Proving the trigonometric identity

Now, I tried to do the same thing for the following series: sin2 + sin4 + sin6 + ... + sin 88I got a little stuck since I can't use the same method for the denominator. Can you help me please?Sure. The key is to write the sum as the imaginary part of a complex sum.We want to sum sines of the form sin 2k, where k is an integer, as in your example.Start by writing a general term of the series in Euler form:sin 2k = Im(e^{i2k}) where 0 ≤ k ≤ 44 (since we have sin 88 in the series)Now group these terms into pairs:(sin
justwild

Homework Statement

To prove that [itex]\sum[/itex] over m=1 to 15 of sin(4m-2) = 1/4sin2, where all angles are in degress

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to solve it using identity sinx+siny=2sin((x+y)/2)cos((x-y)/2)..but all attempts failed..help

Physics news on Phys.org
Try opening the sigma first.
Assume that the sum is equal to S.
[tex]S=sin(2)+sin(6)+sin(10)+sin(14)+...[/tex]
Can you write it in the form:
[tex]S=sin(a)+sin(a+d)+sin(a+2d)...[/tex]
where d is the difference between two consecutive angles.

Last edited:
justwild said:

Homework Statement

To prove that [itex]\sum[/itex] over m=1 to 15 of sin(4m-2) = 1/4sin2, where all angles are in degress

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to solve it using identity sinx+siny=2sin((x+y)/2)cos((x-y)/2)..but all attempts failed..help

Are you allowed to use complex numbers? There's a way to do this using complex numbers, the sum of a geometric series, followed by a couple of trig identities, and it's not too hard.

Curious3141 said:
Are you allowed to use complex numbers? There's a way to do this using complex numbers, the sum of a geometric series, followed by a couple of trig identities, and it's not too hard.

Complex numbers? I would like to know that. :-p
I have derived a formula for this series of sine (when the angles are in Arithmetic Progression) but it's really lengthy. Please post your method of Complex numbers if the OP doesn't reply. That would help me. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Complex numbers? I would like to know that. :-p
I have derived a formula for this series of sine (when the angles are in Arithmetic Progression) but it's really lengthy. Please post your method of Complex numbers if the OP doesn't reply. That would help me. :smile:

Hello pranav,
I think what Curious3141 implies is that you express sin(θ) as the difference of a complex number and its conjugate in Euler form.The various terms form a G.P. which can be summed up and the rest of it is a little of trigonometry.
Hoping this helps.

regards
Yukoel

You was on the right track, just group numbers this time and do some trick:

Your sum expanded will look something like this:
sin2 + sin6 + sin10 + ... + sin50 + sin54 + sin 58

Now regroup them:
(sin2 + sin58) + (sin6 + sin54) + (sin10 + sin40) + (... groups)+ sin 30

Now notice that the all brackets have average of angle 30. (2+58, 6+54...)

That would be a good idea to define the angles from this average center 30, so instead let's write: sin2 = sin(30-28) and sin58 = sin(30+28)... etc.

Now we got something like this:

[ sin(30-28) + sin(30+28) ] + [ sin(30-24) + sin(30+24) ] + ... + sin30

For group members in brackets we can apply your suggested formula:
sin(a-x)+sin(a+x) = 2sina cosx

Now series simplifies to:
2sin30(cos28 + cos24 + cos 20 + cos16 + cos12 + cos8 + cos4) + sin30

Since sin30 = 1/2

Our series now is: cos28+cos24+cos20+...+ 1/2

Can you take it from here?

Yes you can use complex numbers..

Finally found the solution...

Here it goes,
let x=sin2+sin6+...+sin30+...sin58
multiplying 2sin2 on both sides,
2(sin2)x=2sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]2+2sin2(sin6)+2sin2(sin10)...2sin2(sin58)
simplifying further,
2(sin2)x=1+cos4+cos8-cos4+cos12-cos8...cos60-cos56
this implies,
2(sin2)x=1-cos4+cos4+cos8-cos8+cos12-cos12+...cos60
2(sin2)x=1-cos60
further,
2(sin2)x=1/2
Therefore,
x=1/4sin2
Which is the required solution.

Actually this question came in an entrance exam (IIT-JEE) in 2009--Q27 Maths section..you can download question paper at http://www.jee.iitb.ac.in/images/2009p1.pdf

Curious3141 said:

Please provide any alternative methods.

justwild said:
Please provide any alternative methods.

Sure. What you came up with is a very neat proof. But it looks a little "tailor-made" (post hoc) to the question. By which I mean that you chose to multiply by 2sin2 because of that term in the RHS.

