PWM Controller period and duty cycle questions

In summary, the PWM controller is having trouble understanding the results of the testing. When the POT resistance is increased, the duty cycle decreases. When the POT is left at a constant resistance and the source voltage is increased, the period decreases and the duty cycle remains constant. Does this mean that the switching frequency is increasing? If so, why?
Steve Collins
I've carried out some testing on a PWM controller using a 555 timer IC (see attached for circuit diagram) and I am having a little trouble understanding the results.

When the POT resistance is increased the duty cycle decreases. As I understand it, when the resistance is increased the voltage increases (V= IR). So to bring the voltage back down the switch stays closed for longer which means that the duty cycle decreases.

When the POT is left at a constant resistance and the source voltage is increased why does the period decrease and the duty cycle remain constant?

Does this mean that the switching frequency is increasing? If it is, why?

Attachments

• Doc2.docx
    20.1 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to read up on how the 555 works. Basically when configured as an oscillator the cap is charged and discharged between 1/3 and 2/3rd of the supply voltage.

The pot has three terminals and (together with the diodes) is set up so that one "side" of the pot is used for the charge phase and the other for the discharge phase. Moving the pot centre tap transfers resistance from the time constant for one phase to the other - so the mark space ratio changes.

Changing the supply voltage alters the "distance" (more correctly the "voltage difference") between 1/3rd VCC and 2/3rd VCC so the frequency will change. For example

At VCC=9V the switching thresholds would be at 3V and 6V a difference of 6-3=3V.

At VCC=10V the switching thresholds would be at 3.33V and 6.66V a difference of 3.33V which is greater. So the capacitor has to charge and discharge "further" before it switches and the frequency will be slightly slower.

Edit: I note that you say the period increases when the source voltage is increased. Is that correct? If so then note that the charging and discharging current also depends on the voltage across the pot which in turn depends on the output voltage swing on pin 3. That also changes with changing VCC. There are a lot of possible interactions. It's been a while since I used a 555 and I forget which dominates.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and guidance.

I will look into the 555 with the information you have given me in mind.

Last edited:

Related to PWM Controller period and duty cycle questions

1. What is a PWM controller and how does it work?

A PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller is an electronic device that controls the power supply to a load by rapidly switching it on and off. The duty cycle, or the percentage of time the load is on, is varied to regulate the average power output. This allows for precise control of voltage or current to the load.

2. What is the period of a PWM controller?

The period of a PWM controller is the total time it takes to complete one cycle of switching on and off. It is usually measured in milliseconds (ms) or microseconds (μs) and is determined by the frequency of the controller.

3. How is the duty cycle of a PWM controller calculated?

The duty cycle of a PWM controller is calculated by dividing the on-time (the time the load is switched on) by the period and multiplying by 100. This value is expressed as a percentage. For example, if the on-time is 2ms and the period is 10ms, the duty cycle would be 20%.

4. What is the significance of the duty cycle in a PWM controller?

The duty cycle determines the amount of power that is delivered to the load. A higher duty cycle means the load will receive more power, while a lower duty cycle results in less power. The duty cycle also affects the average voltage or current delivered to the load, making it an important factor in controlling the output of a PWM controller.

5. How can the duty cycle of a PWM controller be adjusted?

The duty cycle of a PWM controller can be adjusted by changing the on-time or the period. This can be done manually using potentiometers or through programming in a microcontroller. Some PWM controllers also have built-in feedback mechanisms that automatically adjust the duty cycle to maintain a constant output voltage or current.