Proving Shortest Distance Between 3 Points on a Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses proving or showing that there is always a shorter way between any two points on the perimeter of a circle, with a diagram and the distance being between 0 and the diameter of the circle. However, without further clarification, it is not possible to determine if the suggested solution is correct.
roni1
I have 3 point on a perimeter of circle.
How I prove/show between every the two point of them there is always short way that the way between the other points?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: question

roni said:
I have 3 point on a perimeter of circle.
How I prove/show between every the two point of them there is always short way that the way between the other points?

Are you talking about the distance along the circumference of the circle?

I mean to segments between the 3 points.

roni said:
I mean to segments between the 3 points.

Can you provide a diagram illustrating what you're trying to do?

The answer:
The distance be between 0 to D.
D = diameter.
Am I right?

roni said:
The answer:
The distance be between 0 to D.
D = diameter.
Am I right?
As it seems that we don't know what the question is asking I don't think anyone can tell you if that's right or not.

-Dan

Related to Proving Shortest Distance Between 3 Points on a Circle

1. What is the formula for calculating the shortest distance between three points on a circle?

The formula for calculating the shortest distance between three points on a circle is known as the central angle theorem. This theorem states that the shortest distance between three points on a circle is equal to the angle formed by the three points, multiplied by the radius of the circle.

2. Is the shortest distance between three points on a circle always a straight line?

No, the shortest distance between three points on a circle is not always a straight line. The shortest distance is determined by the angle formed by the three points, which may result in a curved path rather than a straight line.

3. Can the shortest distance between three points on a circle be negative?

No, the shortest distance between three points on a circle cannot be negative. This is because distance is a measure of the absolute value between two points, and cannot be negative.

4. How is the shortest distance between three points on a circle useful in real-world applications?

The shortest distance between three points on a circle is useful in many real-world applications, such as navigation systems, map-making, and engineering design. It allows for accurate calculations of distances and angles, which are essential in these fields.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the shortest distance between three points on a circle?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the shortest distance between three points on a circle, such as using trigonometric functions or geometric constructions. However, the central angle theorem is the most commonly used and efficient method for this calculation.