Proving the Centeredness of Fractions using the Min Function

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the author is asking for help proving that if a1,a2,a3,a4,..,an are given, then the sum of the numerator divided by the sum of the denominator is between the largest and smallest fractions. The author is trying to prove this by induction on n, but is stuck.
Miike012
Question on proof...

Homework Statement

The theorem says ...
If: we are given a1/b1 ; a2/b2 ; an;bn
Then: the sum of the numerator divided by the sum of the denominator lies between the largest and smallest fraction.
( I understand this)
BUT the theorem only proves that the sum is bigger than the smallest or smaller than the largest... it does not prove that it is in the center.
for instance...
a/b is the smallest
a/b = k
a1/b1 > k
an/bn >k

finally... a1 + bn/b1+bn > k ; k = a/b

Homework Equations

Here is my question. first off that proved nothing... or I am obviously oblivious to something that it is trying to show me...?
2nd: is there a way to prove that
IF a/b = k = smallest
A/B > k = largest number
Sum(a)/Sum(b) < k+1
Sum(an)/Sum(bn) < k+1
(The reason I added one to k is to indicate that it is larger than a/b... idk if I would be correct though...?)

So... a/b < (Sum(a) + Sum(an)) / (Sum(b) +Sum(bn) ) < A/B

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you clarify what exactly your question is?
Are you trying to prove "min{an/bn}<=sum(an)/sum(bn)<=max{an/bn}"?

If this is what you're trying to prove, where do you get stuck?

I don't know how to prove it.

Sorry it was hard to follow what you were saying, are you trying to prove:

Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn} ≤ (a1+a2+…+an)/(b1+b2+..+bn) ≤ Max{a1/b2, a2/b2,…,an/bn}

if so do induction on n and use these facts:

Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn, an+1/bn+1}≤Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn}
and
Max{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn}≤Max{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn,an+1/bn+1}

click on this link... it has the problem..
http://mathhelpp.webs.com

My issue is ... the theorem says that the sum of the numberator divided by the sum of the denominator is between the smallest and the largest ratios.

But when they prove it they only prove that the sum of the num/den is larger than the smallest ratio...

Shouldnt they prove that the sum is between the largest and smallest ratios? After all that is whawt they are claiming.

Last edited by a moderator:

My work blocks most internet links so I can’t see your URL right now. But they should show both from what you say. The author may have just assumed since the two cases are so similar that showing you one was sufficient. If you are familiar with induction this is a fairly straight forward proof.

Since apparently you have a copy of the proof online, here is what I was thinking:

For n=1
Min{a1/b1} ≤ a1/b1 ≤ max{a1/b1}
is trivial

assume this relation holds for n, i.e.
Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn} ≤ (a1+a2+…+an)/(b1+b2+..+bn) ≤ Max{a1/b2, a2/b2,…,an/bn}

and Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn, an+1/bn+1}≤Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn} comes from the definition of min for any n+1/bn+1 term (this is easy to prove, do you see why? Consider the case where n+1/bn+1 is the smallest element, and where n+1/bn+1 is not the smallest element)

Putting these two together
Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn, an+1/bn+1}≤Min{a1/b1, a2/b2,…,an/bn} ≤ (a1+a2+…+an)/(b1+b2+..+bn)

now consider (a1+a2+…+an)/(b1+b2+..+bn) ≤ (a1+a2+…+an)/(b1+b2+..+bn) for the cases where an+1/bn+1 is and isn't the smallest.

which will prove the n+1 case for Min, a similar argument can be made for Max

Last edited:

Jeez, I want to be able to prove stuff like that... I havnt learned any of that yet. I am really new to math, I've only taken a sem of algebra.
What math did you go through?

Lol I’ve taken a lot of math courses; I have bachelors and I’ve taken a few graduate courses in math. But, I’m small fries on this forum. There are several PHD mathematicians who post regularly.

Do you know what the Min function does? It returns the smallest element.

So, some examples:
Min{1/2,1/4,3/5} = 1/4
Min{.1,.01,001,.0001} = .0001
Min {1,2,3,4,5,..} = 1

Why don’t you try to prove min{a1,a2,a3,a4,..,an,b} ≤ min{a1,a2,a3,a4,..,an} no matter what a1,a2,a3,a4,..,an, and b are. It relates to your original question. I gave you a hint how on my last post.

Related to Proving the Centeredness of Fractions using the Min Function

1. What is the definition of proof?

Proof is evidence or an argument that establishes the truth of a statement or proposition.

2. How do you determine if something is true?

In science, we use the scientific method to determine the truth of a statement. This involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion.

3. What makes a proof valid?

A proof is considered valid if it follows a logical and systematic approach, using reliable evidence and sound reasoning to support the claim being made.

4. Can a proof ever be considered 100% certain?

In science, we cannot claim absolute certainty since new evidence or discoveries may arise that could challenge our understanding of the world. However, a proof can be considered highly reliable and accepted by the scientific community if it has been rigorously tested and replicated.

5. How do you handle conflicting proofs?

In science, conflicting proofs are common and can arise due to various factors such as different methodologies or limitations in the data. In these cases, further research and analysis are needed to determine which proof is more reliable, or if a new approach is needed to reconcile the conflicting evidence.