Proving the Fourier Transform Property: e^(ip0x)f(x) = f'(p - p0)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier transform of f(x) and how it relates to the Fourier transform of e^(ip0x)f(x). The conversation also mentions equations for f(x) and f'(p) and the attempt at a solution by substituting e^(ip0x) f(x) into the f'(p) equation. The discussion concludes with setting P = p-p0 to simplify the integral and finding that the solution follows from there. The topic is considered to be an easy 5 marks on a paper.
12x4

Homework Statement

f'(p) is the Fourier transform of f(x). Show that the Fourier transform of e^(ip0x)f(x) is f'(p - p0). (using f'(p) for transform)

Homework Equations

f(x) = 1/√(2pi) ∫e^(ipx) f'(p) dp (intergral from -∞ to ∞)

f'(p) = 1/√(2pi) ∫e^(-ipx) f(x) dx (also from -∞ to ∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I substituted e^(ip0x) f(x) into the f'(p) formula and after rearranging came up with:

f'(p) = 1/√(2pi) ∫ e^(ix(p - p0))f(x) dx

If I'm completely honest I'm not really sure what I am doing here. I can see that this looks similar to the formula for f'(p) but I was just jiggling things around to see what happened. Its worth mentioning as well that this is a 5 mark question on a past exam paper so I assume that I have to do a lot more than what I have already done. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about setting P = p-p0 ?
It won't mean anything to the integral because p is constant to x, it's just to make our lives easier !
In case what i said isn't clear, here's what i mean
∫e^(ix(p-p0))f(x) dx = ∫e^(ixP)f(x) dx = f'(P) = f(p-p0)

Likes 12x4
Thanks Noctisdark, think i was just doubting myself but have found that it follows on from there quite nicely. Seems like an easy 5 marks on a paper!

FAQ: Proving the Fourier Transform Property: e^(ip0x)f(x) = f'(p - p0)

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique that decomposes a function or signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of science and engineering.

2. How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by representing a function as a series of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies. These waves, known as Fourier components, combine to recreate the original function.

3. What are the applications of Fourier transforms?

Fourier transforms are commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, data compression, and solving differential equations. They also have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is used for continuous functions or signals, while a Fourier series is used for periodic functions. Additionally, a Fourier transform produces a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while a Fourier series produces a discrete set of frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Fourier transforms?

One limitation of Fourier transforms is that they assume the function or signal is stationary, meaning it does not change over time. They also require the function to be continuous and have a finite integral. Additionally, Fourier transforms cannot be used on non-linear or time-varying systems.