Q about magnetic buckyballs and knots

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, Buckyballs are magnetic toys that can be lined up in two different orientations - same or opposite. When lined up in the opposite orientation, they can be made into a Mobius band or a knot with the insertion of a twist. However, when arranged in a rectangle of three layers, the same or alternating orientations will produce the same result, but not when two of the same orientations are next to each other. The same concept applies to rectangles of buckyballs with n-layers.
DeadWolfe
This about those magnetic toys buckyballs. My apologies, I don't really know any physics, so sorry if my terminology is confusing.

If one lines up two lines of buckyballs they can be lined up with the same orientation, (ie as they are in the cube when you get them) or oppositely (so that each ball in the top row touches two in the bottom row).

One can make this into a Mobius band iff the they are lined up in the opposite orientation. Likewise, it can be made into a knot iff they are oppositely oriented, or one inserts a twist.

If we make a rectangle of buckyballs 3 lines thick, we get the same result iff all three rows are oriented the same, or if they all alerternate orientation, but not if there are two the same next to each other and one different.

In general, for a rectangle of buckyballs n-layers thick, which orientations can one make a mobius band out of? Which knots can one tie?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadWolfe said:
This about those magnetic toys buckyballs. My apologies, I don't really know any physics, so sorry if my terminology is confusing.

If one lines up two lines of buckyballs they can be lined up with the same orientation, (ie as they are in the cube when you get them) or oppositely (so that each ball in the top row touches two in the bottom row).

One can make this into a Mobius band iff the they are lined up in the opposite orientation. Likewise, it can be made into a knot iff they are oppositely oriented, or one inserts a twist.

If we make a rectangle of buckyballs 3 lines thick, we get the same result iff all three rows are oriented the same, or if they all alerternate orientation, but not if there are two the same next to each other and one different.

In general, for a rectangle of buckyballs n-layers thick, which orientations can one make a mobius band out of? Which knots can one tie?

That is kind of confusing. You are saying the alternative is to have each ball in the top row touch one in the bottom row? It is hard to think of of a good word for this, so I see the problem.

Related to Q about magnetic buckyballs and knots

1. What are magnetic buckyballs and knots?

Magnetic buckyballs are small, spherical magnets that are shaped like a soccer ball. They are made of rare earth magnets, which have a strong magnetic force. Magnetic knots are complex structures made by connecting multiple buckyballs together in specific patterns.

2. How do magnetic buckyballs and knots work?

The strong magnetic force of the buckyballs allows them to attract and connect to each other, forming various shapes and patterns. When multiple buckyballs are connected in a specific way, they create a knot structure that can be manipulated and moved using the magnetic force.

3. What are the applications of magnetic buckyballs and knots?

Magnetic buckyballs and knots have various applications in different fields. They can be used in nanotechnology for drug delivery and targeted cancer treatment. In the field of mechanical engineering, they can be used as building blocks for creating new materials with unique properties. They can also be used in educational settings for teaching concepts of magnetism and geometry.

4. Are magnetic buckyballs and knots safe to handle?

Magnetic buckyballs and knots can be dangerous if swallowed, as they can cause serious internal injuries. Therefore, it is important to keep them out of reach of children and to handle them carefully. If ingested, seek medical attention immediately.

5. Can magnetic buckyballs and knots be used to create new materials?

Yes, magnetic buckyballs and knots can be used as building blocks for creating new materials with unique properties. By connecting buckyballs in different patterns, scientists can create materials with specific magnetic, mechanical, and electrical properties that can be useful in various applications.