Proving L is an Ideal - Part of the Proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem

In summary, the significance of proving L is an ideal in Hilbert's Bass Theorem is that it allows us to use algebraic properties of the ideal to make conclusions about the original Lie algebra and its associated Lie group. An ideal in mathematics is a subset of a larger algebraic structure that behaves nicely under certain operations. In the proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem, L is shown to be an ideal by defining it as such and using mathematical techniques to show that it meets the necessary conditions. Ideals play an important role in understanding the structure and behavior of Lie algebras. The proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem can be adapted to other mathematical structures, such as Lie superalgebras and associative algebras.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit ad Foote's proof of Hilbert's Basis Theorem (See attached for the theorem and proof)

In the proof I is an ideal in R[x] L is the set of all leading coefficients of elements of I

D&F then proceed to prove that L is an ideal of R

Basically they establish that if elements a and b belong to L and r belongs to L then ra - b belongs to L.

D&F claim that this shows that L is an ideal but for an ideal we need to show that for [TEX] a, b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] r \in R[/TEX] we have:

[TEX] a - b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] ra \in R [/TEX]

My question is how exactly does [TEX] ra - b \in L \Longrightarrow a - b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] ra \in R [/TEX]??

Peter[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Dummit ad Foote's proof of Hilbert's Basis Theorem (See attached for the theorem and proof)

In the proof I is an ideal in R[x] L is the set of all leading coefficients of elements of I

D&F then proceed to prove that L is an ideal of R

Basically they establish that if elements a and b belong to L and r belongs to L then ra - b belongs to L.

D&F claim that this shows that L is an ideal but for an ideal we need to show that for [TEX] a, b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] r \in R[/TEX] we have:

[TEX] a - b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] ra \in R [/TEX]

My question is how exactly does [TEX] ra - b \in L \Longrightarrow a - b \in L [/TEX] and [TEX] ra \in R [/TEX]??
If you know that $ra-b\in L$ whenever $a,b\in L$ and $r\in R$ then in particular this will hold when $b=0$, so that $ra\in L$; and also when $r=1$ (the identity element of $R$) so that $a-b\in L$.

Related to Proving L is an Ideal - Part of the Proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem

1. What is the significance of proving L is an ideal in Hilbert's Bass Theorem?

The proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem involves showing that the set L, known as the Lie algebra, is an ideal. This is important because it allows us to use certain algebraic properties of the ideal to make conclusions about the original Lie algebra and its associated Lie group.

2. What is an ideal in mathematics?

In mathematics, an ideal is a subset of a larger algebraic structure, such as a ring or a field, that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the larger structure. In simpler terms, an ideal is a special type of subset that behaves nicely under certain operations.

3. How is L shown to be an ideal in the proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem?

In the proof, we start by defining the set L as an ideal if it satisfies certain conditions, such as being closed under the Lie bracket operation. Then, we use mathematical techniques such as induction and the Jacobi identity to show that L does indeed meet these conditions, thus proving that it is an ideal.

4. What is the relationship between ideals and Lie algebras?

Ideals play an important role in the study of Lie algebras, which are mathematical structures that describe the algebraic properties of Lie groups. In particular, ideals help us understand the structure and behavior of Lie algebras by providing a way to simplify and analyze their properties.

5. Can the proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem be generalized to other mathematical structures?

Yes, the proof of Hilbert's Bass Theorem can be adapted and applied to other algebraic structures, such as Lie superalgebras and associative algebras. However, the specific details and techniques used may vary depending on the structure being studied.