Proving Inequality for Variables with Constraints

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality $\sqrt{a(1-b)(1-c)}+ \sqrt{b(1-a)(1-c)}+\sqrt{c(1-a)(1-b)} \le 1 + \sqrt{abc}$ for the given values of $a,b,c$. Initially, there was a typo in the inequality sign, but it was corrected later. The solution was deemed to be correct by another person.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Let $0 \le a,b,c \le 1.$ Prove the inequality:$\sqrt{a(1-b)(1-c)}+ \sqrt{b(1-a)(1-c)}+\sqrt{c(1-a)(1-b)} \le 1 + \sqrt{abc}$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
Let $0 \le a,b,c \le 1.$ Prove the inequality:$\sqrt{a(1-b)(1-c)}+ \sqrt{b(1-a)(1-c)}+\sqrt{c(1-a)(1-b)} \ge 1 + \sqrt{abc}(1)$
for a=b=c=1 ,(1) is not true

Albert said:
for a=b=c=1 ,(1) is not true

You´re right, Albert. I´ve made a typo. The inequality sign should be reversed. I´m sorry for my mistake.

Thankyou for pointing this out to me.

Cheers, lfdahl

lfdahl said:
Let $0 \le a,b,c \le 1.$ Prove the inequality:$\sqrt{a(1-b)(1-c)}+ \sqrt{b(1-a)(1-c)}+\sqrt{c(1-a)(1-b)} \le 1 + \sqrt{abc}$
my solution:
$set:\,\, (1-a)=sin^2 A,(1-b)=sin^2 B, 1-c=sin^2C,it\,\,is\,\,to\,\,prove:\\
cosAsinBsinC+cosBsinCsinA+cosCsinAsinB-cosAcosBcosC\leq1\\
or\,\, cosA(sinBsinC-cosBcosC)+sinA(sinBcosC+cosBsinC)\leq 1\\
sinAsin(B+C)-cosAcos(B+C)\leq 1\\
cosAcos(B+C)-sinAsin(B+C)\geq -1\\
cos(A+B+C)\geq -1$
$and \,\, the\,\,proof\,\,is \,\, done $

Last edited:
Albert said:
my solution:
$set:\,\, (1-a)=sin^2 A,(1-b)=sin^2 B, 1-c=sin^2C,it\,\,is\,\,to\,\,prove:\\
cosAsinBsinC+cosBsinCsinA+cosCsinAsinB-cosAcosBcosC\leq1\\
or\,\, cosA(sinBsinC-cosBcosC)+sinA(sinBcosC+cosBsinC)\leq 1\\
sinAsin(B+C)-cosAcos(B+C)\leq 1\\
cosAcos(B+C)-sinAsin(B+C)\geq -1\\
cos(A+B+C)\geq -1$
$and \,\, the\,\,proof\,\,is \,\, done $

Very nice solution, Albert! :cool:

FAQ: Proving Inequality for Variables with Constraints

1. What is inequality and why is it important to study?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups in a society. This can manifest in various forms, such as economic, social, and political inequality. It is important to study because it has significant impacts on individuals, societies, and the global economy. It can lead to social unrest, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty and disadvantage.

2. Is there evidence to support the existence of inequality?

Yes, there is extensive evidence that shows the existence of inequality in various aspects of life. For example, studies have shown that there is a significant income gap between the rich and poor, with the top 1% of the world's population owning 44% of the world's wealth. Additionally, social mobility is limited, and marginalized groups often face discrimination and unequal treatment in areas such as education, healthcare, and employment.

3. What are the causes of inequality?

Inequality is a complex issue, and its causes are multifaceted. Some of the main factors that contribute to inequality include historical and systemic discrimination, unequal distribution of resources and opportunities, and unequal power dynamics within societies. Globalization and technological advancements have also played a role in widening the gap between the rich and poor.

4. How can we measure inequality?

Inequality can be measured using various indicators, such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income distribution, and the Human Development Index, which considers factors such as education, health, and standard of living. Other measures include the Palma ratio, which compares the income share of the top 10% to the bottom 40%, and the gender pay gap, which measures the difference in earnings between men and women.

5. What can be done to address inequality?

Addressing inequality requires a multi-faceted approach that involves policy changes, social and cultural shifts, and individual actions. Some potential solutions include implementing progressive taxation systems, investing in education and healthcare for marginalized communities, promoting equal opportunities and diversity in the workplace, and addressing systemic discrimination and biases. It also requires a collective effort from governments, organizations, and individuals to create more inclusive and equitable societies.