Here's a slightly longer, but more general, method:

Start by recognising that your series S is composed of sines of arguments in arithmetic progression. Let the first term be "a" and the common difference be "d". Pranav has posted this form above.

This sum can also be represented as the Imaginary part of this complex series i.e. S = Im(z), where:

[tex]z = e^{ia} + e^{i(a + d)} + ... + e^{i[a + (n-1)d]}[/tex]

which is in fact a geometric series. Sum it the usual way.

[tex]z = \frac{e^{ia}(e^{ind} - 1)}{e^{id} - 1}[/tex]

Multiply both top and bottom by the complex conjugate of the denominator ("realise the denominator"), group terms, simplify:

[tex]z = \frac{e^{i[a+(n-1)d]} - e^{[i(a+nd)]} - e^{i(a-d)} + e^{ia}}{2(1 - \cos d)}[/tex]

from which you extract the imaginary part:

[tex]S = \frac{\sin{[a+(n-1)d]} - \sin{[(a+nd)]} - \sin{(a-d)} + \sin{a}}{2(1 - \cos d)}[/tex]

This is a general formula that allows you to compute the sum of a series of sines of arguments in AP. If you replace the sin with cos in the formula, you'll get the same for sums of cosines. The formula can likely be simplified further, but I just applied it in that form for this question.

Now simply plug in a = 2 degrees, d = 4 degrees. Technically, in analysis, we generally work in radian measure, but since we didn't do any differentiation or integration, the choice of measure doesn't matter here, and the formula still holds.

So:

[tex]S = \frac{\sin 58 - \sin 62 - \sin{(-2)} + \sin 2}{2(1 - \cos 4)}[/tex]

apply factor formula (i.e. [itex]\sin A - \sin B = 2\sin{\frac{A-B}{2}}\cos{\frac{A+B}{2}}[/itex]) to the first two terms and simplify:

[tex]S = \frac{-2\sin 2\cos 60 + 2\sin 2}{2(1 - \cos 4)} = \frac{\sin 2}{2(1 - \cos 4)}[/tex]

Finally, apply half-angle (or double-angle) formula to the denominator:

[tex]S = \frac{\sin 2}{2(1 - 1 + 2\sin^2 2)} = \frac{\sin 2}{4\sin^2 2} = \frac{1}{4\sin 2}[/tex]

as required.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
This sum can also be represented as the Imaginary part of this complex series i.e. S = Im(z), where:

[tex]z = e^{ia} + e^{i(a + d)} + ... + e^{i[a + (n-1)d]}[/tex]

Great technique. I didn't know that we can even do operations by taking the imaginary part of euler's formula this way. Thanks.:smile:

Hey justwild, seems like you got a lot of help since i went offline. Here's a general formula for the series of sine when the angles are in AP.
[tex]S=\frac{\sin\frac{nd}{2}}{\sin\frac{d}{2}}\cdot sin\frac{2a+(n-1)d}{2}[/tex]

And thank you Curious for the alternative method! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Hey justwild, seems like you got a lot of help since i went offline. Here's a general formula for the series of sine when the angles are in AP.
[tex]S=\frac{\sin\frac{nd}{2}}{\sin\frac{d}{2}}\cdot sin\frac{2a+(n-1)d}{2}[/tex]

And thank you Curious for the alternative method! :smile:

After simplifying my expression, I get the same form, although I prefer to express it as:

[tex]S_{\sin} = \frac{\sin{[a + \frac{1}{2}(n-1)d]}\sin{(\frac{1}{2}nd)}}{\sin{(\frac{1}{2}d)}}[/tex]

and the analogous expression for a sum of cosines is:

[tex]S_{\cos} = \frac{\cos{[a + \frac{1}{2}(n-1)d]}\sin{(\frac{1}{2}nd)}}{\sin{(\frac{1}{2}d)}}[/tex]

FAQ: Proving the trigonometric identity

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. In other words, it is a mathematical statement that is always true, regardless of the specific values of the trigonometric functions involved.

Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it helps to establish the validity of mathematical equations and can be used to simplify complex expressions. It also allows us to better understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and cofunction identities. These identities relate the values of trigonometric functions for different angles and are the building blocks for more complex identities.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is in the same form as the other side. This can involve using basic trigonometric identities, factoring, expanding, and simplifying. It is important to remember that you must prove the identity for all possible values of the variables involved.

What are some tips for proving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for proving trigonometric identities include starting with the more complex side of the equation, using substitution to simplify expressions, and breaking down the problem into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to have a list of basic trigonometric identities and properties on hand to reference. Additionally, it is important to double check your work and make sure that you have proven the identity for all possible values of the variables involved.