that $g(n)\leq cf(n), \forall n\geq n_0$.

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
Yes. (Smile)

Slightly sharper:
$$c_1 f(n)+c_2 \leq c f(n) \quad\Rightarrow\quad c \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{f(n)} \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\epsilon} $$
(Nerd)
And do we find the $n_0$ as I wrote it above?? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yes. (Smile)

Slightly sharper:
(Nerd)

We have that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$, so shouldn`t it be $\frac{1}{f(n)}\leq \frac{1}{\epsilon}$??

mathmari said:
And do we find the $n_0$ as I wrote it above?? (Wondering)

We would use the $n_0$ that applies to $g(n)≤c1f(n)+c2$. (Wasntme)
mathmari said:
We have that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$, so shouldn`t it be $\frac{1}{f(n)}\leq \frac{1}{\epsilon}$??

You are right! (Blush)

We should pick $c$ such that:
$$c \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\epsilon} \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{f(n)}$$

mathmari said:
Let $N$ be the finite set where it does not stand that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ for some $\epsilon>0.$
So, we have that $$g(n)\leq \left ( c_1+\frac{c_2}{\epsilon}\right ) f(n), \forall n\geq n_0$$
where $n_0=\max\{\max M+1, \max N+1\}$.

There is no need to introduce $N$ in your proof, since $N$ is empty. You were given $f(n) \geq \varepsilon$ for all natural $n$. The reason why there is a $\max M + 1$ as I suggested is to find a $n_0$ where the bound will hold for $n > n_0$ (or sufficiently large $n$).

Note that the entire proof falls apart if there are infinitely many $n$ where you cannot find constants $c_1,c_2$ where $g \leq c_1 f + c_2$.

I like Serena said:
We would use the $n_0$ that applies to $g(n)≤c1f(n)+c2$. (Wasntme)

Why do we not use also the $n_0$ that applies to $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ ?? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
You are right! (Blush)

We should pick $c$ such that:
$$c \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{\epsilon} \ge c_1 + \frac{c_2}{f(n)}$$

I see! (Smile)

- - - Updated - - -

magneto said:
There is no need to introduce $N$ in your proof, since $N$ is empty. You were given $f(n) \geq \varepsilon$ for all natural $n$.

We are given that $f(n)\geq \epsilon $ for some $\epsilon>0$ and for all but some finite set of $n$.

Why is $N$ empty?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why do we not use also the $n_0$ that applies to $f(n)\geq \epsilon$ ?? (Wondering)

Because I was reading:

We are given that $f(n)\geq \epsilon $ for some $\epsilon>0$ .

It seemed to me that what came after belonged to the second condition, but perhaps it doesn't. (Doh)

I like Serena said:
Because I was reading:

We are given that $f(n)\geq \epsilon $ for some $\epsilon>0$ .

It seemed to me that what came after belonged to the second condition, but perhaps it doesn't. (Doh)

It belongs to the first condition... (Blush)

So,do we have to take into consideration the set of $n$ for which it stands that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
It belongs to the first condition... (Blush)

So,do we have to take into consideration the set of $n$ for which it stands that $f(n)\geq \epsilon$?? (Wondering)

Yes.
We need an $n_0$ such that both conditions are satisfied. (Sweating)

Pick the largest $n$ for which either of the conditions is not satisfied.
That should exist.
Then add $1$ and pick that as $n_0$. (Whew)

I like Serena said:
Yes.
We need an $n_0$ such that both conditions are satisfied. (Sweating)

Pick the largest $n$ for which either of the conditions is not satisfied.
That should exist.
Then add $1$ and pick that as $n_0$. (Whew)

Ok! (Smile) Can we formulate it as I did in post #6?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ok! (Smile) Can we formulate it as I did in post #6?? (Wondering)

Sure. (Smile)

Great! Thank you very much! (Bow)

FAQ: Proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities

What is the definition of "Proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities"?

The definition of "Proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities" is a mathematical process of determining the relationship between two functions, $g(n)$ and $f(n)$, where $g(n)$ grows no faster than $f(n)$, or in other words, $f(n)$ is an upper bound for $g(n)$.

What are the necessary steps to prove $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities?

The necessary steps to prove $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities are:
1. Rewrite the given inequalities in the form of $g(n) \leq cf(n)$, where $c$ is a constant.
2. Choose a suitable value for $c$ that satisfies the inequality.
3. Prove that the inequality is true for all values of $n$ greater than or equal to a certain value, usually denoted as $n_0$.
4. State the proof in a clear and concise manner.

What is the significance of proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities?

The significance of proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities is that it helps us understand the growth rate of a function $g(n)$ in comparison to another function $f(n)$. It also helps in analyzing the efficiency of algorithms, as it gives us an upper bound on the time complexity of the algorithm.

What are some common examples of functions $g(n)$ and $f(n)$ in proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities?

Some common examples of functions $g(n)$ and $f(n)$ used in proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities are:
1. $g(n) = n^2$ and $f(n) = n^3$
2. $g(n) = \log(n)$ and $f(n) = n$
3. $g(n) = n$ and $f(n) = 2^n$
4. $g(n) = n^2$ and $f(n) = n^2 + n$

What are some common mistakes to avoid while proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities?

Some common mistakes to avoid while proving $g(n)$ is $O(f(n))$ with given inequalities are:
1. Using incorrect algebraic manipulations while rewriting the given inequalities.
2. Choosing an incorrect value for $c$ that does not satisfy the inequality.
3. Not proving that the inequality holds for all values of $n$ greater than or equal to $n_0$.
4. Assuming that a function with a higher degree will always have a higher growth rate compared to a function with a lower degree.